Recipe For Hot Dog Relish

I am looking for a recipe for hot dog relish like the kind you buy - eg. Bicks. I have tried several but they are all on the sweet side. Anyone have such a recipe? Thanks.

Gloria from Saskatchewan

I grind up;

1 peck of Hungarian yellow wax hot peppers

6 green peppers

6 onions

10 just turning tomatoes

Grind them all as you grind them put in a colander-in the sink to drain. after it is drained put into a large pot cover with apple cider vinegar about 5 cups of sugar. Bring to a boil then let it simmer. To the thickness of your choice. Put in containers and freeze or bottle it. For me it is easier to freeze-enjoy hot dogs or hamburgers. My husband loves it on spaghetti.

You can simply reduce the amount of sugar used in the recipes. I reduced by half and found it came closer to commercial versions.

Exactly what kind of relish are you looking for? Just a hot dog relish with a sour taste? Maybe I can help.

Here in the U.S. you can buy dill pickle relish. Sometimes you have to look carefully for it on the grocery shelf, though.

I'm looking for a recipe using cucumbers, dry mustard and has a bit of kick to it.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I don't have a recipe for relish with a mustard taste. All of my recipes are sweet relish as I can't eat anything very spicy. Sorry!

Hot Dog Relish

3 cups finely chopped cucumbers

1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery

1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper

1 cup finely chopped onions

4 tablespoons salt

2 cups water

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon mustard seed

1 teaspoon celery seed

Place first 5 ingred in stainless steel or glass bowl with water and salt. Cover and let stand over night in refrig. Next day drain well and add the rest of ingredients to a 4 quart stainless steel pot or dutch oven. Bring to a boil and turn to simmer until most of the liquid has reduced. Put in large container and store in refrig. You can process this following processing proceedures if you wish. It keeps in refrig for ever. I've never had a problem with it.

You can adjust the sweetness to your taste. I use this relish in any dish that calls for relish as an ingredient and it seems to make it so much better.

Just made recipe for hotdog relish sealed in jars the relish is good . but i,d like to have one with mustard sauce like Bicks if anyone has one i,d appriciate it . Thanks

5 lbs. onions

5 lbs. cukes with peel, seeded

2 celery hearts

3 green peppers, seeded

3 red peppers, seeded

large head cauliflower

3/4 cup pickling salt

SAUCE:

6 C Sugar

2 C Flour

1 TBSP. Turmeric

5 C. Vinegar

3 1/2 C. Water

Put veggies through food grinder. Sprinkle salt over veggies and add enough water just to cover. Cover and let stand on counter overnight. Next morning, drain very well. Squeeze out all juice.

Sauce: Put all ingredients in large pot and whisk over medium heat til it boils. Simmer 2 or 3 mins. Add veggies and stir over medium heat til boiling. Remove from heat and pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Makes 13 pts.

I don't know why you couldn't add dry mustard in place of the turmeric if you want.

I am also going to try Zucchini instead of cukes.

Sandi (Saskatchewan, Canada)

www.fooking.ca The best relish on the planet.

Quart jars of pickle relish
Pickle Relish Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CondimentsAugust 15, 2008
Zucchini Relish Recipes
Zucchini Relish Recipes
Cranberry Relish in Yellow Dish at Thanksgiving Dinner Table
Cranberry Relish Recipes
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
🎄
🍂