Removing Stains on Countertops

Category Stains
Spills and general use can leave stains on your countertops. This is a guide about removing stains on countertops.

Dampen the counter top and sprinkle some good ol' baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) on the stain, just enough to cover it. With a little elbow grease, the stain will vanish.

Source: Baking soda is great for so many things - from being a natural tooth paste, to natural deodorant, and stainless steel sink shiner!

Best to use comet and a abrasive dish cloth(non-steel).

For more power combine with nail polish remover.

Interestingly, baking soda, vinegar, all-purpose windex, and nail polish remover alone or in combination had little effect.

Porcelain Countertop

This is a guide about repairing marks on porcelain countertop. A porcelain finish can get marked and scratched. Removing or covering these blemishes can help it look better.

A paste made with baking soda and water will take Kool-Aid stains out of counters.

By Tara

Toothpaste works good.

I used to decorate cakes for fun and always ended up with red food coloring on my counter tops. Then I discovered it could be removed by making a paste of cream of tartar and water. Place a small amount of the cream of tartar and water mixture on the stain, and then rub with a clean wet dishcloth. If it doesn't come right off, leave the cream of tartar paste on the stain longer before washing off with a clean wet dishcloth.

Lacquer thinner will easily remove stains from Formica countertops. Be careful not to get it on the wood edge as it will also remove the finish on the edge.

For wine stains, I just mix a molding plaster and then bleach it to form paste. Apply the paste on the stain and leave for 30 minutes then rinse with water. For organic stains like juice, tea and coffee, I use 3 drops of ammonia and 12 percent of hydrogen peroxide.

To remove a stain such as food color or fruit stains from a light-colored cabinet top, try putting some dishwasher soap, preferably gel, on a wet cloth and lay it on the stain. The stain should disappear within a few minutes. By Peanut Patty

I used a kitchen mat to dry wet utensils, but the kitchen mat has left a dark print on the white counter top. How do I remove the dark stain? Please help.

By PB

Best Answer

The marks are from the dyes in the towel. You may want to try scrubbing the area with a moist sponge and baking soda. Then, if there are any marks left, bleach area and let set. Depending on the dye, it should come up.

Use Mr. Eraser, it works like magic..

How do I get coffee stains off of my white kitchen counter tops? It's worse than Kool-aid.

By Trudy from PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Just be careful you don't use anything abrasive. That breaks down the surface and it stains all the more easily. Lemon juice and salt has worked on some food stains and baking soda is a mild scrub if you really have to.

I have laminate counter tops (white with a light green vein) that are 40 years old and the surface finish has just recently broken down. I found a silicone sealer that I paint on. When it wears off I re-coat and that has helped maintain them a little longer.

A little bleach water should do it. Rinse with vinegar because it neutralizes bleach.

I have a hard top -counter but porous top in the kitchen. A few years have gone by and there are stains on it, near the sink and I have attempted to remove them and so far nothing has changed. It is white in color so everything shows on it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove them. I have used everything I can think of. Thanks so much!

It is very difficult to recommend any type of stain removal if you do not provide the type of counter-wood, marble, granite etc.

Does anyone know how to remove a coffee stain from a countertop? I have tried bleach, baking soda (it was old so I might need a new box), and oxyclean. Nothing has worked! Please help!

Becky

I just tried the Cascade dishwasher liquid tip I found on here and it worked great on both counter and carpet! Thanks!

Any Carpet stains you can use shaving cream and a little elbow action. Takes it all out.

I have a stain on my kitchen counter top that I am unable to remove. I think it is coffee or rust. I am sure the counter top is either Formica or a laminate.

By Marlene from Phoenix, AZ

If you think it is rust, see if you can find a product called "Whink" It never fails to get rid of rust, if it is something else, I don't know if it will get rid of it. I know that the Ace Hardware stores used to carry it but don't know if they do now or not.

Oops or GooGone should work. If they don't, the stain may be permanent.

I have pink Joss stick stains on white laminate. The sticks were laying on the counter behind sink at GD's residence and got wet, leaving behind bright pink staining. What is the best advice for removal of the stain, please?

By Carole M.

Hello! Have you tried a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser? I would normally suggest a cheaper more eco friendly method, but if its a really really tough stain, I have my emergency pack of magic erasers just incase. They've gotten rid of grass stains, paint, permanent marker and a bunch of other things I thought were impossible to clean. I found the erasers work best when you leave them dry and spray the area you want to "erase" with a mist of water 2 - 3 times from a spray bottle, so the eraser itself only becomes lightly damp. If those things get completely soaked, they don't seem to work as well, in my experience/opinion! Good luck!

What can I use to remove stains on kitchen counter laminate? I've tried Oxy Clean paste, Clorox, Windex, Grease Lightening, baking soda paste, etc.

By Deborah from Vero Beach, FL

I have used a Magic Eraser on stubborn stains (like beet juice stains) on a light countertop. It was like magic.

Hi Deborah, I had the same problem and I purchased Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It erases every stain I have used it on including counter-tops, walls,floors, soap scum in the shower, faucets, even leather athletic shoes, and very much more. I love this product. Make sure that you buy the eraser either with the scrubber or just the sponge, I buy both. hope this helps. Cathy West Palm Beach, FL

How do I remove stains on Correll countertops and sinks? I have tried 1/4 cup bleach and filled up the sink with water. I have used Comet and Lime Away. I can a lot and the stain is from that.

By REB

Do you mean Corian counter top made by Dupont? If so you can try people that sell Corian counter tops in your area for help or try Google.com. Corian can be sanded to remove stains but check with the counter people first.

I am not familiar with that type of counter top, but I use a paste of baking soda and water to clean many surfaces, so you could try it. Just pour on a little baking soda and add a little water to it and scrub with a sponge or dishcloth. This has kept my counters stain free for over 10 years and is the only thing I have ever used in my oven which is also over 10 years old and looks almost new inside. I shine my stainless steel sinks with the same remedy. Also the porcelain sinks in the bathrooms.

Harlean from Arkansas

I have coffee stains on my white kitchen countertop that will not go away. I have tried so many things on it, but am afraid to try anything industrial as I live in an apt.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

By Kat from PA

Have you tried rubbing the stains with baking soda and a little water?

What can I use to remove toothpaste stains from a laminate bathroom counter top? Thus far I've used peroxide, bleach, various bathroom cleansers, ammonia, and CLR. Any one with experience with this stain problem? Thank you.

I have a small (quarter sized) burn mark and 1.5 inch crack on my white countertop. Any suggestions to either replace the counter cheaply or repair it without any noticeable difference? I've already tried Magic Eraser, vinegar, baking soda and other cleaning products. The stain has faded, but still is somewhat visible and crack is still visible.

Thanks!

By Jackie

How do I remove stains from the counter? I have tried vinegar and Ajax. I am not exactly sure what type of food stain it is.

By Marge B

I have a grey shellacked countertop. It has a white cloudy discoloration on top from water. How can I fix it?

By Natasha

How do you remove scorch stains from kitchen counter tops?

By Joy

I recently cleaned my oven racks on my counter top on top of paper. Now I have marks from the paper on the counter. I have removed the colour, but still can see the marks from where the paper was sitting. Any ideas? The counter top is stone.

By Jodie

Can I use baking soda to clean non white counters? I have black dye stains which ran from cupcake paper on my dark brownish kitchen bench. How should I clean it? baking soda, vinegar, nail polish remover?

By Kelle

We've recently purchased our first home. Already we've put stains on our nice, white kitchen countertops (made of laminate?).