Cleaning A Pizza Stone

I have 2 "pizza stones" that I've never used. I'd like to use them when the weather is cooler and let my boys learn to make pizza. However, I lost the directions, so I have no idea how to use or clean the stones. I think I can figure out how to use them, with all the available recipes, but how do I clean them and do I need to oil them or anything? Thanks!

By Judy

Use hot water, nothing else. Don't use soap because the stone will absorb it and it will be released into your next pizza, yuck! You can put a little oil on it when you store it, but you don't have to. The oil will help preserve the color of the stone.

After washing with hot water only, season it with oil and place it in the oven on the normal pizza cooking temp for the normal pizza cooking time. Allow to cool and put it away. You really don't have to do anything other than wipe it off with a dry scrubber thereafter after baking pizza on it. :-)

Iggroen is exactly right. They do get stained, but it doesn't effect use. I just scrape mine when necessary.

Ditto on everyone who strongly suggested never to use soapy water on it; also, a pal of ours who uses them every day passes along that if you've got some stubborn left-behinds on it, put the stone in a hot ( 475-500 F) oven for about an hour, let cool and the remnants should easily come off.

Thanks for all the info. Mine's been sitting awhile & had spider webs on it(in the box), so I wasn't sure how to clean it. Guess I'll use hot water then bake it awhile. Glad to know not to use soap, I'd thought about doing just that! I did a search for it & couldn't find anything, now I see it archived, oh well.

Pizza With Slice Cut out on Pizza Stone
Cleaning a Pizza Stone
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 25, 2010
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
🎄