Impromptu Shrimp Appetizer

Using three ingredients I can whip out an appetizer that presents well and tastes scrumptious. If you prefer something other than shrimp, I've listed several other choices to use to top the cream cheese.

• 1/4 cup seafood cocktail sauce
  • 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
  • Small can of shrimp (You could also use the pre-cooked frozen ones and chop them up.)
  • Assortment of crackers to accompany the shrimp spread

Directions:

Drain the can of shrimp. Place the block of cream cheese in the center of an appropriate serving plate. Pour the cocktail sauce over the cream cheese. Top with the shrimp.

If you prefer, you may use chutney, picante sauce, taco sauce, caviar, or bacon and green onion instead of the shrimp.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

I have used this recipe with the Cocktail Sauce for years. I find it better to cut the cream cheese in half length wise, add cocktail to the bottom layer and put top half back on, then put cocktail sauce on the top layer. This gives you two layers of sauce and it taste much better.

I will try this one for sure. Eating the way I have to, shrimp is one of my "can do's" ! This sounds easy and others would love. Going for low fat sure that doesn't change taste.

Another version of the "cream cheese log" recipe is to lightly brown raw sesame seeds in a frying pan (no need for oil) and while they are still warm, press block of cream cheese down into them to cover all sides of the block well. This can be done ahead and wrapped in saran wrap and refrigerated if need be. Place in a shallow, oblong saucer/dish and pour soy sauce over, not too much, you don't want it sloshy. Serve with sesame crackers or any kind you think will "match". This is always very popular, a great "make-ahead" and economical, too.