Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture

If you have a pet urinate on your furniture you know how difficult it is to clean up. Even if you get to it right away the smell can still linger for a longtime afterward. This is a guide about removing pet urine smell from furniture.

December 15, 2010 Flag

Try one of the enzyme soak products. I use Natures Miracle. All the pet stores have them. Soak the spot well and allow it to dry naturally. Drying can take a day or more depending on how deep the liquid went. Make sure to get the soak as deep as the original accident went. When it is dry the smell will be gone. On occasion I have had to repeat if I was not able to get most of the original accident out before treating. Good luck.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 7, 2015 Flag

My small dog keeps peeing on my couch, clothes, anywhere possible. The problem I have is I'd like to get rid of the smell and deter my dog from peeing inside. Can anyone help please.

By Tabatha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Often animals pee on your clothes in an effort to blend their smell with yours. This behavior can come from anxiety. Make sure you spend enough time with your pet so he feels confident in your relationship.

Might be a good idea to have him checked for a bladder infection too. Natures Miracle enzyme product can get rid of urine smells. If it is something you can wash, put 1/3 cup Borax (Borateem) in your wash.

Best Answer

You need an enzymatic cleaner. Pet stores sell enzymatic carpet and upholstery cleaners just for this purpose. Use a small black light to be sure it's clean. They sell these as well. In the laundry, use an enzymatic cleaner such as OxyClean.

I'm a certified trainer, and you NEVER use the crate as a punishment. Never.

April 22, 2016 Flag

My dog keeps peeing on my sofa. I had it steam cleaned and it still smells.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I used Lysol liquid to clean and sanitize the area and then put some baking soda on the wet area. Let it dry for a few hours and vacuum it up. Then I sprinkled some more baking soda on the area and left it there. Worked fine for removing the stain and smell.

My dog stay peeing on the couch I even give her a tap when she does that I try to take the smell away but it won't go away

June 1, 2010 Flag

I had a large dog that leaked urine when she slept on the couch. How do I remove that smell?

By Glory from Franklin Lakes, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

In general, baking soda works really well as a deodorant. In the past when something smelly has happened to my couch, I sprinkle baking soda on it, leave it for a couple of hours, then vacuum it up.

Best Answer

If the urine has turned the wood black you may not be able to get the black out. You could try sanding it down to see how far the wood has turned black. The process of "fuming with ammonia" was used in mission style furniture to darken the wood. The ammonia reacts with the tannins in the wood and turns it dark. The same thing happens when the dog urine breaks down into ammonia.

You could fume with ammonia to get the rest of the wood the same color. I think it is as easy as putting the furniture in a large plastic enclosure or some other enclosure and putting a pan of ammonia in with it.

To get rid of any urine smell on the furniture you need to use a bacterial product like Natures Miracle or Ridex. Apply it and cover with plastic for a few days. It needs to stay moist for the bacteria to break down the organic matter in the urine.

Best Answer

I just learned and have tried this for urine stains on wood floors. Use peroxide. Wet the area with peroxide and let it dry over night. As the peroxide dries the floor lightens. We had to do it for 3 days to get the right coloring. Good luck

December 14, 2010 Flag

What do I use to get pet urine odor out of my furniture? Please help, I hate the smell.

By Janet

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try spraying with white vinegar. Make sure to do a test patch on an inconspicuous area first, just to make sure that it won't damage your fabric colour.

Good Luck. Cheers, Wendy.

My sister in law uses Windex window cleaner, takes it right out. Spritz it on, use paper towel to wipe up, and let dry.

April 3, 2011 Flag

What is a good way to get cat urine and cat smell out of furniture?

By Tommi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I bought some stuff called BioMatic from my vet. It worked great!

January 29, 2005 Flag

My kids have a plastic picnic table that we keep outside under our carport. A tom has sprayed it and now it reeks to high heaven. Anyone know a way to get rid of the smell?

Thanks, KC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would try spraying it with full strength white vinegar. I know vinegar will remove odors from plastic containers so I think it might just work on your table. Put on the vinegar and let dry (you might have to do this several times) then scrub with soap and hot water.

If you have a Sam's Club card, or know someone who does, get some ODO-BAN. It works! I have a chauwawah, and when I first got him, he would pee in my 3 year old daughters room under her bed. It smelled so bad, that I wouldn't let her sleep in there, and I couldn't stand to go in there either. I tried everything in order to get that nasty smell out of the carpet. A friend of mine gave me a bottle of her ODO-BAN and I've been hooked ever since. I saturated that floor twice! (just to make sure) And the smell is TOTALLY gone. Trust me, you'll love it. It is used in hospitals, and you can use it on all surfaces, bathrooms, use it as an air freshener, just about anything. Also it kills all viruses, hepatitis, you name it, it kills it. If you buy a bottle it will tell on label everything it does. Also it's a gallon for $10.00, but you delute it with water, so you can use 1 cup of ODO-BAN and fill the rest up with water. I just use an old spray bottle for mine. It makes about 38 spray bottles to every gallon bottle. Not bad at all.

July 2, 2012 Flag

How do I remove old dog urine buildup from hardwood furniture? The urine is so thick I could use a scraper, but would damage the wood.

By Mark from Whidbey Island

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Personally I would throw the furniture out.

December 30, 2014 Flag

What product can I use to eliminate urine smells, cat and dog, the ammonia smell, from wood furniture? It has not been urinated on, the smell from the area soaked into the wood. I am looking for a product to spray or wipe on to destroy this odor on the furniture wood and metal.

By John W. from Whitehall, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 1, 2010 Flag

How do you remove urine stains from a couch? My dog submissively peed a little, but now when we sit down (after cleaning it and Febreezing it), you get a whiff of urine. How do I get rid of that without getting rid of the couch?

Joanna from Albany, NY

Answers:

Dog Urine Stains and Smell Off Furniture

Pet urine can be removed with outright pet odor eliminator. You can purchase it at Petco, Pet Smart, or Walmart pet dept. Follow the directions. More difficult odor might require a professional deep clean in furniture. May require that the furniture be saturated and extracted with a truck mount. There are many methods that pros use that might scare a home owner to try on their own. These various methods require specialist trained in the field so the furniture can be reused. Mattresses are a common urine source, both human and animal. Good luck. (04/03/2008)

By Atlanta luster kleen

Cleaning with vinegar or anything like that will only attract the animal back to the smell because it is citric, like their urine. Make a mixture of 1/4 cup tea tree oil and 1 cup water, spray area right away with the mixture and let sit as long as possible. Before site dries, use a chamois with books on it to add pressure to the area, that should help. If you can sprinkle baking soda to the area every day for about a week, and when you come home, use a brush to really dig it down in and let it sit again for an hour, then vacuum. This usually works. (12/07/2008)

By Joanne

The enzyme products work the best. I would be careful of the home made solutions - sometimes they cause more damage. I like the products from www.getthesmellout.com.

You can get the urine out of furniture cushions if you saturate the area. Give it some time to work. Re: the cushion with just water. Put the cushion into a plastic garbage bag and use a shop vac to suck the bag - like the vac storage bags on the infomercials. You will be able to extract most of the water out. (01/11/2009)

By Rob

I have been cleaning an 8x8 foot section of stinky pee from my bad little pomapoo for the last few days. I'd guess I went over it about 20 times with my steam cleaner and Bissel pet stain solution. The stains are gone, but the smell is enough to knock out a sumo wrestler. Amazing how a 5 pound dog can cause this amount of rank! I just tried Listerine mixed with white vinegar and can smell an instant improvement! I think there's a light at the end of this pee tunnel. Thanks! (01/20/2009)

By Robyn

(Submitted via email)

Thanks for all the help but I found that a simple solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and white vinegar will help get rid of the color. I'm going to try a little Borax later on to get rid of the odor of the doggie pee and the vinegar. You may use this on your website if you want, but all in all I would like it if you give me a little bit of credit, but you can still use it. =) Thanks again for all your help, and for your time (to read this message). It really helped me a lot. Oh yeah, my dog thanks you as well (for keeping him out of really big trouble). =) (02/16/2009)

By Sappie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

April 3, 2011 Flag

How do I get cat pee smell out of my furniture?

By Sarah from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

My vet recommended Vodka, actually. Just mildly soak the stain and let it dry. It won't remove the stain just the smell. (08/27/2010)

By bertor22

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2010 Flag

We have a cat that seems to have a problem holding his bladder. He has urinated on our furniture in his sleep. How do we get rid of the smell? I have tried everything, the smell just keeps coming back.

Heather from NY

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

That just happened to me. I took off the cushion covers and crossed my fingers and put them in the washing machine. Along with the soap, I added some ODO-BAN, (you can get it at Walmart or Sam's) and a lot of it! Maybe a cup and a half.

Then when the rinse cycle came up, I doubled the amount of the great smelling fabric softener. Dried them in the dryer, too on the easy cycle. Guess what? It worked. Do this at your own risk, as I did, but mine was old stuff and maybe I was lucky. All I know is I can't smell cat urine on them anymore.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get the smell out of the carpet. For good? I have 6 indoor cats. (10/23/2008)

By Nshvlbrat

RE: Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 14, 2008 Flag

How to get rid of cat urine odor on a cloth chair?

Wanda from St. Marys, GA

Answers:

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

Try Nature's Miracle from Petco/Petsmart - excellent at removing cat urine, especially from carpets, but try small test spot first to make sure it doesn't take color out of your chair. So sorry about your cat - hope there is nothing seriously wrong... (07/10/2007)

By thepartysuper

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

To order over the Internet or by telephone,
X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER
CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY
www.calvetsupply.com
1800-366-3047
It comes in 3 sizes

The best thing I have found for any urine is X.O. I have been using this for years and it will eliminate the odor on your furniture , it will not stain. I had a dog pee on my bed, I just saturated it and you can't even tell where the spot was.
(07/11/2007)

By BABBIE

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

I have been dealing with a cat that has on again off again bladder infections. I found a great product right on the shelf in WalMart. It is called Kids N Pets it is about $5 at my Wally World. It is fantastic. My dog also had diarrhea on my living room carpet (the only room with carpet) and this removed the smell and the stain.

I always have a bottle of it in the house.

Good Luck!! (07/16/2007)

By caraing

Removing Cat Urine Odor from Furniture

The only problem I see is that when you add enzymes to the stain what happens to the urine? You are not removing it you are basically are waiting for it to dry.

I would take a enzyme product mix it 4:1 pour on stained area and then extract with a extraction machine or shop vac and repeat until the urine is rinsed out or diluted enough to that I feel like it has been clean.

In situations that require a professional in So.CA we offer service to most ares please feel free to call toll free 877 386 3677 (01/14/2008)

By jody

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 10, 2007 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 1, 2007 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureAugust 20, 2011
Products
Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:13:52 PM on 10.0.2.62 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.