Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Garage Sale Tips and Tricks

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A woman putting a balloon on a garage sale sign.

Knowing a few tips and tricks can help make your garage sale successful. This is a guide about garage sale tips and tricks.

Solutions: Garage Sale Tips and Tricks

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Tips for Having a Successful Garage Sale

Here are some tips to have a great garage sale:

• Pick the right date, the first and fifteenth are when people receive their social security checks and/or pay checks.

• Choose a weekend nothing else is going on, such as community events or holidays.

• Give yourself several weeks, even months to get ready. Afterall you've got to gather and clean items.

• I set aside items all year.

• Arrange items according to use and or size and age appropriateness: clothing, toys, electronics, kitchen items, furniture, etc.

• Price or don't, it's up to you. Personally I've made more having things unpriced. People love to barter. Whatever you decide make sure your customers know. For instance if you choose not to price put a large sign out front telling people to make an offer, and mention it as they come up.

• If you choose to price recycle what you have, masking tape or leftover price tags. Don't go spend money, there is something around your house!

• Use large neon colored signs with bold black lettering for your signs. Make sure if you live in a neighborhood to have matching signs with arrows pointing the way. Better homes and Gardens suggest using balloons on your mail box, I think this is a terrific idea!

• Advertise where you can, the local paper, or convenient store, Craigslist is a great option too.

• Have the stuff you need ready. Cash and change, bags for buyers, extra batteries, a calculator, an electric supply close at hand.

• Place your big stuff closer to the road to help grab attention. Use bright colors to help attract attention to your displays.

• Come up with catchy ways to hang or display your accessories, purses, diaper bags, jewelery, belts and shoes. Better homes and Gardens also suggests staging your sale like a department store.

• Use space to your advantage, go up not down. Use hanging bars and shoe racks, (even if not for sale ) to help you display things.

By Mistie

Tip: Provide Laundry "Shopping" Basket At Garage Sale

When having a garage sale, set out a few empty laundry baskets for your shoppers to grab and fill up. Makes it much easier for them to shop and also, they will more than likely buy more because they have an easy way of carrying around they items.

By Twinsand2more from ND

Tip: Bring Lightly Colored Sunglasses to Garage Sales

When going to yardsales, bring some slightly colored sunglasses (amber) it will show all the stains on clothes, bedspreads, table clothes, etc. that you can not see with the naked eye.

Important if you choose to color an item or if you want to deal a little.

By Dee

Tip: Yard Sale Tip

I know with all the yard sales this time of year, many people are buying second hand and giving new life to their finds. When pricing items, many types of pricing elements are hard to remove and leave sticky residue. The best thing I have found for marking your price is painter's tape. It is designed to be easily removed without leaving any tell-tale sign it was placed there. And it's easy to write your price on and easy to tear. So that makes it time efficient not having to use scissors to cut. While preparing for a yard sale is time consuming, this will help make thing go a little bit quicker. I have bought things in the past at sales and some things were damaged just trying to remove all the sticky stuff.

By Tricia from VA

Tip: Ask for What You Are Looking for at Garage Sales

When you are looking for something in particular at yard sales and don't see it, just ask. I have found that sellers are "motivated to sell" once they have started and will sometimes go into the house and bring out the item you are looking for. My mother even asked if a plant was for sale and the owner chose to sell it.

By DebraDee from Marion, NC

Tip: Tips to a Successful Yard Sale

I have been to and I have had many yard sales and I have noticed a few things that would affect how well a yard sale pans out.

First and most important are your signs. The bigger the better, keep them simple and lead your customer. Driving around you will see many signs along the road that are not "official" signs: biggest loser, real estate, car wash, and lawn care to name a few.

Make your sign "big" to stand out. Make your arrow noticeable so a driver doesn't have to strain to see which way to go. Post the sign "before" the street corner (and if you have the signs, at the corner also) so the driver has time to slow down and turn (or even cross to another lane before turning).

Make sure the sign has support. Wind and heat makes cardboard fold in on itself and if a driver can't read it they can't visit you. So put a clothes hanger across the top to keep the sign open. Or, if you're nailing up your signs, a piece of wood across the top. It doesn't need to be big enough for the whole sign, just big enough to go from corner to corner at the top.

Along busy roads, don't bother putting your address on the sign, a driver doesn't have time to really read it. But further down the road, on the way to your yard sale, put your address. You may also mention roughly how far down the road you are if it will be a distance.

In the past, people have used bright color paper for yard sales. This is good especially if you use the same color paper for all your signs. This way people will know if they are following signs for the same yard sale.

If there is another yard sale on the route to yours, put another sign up just past the other yard sale. Somewhere it can be seen by anyone pulling up to your competition, in route to your sale.

If your place is really far off the beaten path, try to find another place for your yard sale closer to traffic. A friend's house or the parking lot of a business not open on the day of your sale. Make sure you ask permission. In some places, there are already areas that have been made sort of "unofficial" yard sale lots along busy roads. Booths and tables are available for use, in limited supply, but they are "first come first serve" so you have to get there early.

Try to make sure that where ever you have your yard sale, there is room for cars to be parked. If the parking area is unclear, you may need to put up signs that say "Park Here".

With regard to the yard sale itself, make sure prices are clear either marked on items or on signs.

And remember, people like a bargain. If you have "lots" of clothes, get a bunch of plastic grocery bags and ask $5 a bag. Fit in what clothes you can and if the bag closes, they are all yours for $5.

If you have lots of CDs or DVDs, you may ask $3 each, 2 for $5, and 5 for $10.

The important thing to remember about your yard sale is whatever doesn't sell, you have to put away. Ask what you think something is worth, but after lunch, start accepting less. After lunch, most serious yard sale shoppers stop going to yard sales. The exception being those people looking for bargains or something in particular. Or someone who happens to be driving by and sees something they are interested in.

Source: experience

By

Article: My Best Garage Sale Tips

After taking my grandmother around to hundreds of garage sales when I was a teen, I began having sales when I was married. Here are some of my tips:

Setting Up

Great signage is one of the single most important factors that can make a sale a success! Not just a good sign, but lots of good and accurate signs with arrows at all possible points. Write them on bright colored poster board or glue this onto weighted boxes at the most strategic points; corners, intersections, and medians (if not illegal where you live). Without breaking the law, there are ways to get around it if you cannot "attach" to a telephone or public utility pole, or if a land owner thinks they own past a sidewalk to the street. Get permission from an owner before placing a box at their corner, home or retail location. Have the garage sale on the weekend, Friday to Saturday, then possibly Sun, 1:00 PM to dark, is a good way to avoid problems.
  1. Make the sign with a wide tip permanent marker in dark large lettering.

2. Cover the lettering/sign with clear plastic and tape in case of rain.

3. Well in advance of the sale, drive the area and study where the traffic flow/reasonable eye-sight and distance from stopped traffic and from the ongoing traffic view is. Giving the potential buyer about three car lengths to see and assimilate the sign info is critical. The good thing about using a mid sized box with a large rock to weight it down is that it is not likely to blow over, nor is a disgruntled buyer as likely to knock down your sign or steal it outright, as was my experience one year.

4. The morning of the sale, put your cash box and signs in your car and drive to put them out, before your sale begins. I find that hours complicate things, so I recommend describing exactly where it will be in the title: use, yard sale, garage sale, driveway sale, patio sale, lawn sale, sidewalk sale, or neighborhood, church, or private sale, helps the buyer to prepare and to look for the location without such stress. You may know where you live, but they do not. You are trying to draw them in, not keep them away, right? Use correct arrows to help them. Do not use a sign with the arrow in the wrong direction. Take a hammer if using a sign, and plenty of medium rocks, if using boxes. Plan no more than you can carry in one or two trips.
Dress well when you place them out, because some buyers will see you right away as you are placing the boxes. Have some adult at your home while you are gone, because you cannot beat the first buyers from the first box/directions, back to your home. Have your cars placed in front of your home, out of the way in your driveway, and if necessary, use the car to place a "Sale Here" box on top of the car, for those to see from a distance who are near and driving up wondering where your sale is. I will not shop a sale that has no prices on the items. I use a roll of narrow masking tape and write the price/short description on every single item the week/day/night before. I will not shop a messy, dirty sale, with things thrown all over the grass with no care. Take the time to use whatever you have to display items in some reasonable order to make your sale, "buyer friendly". I tend to think a seller is sizing me up in order to judge what I might be able to pay, and am offended and not likely to buy anything at all. Remember that your sale is not the only one in the city. Your things may not be as important to others as they are/were to you. You're not a retail store, nor are your things always another man's treasures. In fact, most things are truly junk, not treasures, I believe. In the heat of the summer, place the sale under the shade of a tree or set up patio umbrellas, or an inexpensive canopy. If cold, have it inside a warm garage, or defer to spring/summer/fall.

Pricing And Selling

The rule of thumb is to price about 10% of the original value of the item, unless new, then you can double it, or take "offers" and the chance on whether they want it or not. When using masking tape or labels for prices, attach them to the inside of lapels, underside of collars, and not on any outside area, because the sun can melt some of the adhesive to fabrics or plastic. Another way to price is to have a large well placed/written poster near the cashier area with summaries: dresses $____, blouses/shirts $_____, shoes/bags/hats $ _____, furniture as marked. Remembering that in most cities, there are limits to the number of days one can have a sale in their home. Ours is three days, three times a year, I believe. I forget from year to year, and suggest that you check. Regardless, keep in mind that you only have a few days to make the sale and move your things out of your way for some price. Put enough thought into it that you decide in advance, not at the sale, what is your minimum price, because most want to "bargain" for the lowest price, usually asking, "Will you take $________for this and this?" Choose found/used doors covered in table cloths for sale tables on top of lawn chairs, smaller tables, TV trays, tire stacks, boxes, etc. Try not to sell too much at a time. It's confusing and messy. If it is your first sale, be very careful because you may not know the value of your belongings passed down to you from relatives. I lost precious items this way, only regretting it later. Get books from the library about what is more valuable at a sale. Remember that collectors buy one at a time, usually, and go to other sales to get familiar with pricing in your area. Do not keep a cash box in full sight, but rather use a fanny pack around your tummy and keep it zipped up and in front of you, keeping a sharp eye and feel on it at all times. I have had two cash boxes stolen off a table next to me at sales. Keep a calculator handy inside your fanny pack rather than to rely upon your scrambled memory at the moment. Keep whatever large bill an individual has given you in between three fingers of one hand, while you give/count change with the other, so there is no misunderstanding about the correct change. Remember that you cannot deplete your only change (starting with about $25 at the beginning of the sale, in mixed bills/change of quarters only). Also, in this day and time, with so much crime/poverty rampant, watch children who walk out with things in their hands, watch adults who wear jackets/hats, and groups where one tries to keep you engaged in questions while the others steal. This happened to me several times. Do not have two cashiers. Thieves will get a price for something or two from you, pick up a third or fourth and walk to the other cashier saying that you said, $____. The second cashier will shout the price out to you and you will not realize it was not just for the items you quoted, and cannot see the extra items in the buyer's hand(s). Save and use every possible bag you have so that everything gets bagged as they leave the sale. This way, if someone carries something out in their hand, you can more easily see it. Always have at least one other adult as a helper/substitute for when you need to take a short break for any reason. Two more helpers is even better, so that one can always watch for thieves.

Organization

I like a sale that divides men/women/children/ family/infant areas, to make my shopping easier, friendlier. Also, do not set your prices too high, and do not reduce your asking price too much, to avoid those who want something for nothing. Save that for the very last hour of your sale, and you will have to bargain, often time for the whole remaining lot, at a price. When selling clothes, wash, fold, stack/hang them, to get the best prices. Good toys need to be near the check out table and off the ground. Tough, more used child-proof toys can go on the ground for testing by a child. If selling hats/shoes, become totally familiar with them and have helpers to watch buyers head, feet, hands, arms, purses and signaling to one another. There are many scams and opportunists today that frequent all sorts of sales to rip folks off. There are also some very kind, honest buyers, but a few only appear to be when, in fact, are "dealers in disguise" who are buying your item as cheap as they can talk you down for, only to sell it for a huge profit. These often buy a lot of merchandise and use the excuse "since I am buying so much, will you take $____ for them all?" Seldom is it a bargain for you, unless it's the end of the sale and you really want to move the merchandise and not have to store it. I have "given away" items rather than have to store them, so the bottom line is yours. Once you make a decision, don't look back with regret, let it go and relax, you've got a garage sale to clean up. Another kind of garage sale that I benefitted from was one with all "giveaway prices". This was a Christian family who would have just donated good items to charity, but decided to ask a little something and enjoy seeing who got what. It was a god-send for me when I needed clothing for cheap, because I had almost no money. I got whole outfits for $.50/1.00. The elderly need and appreciate low low prices, as well. If you have sales regularly, as some in our area do, all rules are different, prices are usually fixed, and there's less negotiations. But when you see lots of dust and rusty junk, you can know that it's not a true garage sale, but is likely just someone who perhaps has sales for a living.

Be Honest

Don't sell anything that's booby-trapped, damaged, broken beyond repair, rotten, or contaminated without telling the buyer about it. Do unto them as you would have them to do unto you: the Golden Rule. Be honest with yourself, asking, "are my things out of style, coming back into style, or all worn out?" Price accordingly. Listen to what a buyer is saying, especially if more than one says something. If no one is buying, either your prices are too high, your products too bad, your signs are gone/moved, or you may have something negative in the sale area, such as wrong music, eating during the sale in front of the buyers, your animals/children under foot, some unpleasant odor in the air, or something broken and obviously not worth the price. I prefer electronic items to be together, tools to be together, and toys to be together. Have as little as possible out that is not for sale. Sold" signs on items is OK, but not too many. I like having a table from which to buy a good cold canned drink for $1.00, And perhaps a packaged healthy snack. Watch the ground on which you have your sale. Keep it clean, clear, and safe, so that buyers are welcomed, not soiled or sorry.

Smile And Welcome Everyone

You have taken the time to sell on little sleep and short patience with the disarray of your belongings or someone elses. Be patient. Take a multivitamin for your nerves, or have a cup of coffee before the buyers arrive. Don't chit-chat on the phone while you have buyers. Be interested in them, but give them plenty of time/space to think and shop. They'll be able to buy more, if they want what you have. Walk around, sit little. Keep your eyes open. Act kind but firm. Wear a bright colored shirt/blouse so that helpers can tell inquirers who to pay. I play gentle Christian music at my sales, because I believe it draws honest folks, disarms/discourages thieves, and blesses all who hear. I watch the weather and plan accordingly, with plastic ready and available, plans for moving items in case of downpour/high wind/night time. I never leave my items outside for the next day, unless there is too much junk i'd just as soon someone steal. With every purchase, I appreciate getting a "thank you, i hope you enjoy that!", it helps in case the person might tell someone else about your sale. Also, should you have address labels to spare, keep them handy for anyone who might need to return or send another there. Don't give them out for no good reason. Have a sign that says, "all sales final" or "we cannot guarantee used items. Choose wisely and please handle carefully. If you buy or break it, you own it." One of my most favorite signs is just outside of the buying area/fence. On a child's art easel, "Thanks for coming. God bless you." seen as the buyer leaves, and "Welcome. Come on in!" on the side seen as they come in.

Helpful Hints

Never talk to others or your helpers about how much you have made in your sale. Never lie about something. If you don't know, just say that. If you do, tell the truth, the buyer might want it anyway. Take the condition of an item into consideration as you price/bargain, and remember how much time you have left in the sale, unless you like storing leftover items for the next sale. During one of your breaks, empty your cash/fanny pack into a private place in your locked home. If you are robbed or held up, the loss will not be as great. Keep only the bare minimum and accept no very large bills for small purchases, suggesting that there is a store nearby where they can get change for it. Do not deplete your change, unless the sale of the century for a big profit. Do not try to babysit during the sale. Pick up your boxes every single PM To assure yourself of having them for morning. Good luck and God bless you! I believe the most important things to remember are: good signage, greatest locations, price all items fairly, keep it clean, stay alert, and have pleasing music playing. By Lynda from TX

Tip: Tips Gathered from My Recent Yard Sale

I just had a yard sale this past weekend and tried several new things that I thought may be helpful to others looking for yard sale ideas.

I recently saw a package of dye-cut type stars in florescent colors for $4-5. Instead of paying that price, I used florescent paper and used a star shaped stencil in various sizes and cut out my own. These worked great for pricing large items and I even stapled them onto hanging clothes so the price was easy to locate. I also wrote the size on the star to slow down people taking the clothes off of the hangers.

My husband made me some a-frame sign stands that stood about a foot high. They were perfect to set up with signs on both sides and did not impair the traffic. The only thing I would recommend is the one you place at the end of your driveway, make sure you place it several feet from the edge and/or make it taller than one foot high because ours got ran over quite a few times.

I had several electrical items for sale that I put up on a top shelf of a shelving unit I was not selling. I posted signs that they ask for assistance with items on top shelf and I kept an extension cord nearby to plug in the items to show customers that they still worked.

I could not afford to buy batteries for every toy and item that had dead batteries, so I bought batteries and kept a screwdriver on hand for safety screws on toys, etc. and I could put the batteries in long enough to show them they worked, but I was not giving away the batteries. ha ha

I also bought those tags with strings attached and used those on delicate items that I did not want to place a sticker on or used them for items that a sticker would not stick well on.

Tawnda

Tip: Garage Sale: Label Boxes by Price

When organizing I always find things to sell in my annual garage sale. I put these items in boxes labeled by price ($1, $5, etc.) This saves a lot of time later when I actually price the items just before the sale.

By Erin from Jackson, MS

Tip: Prepare For Garage/Yard Sales Early

Get boxes NOW and start the year off right, by decluttering your home, closets and garage. You can also price items at the same time. You will be ready in the spring for a great Garage/Yard Sale. You can do a little at a time.

By Syd

Tip: Sell Refreshments At Your Garage Sale

To make more money at your next yard sale, sell refreshments, too! Watch the sales for a few weeks before your event, and stock up on canned sodas at bargain prices. The day of the sale, put them in a cooler with ice and put up a big sign "cold drinks, .50" or whatever price lets you make a little profit, but keeps the price appealing.

For early mornings, you could put coffee in a thermos or carafe and sell cups of coffee -- but then you would have to deal with cream & sugar, trash, etc. One year I went to the bread thrift store and bought two dozen donuts at $1 a dozen, then sold the donuts at my yard sale for .25 each!

By Becki in Indiana

Tip: Bag Bargain Garage Sale

This is a little late for the garage sale issue, but if getting rid of clutter is your main reason for having a sale, Bag Bargains is the quickest and easiest way to accomplish this and make a little money, too.

We have had great success with all the little items that accumulate in junk drawers, etc. Things like can openers and silverware, books, hair accessories, knick knacks, etc. Just put everything out in boxes...no need to sort. ...post a BIG sign that announces your price...We do 50 cents an item or $1.00 a bag, and have collected as high as $75.00 during a sale.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Tip: Bargain Season - Garage Sale Tips

"The signs of the season are here: "Yard Sale, Garage Sale, Moving Sale, Estate Sale." It's time to clear out the old and the unwanted and, for some of us, a time to find new treasures. Television programs that show people picking up pots or paintings for a few dollars and selling them for hundreds or thousands can bring out the spirit of adventure in a lot of us. Especially for these folks, the weekend treasure hunt season is on!"

Tip: Garage or Yard Sale Tips

Spring is the time when we all start thinking about Garage or Yard Sales again. It is a good way to make some extra money and get rid of extra items. Garage Sales can be fun but are time consuming and can be hard work. Good planning can help you have a successful sale.

If you are really organized this can be a throughout the year effort. Keep some price tags around you can price things as you find them for the sale.

If this is your first garage sale, these tips may help.

First, go through every cupboard and drawer in your house and look for things that you haven't used or worn in the last year. Be brutal. You probably won't miss any of it. Sort the items into categories. Like new items you might want to save in a box for birthday and holiday gifts.

For the items you want to get rid of, sort them into categories i.e. kitchen, linens, clothing, auto, tools, craft. Put odds and ends in plastic bags. There are always people looking for bits and pieces. What may be worthless to you can be a treasure to another.

As you collect things, have price tags ready and put the items in boxes so they are all ready to put out for your sale. Keep in mind that sometimes labels and price tags can leave marks on perfectly good items. (Especially after they have been sitting in the sun for a while.) Small slips of paper work well stapled to clothing. A grease pen can price glassware and dishes. Easy peel labels are good for other things. Be creative with your price tags but make sure they don't damage a good item.

Try to have your sale in good weather if possible. If you are giving an outdoor sale this is obviously very important. Also it is not good to give a sale when it is too hot. People tend to be at the beach rather than "garage saling." This, of course, varies from area to area. In any case, try to have your items protected from sun or showers.

Have healthy snacks made ahead of time because sometimes it is difficult to leave the sale to cook or eat. When you get tired and hungry, garage sales can be a drag. If you can go together with a friend or neighbor it will help share the work load and give each of you time for a break.

Have plenty of change ready. Invariably when you don't have enough change, the first 3 shoppers will give you large bills. Try to have lots of smaller bills, ($1, $5, $10) quarters and dimes. Put the amount your change on a slip of paper in your cash box so you know what you started with. If you are having a sale with others have a sheet of paper so you can keep track of everyone's sales.

Make sure you have a safe place for your cash. Don't leave it out while you run into the house. Most people are honest but you'd hate to have all your hard earned money and change taken.

There are many early garage sale shoppers, have your sale start at 8 or 9 AM. If possible, try to have everything set out the night before and covered so your morning preparation is minimal.

Have everything priced if possible. Some people will not ask a price and will pass up an item you would have sold for next to nothing. Remember that people are looking for all kinds of things at a garage sale. Old windows, building materials, old magazines, records, clothing, craft materials, blankets and bedding, collectibles, dishes, kitchen appliances, stereos, TV's, car parts, tires, tools, baby stuff, toys and antiques, notions, hardware of all sorts.

Just about anything you have might be just what someone is looking for. Although you want to keep everything inexpensive, many veteran garage sale shoppers will try to talk you down on every price so keep that in mind while pricing.

A good rule of thumb for like new merchandise is half the lowest price you have seen for the item. Clothing unless in perfect condition and very fashionable will usually not bring big prices. The lower your prices, the more items that will sell.

Display of your items is very important. Try to arrange items on tables, shelves, or blankets. You have created a temporary store and if everything is thrown together like junk, your buyers will think it is junk. Group items together with like items. Make sure the items are clean and dusted. If you are holding the sale over a few days, make sure to cover everything left outside overnight so it won't get damaged.

If you really want to get rid of everything, tell shoppers that you will sell everything for 1/2 price at noon on the last day of the sale. Arrange to donate what is left after the sale so you don't have to haul it back inside.

Put up signs at major intersections near your home. If there are other sale signs pointing in your direction let their signs lead the customers to your sale, too. Take down old dilapidated signs from past sales and put them in the trash.

If you are having a large sale or have special things such as items from an estate, antiques or specialty items, advertise in the newspaper. Make sure your signs are sturdy and readable.

PLEASE even though you are tired when the sale is over, don't forget to take down your signs.

By Fisher Swanson and Susan Sanders-Kinzel

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Garage Sale Tips and Tricks.

Question: Garage Sale Survival Tips

Here are garage sale tips shared by the ThriftyFun community.

By Deborah Shelton

Most Recent Answer

By Allison07/23/2009

Also try grouping like priced things on one table and putting a sign that says "All books $1" instead of marking each one, will help reduce your energy.

Question: Planning a Yard Sale

I have tons of kids stuff that I would love to clear out. I have no idea how to have a yard sale. I have never really been to a yard sale, but would love to get something for all our old and unneeded items. Can anyone help a first timer get started?

By Trisha S.

Most Recent Answer

By Flyingbug [1]03/31/2013

Hi, Trisha! Our family had a couple of yard sales last weekend.

Some suggestions:
1) Advertise. Check the local papers about rates to advertise your yard sale. Put signs up the day before, if you're allowed (and remember to take them down after). Tell your friends.

2) Organize. Put price stickers on beforehand. Clothes should be on hangers or on a table. Knickknacks and other items should be on tables (even a board on two sawhorses will work nicely).

3) Most yard sales are on Saturdays.

4) Check the local regulations for yard sales. Some require permits, some limit how many yard sales per year.

5) IF you are in a condo complex, check with the HOA. They might only allow a yard sale once per year (a complex-wide sale). If so, you might have to have your yard sale someplace else if their date is too far away.

6) Drinks, munchies, and sunblock--remember all three. Drinks to prevent dehydration, munchies for hunger, and sunblock + a hat to keep from sunburn and headache.

7) Set up early the day of the yard sale--many people bargain-hunting early.

8) Bags and change--very important. Bags to carry things away in, and change because people don't always have exact change.

Hope that helps!

Question: Garage Sale Humor

Once I was online and discovered some funny amusing stories that actually occurred at garage sales. Is there anyway we can make a spot here on Thriftyfun for each member to post their funny stories. I would really enjoy reading these and perhaps posting some. Thanks.

By Carol from Waynesboro, GA

Editors Note: Please post your garage sale anecdotes below.

Most Recent Answer

By linda roberts [5]01/16/2011

Once when my son was about 5, we were at a garage sale both looking around different areas. Suddenly I heard "hey mom, hey mom come look at this, here is something for 100 dollars at a garage sale!" Cute

Question: Preventing Customers from Changing Prices at a Garage Sale

Any suggestions on how to price items that customers can't physically change by swapping stickers or move to another area with a lower designated price? I want to do this without marring the object.

By SuSu from Birmingham, AL

Most Recent Answer

By GRAMMY 007 [1]07/05/2010

Hi. I've had close to 60 yard sales over the last 20 years including some big charity fundraisers. I mark everything with 3/4 inch wide masking tape (cheapest one at Home Depot). You can just write what the item is, GF Grl $5 (George Foreman Grill), or GE PHN $2 (GE Phone). For items tape would obviously damage (ie. decorative paper storage boxes or a finely painted plaque), just pull off an extra long piece of tape and fold one third of it back on itself sticky sides together, that part is your label.

Attach remaining sticky part where it cant damage (on the inside edge of paper lid with label end hanging down to be seen). On a figurine attach to the bottom of the figure with price seen without picking up the item. I mark clothes for size and price but do not attach tape to the outside of the garment. Blouses, shirts, coats, jackets, vests and PJs are priced inside just below the collar. Slacks, shorts and skirts are taped on the rear inside of waistband. Use brand or color initials to ID item Fashion Bug (FB), LC (Liz C), RD PNT (Red Pant).

Keep your writing larger for size and dollar amount. The ID abbreviations are just an "aside" for you to know the price tag is on the correct garment. If you've been using pre-made tags this may seem like a lot of work, but for the average yard sale it's easy. I write mostly directly on the tape roll using a permanent non smear marker. I definitely would never recommend not pricing items as I know for a fact pricing items increases sales. For a 2006 AML Leukemia benefit I insisted on and personally marked every item that jam packed sixty (8' x 3') tables. This remains the most successful benefit with which I have been involved.

Good Luck with your sale.

Question: Mapping My Garage Sale Route

How do I create a map that shows my garage sale route. I have 15 addresses and I wanted them mapped out so I don't have to backtrack.

Thank you,

Corinne

Most Recent Answer

By Shawn (Guest Post)01/08/2009

This is a website I found that will do what you are looking for. It maps your local craigslist yardsale listings, but it will also let you add other stops (with addresses or else double clicking the map) and arrange the correct order. Then it lets you send the route to google maps for printing. The handy part is that it shows you an updated route as you rearrange the order of your stops.

yardsaletreasuremap.com

Question: My First Garage Sale

HI, I am getting ready to have my first garage sale in the middle of next month. Anyone have any tips to make it a success? I have a bunch of reasonably good stuff that I would like to turn into some cash to help fund some camping trips we want to go on this summer.

Thanks in advance, Anne.

Most Recent Answer

By Tawnda (Guest Post)05/07/2004

WE have been doing yard sales every year since I was a kid. Several times a year we would all pitch together for one sale (aunts, uncles, cousins) and mark our own items with our initials. That can be a hassle at times, but it is still fun.

Find out if you are required to have a license for a sale in your city. Some come with an ad in the newspaper, signs, etc. Also check with your local newspaper if the city does not offer those free items. If you buy an ad they give you free signs. Our newspaper gives you several signs and a few sheets of price stickers with your ad.

Make signs large enough to read, but not so large it impairs traffic from seeing around them. Make your print large enough that it can be seen or followed from a car following your signs. ALWAYS be sure to take your signs down. In our town they fine you for not taking them down.

Price your items to sell. You will rarely get out of them what you paid. I have watched that new show, "Clean Sweep" and have learned a lot. Antique, vintage, expensive items, etc. can usually be priced by looking up similar items on ebay and go off of that. Maybe even print it off to tape on or near your item so that buyers can see that this item is going for that price on ebay. You can always say, "Hey if I dont sell it here I can put it on ebay".

If you have your sale posted as starting at 8 a.m., you are guaranteed to have "professional yard salers" waiting at 7 to watch you set up. Some will ask to shop. It is up to you, but be prepared.

Have lot's of change, but don't keep it all in your change box. Keep a lot of it inside your door in an inconspicuous place that you can get to easily without having to take your eyes off of your sale.

If you have small toys like the McDonalds toys or toy sets that go together, invest in gallon or sandwich ziplocks. You can get the store brands very cheap. I place items in the bag and seal the bag with clear tape. This prevents them from being opened and lost. Put a price on each bag.

Clothing is the worst to have to price, but if you have prices from 10 cents to $5 they could get mixed up. I have gone to sales where they used color dots to mark the items and then you had to track down their price scale as to which dot went to what price. Some use boxes and mark each box, but it is so hard to go through and find things without dumping it all out and more expensive items can get mixed in with less expensive ones. And this myth that you can stack them on a table and they stay there neatly is a true myth. ha ha You are going to have people like the tazmanian devil come in there and unfold every item and set it aside to look at the next and not put it back. If you are able to use a clothing rack, a closet rod from your closet in your house hung by wire or string, etc. Or if you have a yard with a chain link fence you can hang them there. If you hang the clothes I would reccomend getting wire hangers. People will fight you for yours at your sale. One or two isn't a bid deal, but it adds up if you keep letting them go. You can buy metal hangers at most secondhand stores. They rarely use them any more and will bundle them and sell the bundles for 25 cents or so.

For clothing you can use a quilters gun and cut your own pricetags from posterboard. This prevents stickers from falling off or being switched. You can also use a stapler and staple the tags into the tag on the back of the item if it is a material that could be ruined by stapling it.

If you don't have enough tables, use boxes turned upside down or lay down a plastic tarp, tablecloth or sheet to lay items on. For some it is hard to bend down and look, but for others it is nice they don't have to worry about knocking things over.

If you have items that you no longer want that don't sell at the sale, you can call Salvation Army, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, etc. and they can come pick those up from you. Sometimes you can call them ahead of time and set up a pick-up time for the evening after your sale or the following morning. They do this for free as you are donating to their organization.

If you have sets of items, you may want to find large clear trash bags or tape them together so that they do not get separated or pieces lost. The downside to tape is that the sun melts the sticky stuff onto it.

If you have larger items that others can't see, like furniture, tires, etc. Make a big poster or two and post them near where you sit with your money box or in an area where it is seen well. I have seen sales have an easel or childs chalkboard stand at the end of their driveway right in the center so that you saw it right off the bat. This kept cars from trying to block the driveway as well. Be sure that if you are using furniture like tables or coffee tables or your easel for the sign, to place tape on it saying "NOT FOR SALE".