Browsing: Removing Stains on Countertops

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Stains on Countertops

Spills and general use can leave stains on your countertops. This is a guide about removing stains on countertops.

Cleaning Stain From Countertop
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 6, 2013 Flag

Dampen the counter top and sprinkle some good ol' baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) on the stain, just enough to cover it. With a little elbow grease, the stain will vanish.

Source: Baking soda is great for so many things - from being a natural tooth paste, to natural deodorant, and stainless steel sink shiner!

March 12, 2014 Flag

I used a kitchen mat to dry wet utensils, but the kitchen mat has left a dark print on the white counter top. How do I remove the dark stain? Please help.

By PB

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The marks are from the dyes in the towel. You may want to try scrubbing the area with a moist sponge and baking soda. Then, if there are any marks left, bleach area and let set. Depending on the dye, it should come up.

Use Mr. Eraser, it works like magic..

April 29, 2016 Flag

I have a hard top -counter but porous top in the kitchen. A few years have gone by and there are stains on it, near the sink and I have attempted to remove them and so far nothing has changed. It is white in color so everything shows on it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove them. I have used everything I can think of. Thanks so much!

It is very difficult to recommend any type of stain removal if you do not provide the type of counter-wood, marble, granite etc.

August 29, 2010 Flag

How do I get coffee stains off of my white kitchen counter tops? It's worse than Kool-aid.

By Trudy from PA

Just be careful you don't use anything abrasive. That breaks down the surface and it stains all the more easily. Lemon juice and salt has worked on some food stains and baking soda is a mild scrub if you really have to.

I have laminate counter tops (white with a light green vein) that are 40 years old and the surface finish has just recently broken down. I found a silicone sealer that I paint on. When it wears off I re-coat and that has helped maintain them a little longer.

A little bleach water should do it. Rinse with vinegar because it neutralizes bleach.

I also use baking soda to clean the white countertops, works good also when you have stains from food coloring or kool-aid, works everytime

June 4, 2005 Flag

A paste made with baking soda and water will take Kool-Aid stains out of counters.

By Tara

April 1, 2004 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove a coffee stain from a countertop? I have tried bleach, baking soda (it was old so I might need a new box), and oxyclean. Nothing has worked! Please help!

Becky

I just tried the Cascade dishwasher liquid tip I found on here and it worked great on both counter and carpet! Thanks!

Any Carpet stains you can use shaving cream and a little elbow action. Takes it all out.

how about coffee stains on sheetrock wall? thanks in advance.

August 6, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about repairing marks on porcelain countertop. A porcelain finish can get marked and scratched. Removing or covering these blemishes can help it look better.

Porcelain Countertop

November 18, 2013 Flag

I used to decorate cakes for fun and always ended up with red food coloring on my counter tops. Then I discovered it could be removed by making a paste of cream of tartar and water. Place a small amount of the cream of tartar and water mixture on the stain, and then rub with a clean wet dishcloth. If it doesn't come right off, leave the cream of tartar paste on the stain longer before washing off with a clean wet dishcloth.

September 30, 2013 Flag

Lacquer thinner will easily remove stains from Formica countertops. Be careful not to get it on the wood edge as it will also remove the finish on the edge.

September 21, 2010 Flag

I have a stain on my kitchen counter top that I am unable to remove. I think it is coffee or rust. I am sure the counter top is either Formica or a laminate.

By Marlene from Phoenix, AZ

Try chlorine bleach diluted a little.

If you think it is rust, see if you can find a product called "Whink" It never fails to get rid of rust, if it is something else, I don't know if it will get rid of it. I know that the Ace Hardware stores used to carry it but don't know if they do now or not.

Oops or GooGone should work. If they don't, the stain may be permanent.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJune 7, 2012
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Removing Stains from Granite, Granite Kitchen Counter and Stainless Sink
Removing Stains from Granite
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:34:34 AM on 10.0.2.218 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.