Store Food Waste in Freezer

With prices now so high, this idea is not only frugal but also helps to save our land fills and helps to organize the trash. Of course I reuse my Ziploc bags over and over after rewashing them several times. When they just can't take it anymore, I retire them to last use bundle. When I have garbage I cannot place in the garbage disposal (like skin from chicken, banana peels, potato peels, and chicken bones), I wrap then in newspaper, roll it up tightly, and place in the old worn out zip lock bag. Then I zip it shut and place in the freezer. I also keep a note on the inside of my garbage lid saying, "ALERT! ALERT! Don't forget the freezer bag" to remind me to take the Ziploc out of the freezer, pop it in the trash, and haul it out to the dumpster.

By letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

I'm confused as to how this is frugal to use energy to freeze trash that you are throwing away.

Why not just take the waste out to the trash can immediately, avoiding smells in your home in the first place?

I do this all the time. It prevents having smelly garbage smells either in the house or outside in the garbage can - possibly attracting flies. It takes up little space in the freezer and uses no extra power - you are using the freezer anyway. Just remember to check the freezer on garbage pick-up day!

I also do this, especially during the warm months. It's one of the reasons I wash and save Ziplock bags. They come in handy for freezing food scraps that would attract fruit flies and maggots. Each day, I usually have scraps to add to the bag.

For grease, I freeze it in a small butter container and when frozen, I loosen it around the edge and empty that into the same freezer bag. I keep the container in the freezer just for this purpose. No washing is required.

We take our trash to the dump weekly and I'm thankful that I have a little space in the refrigerator freezer that I can use to store food scraps until trash day. Raw chicken and other raw meat scraps really would be smelling high if I put them outside for more than a day.

Raw fruit and vegetable scraps are no problem for me because I can put them in the compost pile or feed them to our neighbors chickens.

A woman organizing her garbage.
Organizing Your Garbage
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsApril 28, 2011
Small chest freezer with top closed.
Cleaning a Freezer
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Organizing Your Cross-Top Freezer, Picture of an organized freezer.
Organizing Your Freezer
Kenmore Freezer Keeps Thawing and Refreezing
🎄