Browsing: Substitutes for Tomatoes in Recipes

Substitutions for Canned Tomatoes

What can I use to substitute canned tomatoes when making things like beef stew, gumbo, or spaghetti? My kids do not like tomatoes and I was wondering can I just substitute with canned tomato sauce?

Onesummer

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You can either use tomato sauce or tomato puree which do not contain the lumps of tomatoes which your children probably don't like.

I make my own homemade spaghetti sauce out of tomato puree, then add all the spices.

I think it would be fine to do that. You would have the tomato taste without the chunks of tomato. Good luck!

Tomato juice works great for stew and soups or

mix tomato juice with some paste? I hate lumps

of tomato too! But I love tomato flavored

anything. I always substitute. If you want some

veggie taste added too, add some V-8 juice.

You could use tomato juice or V8 Juice would have lots of flavor and vegetable value in. If tomatoes are cheaper, put them in the blender so there are no lumps.

I don't like tomatoes either. I take all tomatoes put them in the blender. I don't like the texture of tomatoes but once they are in the blender, they are okay. I even do this to tomatoes before I can them. Hope this helps. Grace

I use tomato juice and tomato paste when making spaghetti sauce.

v8 juice, tomato paste, tomato sauce, vegetable broth could all be used. Chicken or beef broth will give a different taste.

Yes you can use tomato sauce...Do the kids like pizza/ Spaghetti - O's or canned ravioli? They have tomato sauce/paste in them. Good luck .GG Vi

I use Tomato Juice alot now,, you can also run the

tomatoes through a blender,I do that as well cause my husband does not like tomotoe chunks in anything.

Tomatoe puree is better than sauce as it is the same as what you would get if you put them in the blender. You'll probably have to try a couple of "practice" dishes to adjust quantity and seasonings to taste. Good luck!

I have been able to find tomatoes in jars lately. Look in the health food type stores. You should be able to find them. They taste better and you don't have to worry about BPA in the can lining. (Bisphenol A) BPA can cause cancer.

I have an allergy to tomato so in stews I use pumpkin purée and sliced zucchini. I also use plum sauce for hamburgers etc. This seems to work well for me. 

Fettucine Alfredo
Substitutes for Tomatoes in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsFebruary 5, 2008
A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
jug of milk
Substitutions for Milk
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 7:20:35 PM on 10.0.1.157 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.