Natural Air Fresheners

contest winner icon

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

• Place a small sprinkling of ground cinnamon or ground clove on an electric stove burner and turn on the heat to the very lowest setting possible.
  • Ad

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a small piece of tinfoil, turn up the edges and pour a teaspoon of vanilla on top and place the foil in the oven. Turn off oven and prop the door open a bit.
  • Place 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla extract in small cups or bowls around the home.
  • Mix small amounts of lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda together and place in small cups or bowls around the home.
  • To abolish cooking odors, simmer 1 tablespoon vinegar with one cup of water in a small pan.
  • Simmer your favorite spices, citrus rinds or fresh pine needles in a small pan of water on the stove. Experiment by mixing and matching. Also, instead of throwing out stale dated apple, cranberry or orange juice, just simmer in a small pan on the stove.Be sure to set a timer to remind you that it's time to add more water!
  • In a spray bottle, add several drops of your favorite essential oil to water. Shake to mix and mist the air.
  • Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a cotton ball and place around the home.
  • Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil on a light bulb. Be sure to only do this on a bulb that is turned off and is cool! Once you turn the light on the heat from the bulb will slowly release the essential oil in the air.
  • Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil inside your cardboard toilet paper roll and the scent will be released every time someone removes toilet paper.
  • Place springs of fresh eucalyptus around your home.
  • Don't forget fresh flowers work too.

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere. I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

This is a great economical way to freshen your home with fragrances that you know you like. Store bought air fresheners can be very expensive and I have quite often wasted my money on ones that I didn't like when I got home and used them.

Homemade Air Freshener Recipes
Homemade Air Fresheners
Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsOctober 5, 2009
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
Finished Air Freshener
Mason Jar Air Freshener
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
🎉
🎄