Fixing a Sagging Couch

I would appreciate professional advice about my old sofa set that sags badly. I tried replacing the seat cushions, but that did not improve the situation. At first I thought that the springs are coil springs, but it turned out that they are actually what they call, conical springs. They look beautifully in tact, nothing looks loose or out of place.

The frame is of a very good hard wood and looks perfect. I have not found any upholsterer here who knows how to adjust the tension, if that would be possible at all. I would appreciate your advice very much.
Thank you.

By laleh from Abu Dhabi, UAE

Try putting a piece of fairly thick plywood (3/4 inch) under the cushions. Use a solid piece that covers the full length of the sofa.

Yup - my parents put a board under their slightly sagging sofa cushions & voila! It was fine.

September 29, 2009 Flag

The S springs in my couch are broken at the ends. Where do I find those parts to repair the sagging in the couch?

By Mac5267 from Raleigh, NC

Fixing a Sagging Couch

My husband said to put a piece of plywood in it and maybe it will work. If all else fails contact the place that you purchased it from, and ask about parts or go online with the brand name, etc. Hope this helps, and God bless. (05/03/2009)

Fixing a Sagging Couch

Take one of the springs for a sample and try the hardware store or one of the big home improvement stores. Someone there should be able to help you find the right spring. (05/09/2009)

By Lily May

Fixing a Sagging Couch

You won't find those type of springs at a hardware store. Most of your upholsters won't have them either, because they hardly ever break. Best bet is to go to, they sell the springs $1.30 per foot. Just measure a spring that is not broken and let them know how long you need it. They also carry the clips that the ends of the springs go into, if you need them.

David M. (05/19/2009)

By drdave1972

Sagging Couch
Fixing a Sagging Couch
Home and Garden Repair FurnitureSeptember 29, 2009
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
level and tape measure
Repairing a Sagging Floor
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
A woman caring for her skin.
Remedies for Sagging Skin