How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house? And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge. Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

Hi Kim from Howell

I am looking for a cleaning lady once a month and I can only afford to pay $80.00. It is a 4 bedrooms and I generally always keep it tidy. If you are interested I live in Hightstown. Please respond to this post. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have had the same cleaning lady for 4 years. She charges by the job-not hourly and I pay $100 bi-weekly (my previous cleaner was $65/cleaning). I live in the NE and have about a 2500 sq ft house. She spends approx. 5 hrs. cleaning 4 brms (3 used), 2 and 2 (1/2) baths, lr, dr, kitch., fr, a sm. office, and a finished bsmt. She dusts, vac, wipes the counters, cleans the baths, mops the flrs. I keep the house tidy, put things away, and make sure nothing is on the floors so she is able to come in and get right to work. Due to the economy, I was contemplating reducing her to once/month. I feel horrible because she is trustworthy and I realize she has a family to care for too. After the last cleaning she asked for a raise! She hasn't raised her prices since she started and regardless if she deserves it, Idont think I can afford her anymore.

I used to have a house cleaning business, and I would like to respond to one of the posters who had her house cleaned in 4 hours for $100. At the end of the post she mentions that the woman that cleaned it "had one other person with her", so in fact, it took 8 man-hours to clean, and they each made $12.50 an hour if they split the money 50/50, which is pitiful. Housecleaning is hard work! I used to charge $25 an hour, in the Central Ohio area. Once the house was "caught up", it would take me about 3½ hours to clean a 4 bedroom, 3½ bath home top to bottom. But... if a house had never been professionally cleaned before, the initial cleaning could take as long as 8 hours, and even then I may not have got it all! People do not realize how much crud there is to cut through! I could go on & on about bathrooms, let alone shower doors/floors. Please keep this in mind when hiring someone to clean your home!

I've owned my cleaning biz for 12 years. I charge 30$ and hour. It doesn't make a difference how many bedrooms the home has. Bedrooms are simple. The " wet " part of cleaning requires the most time and muscle. So bathrooms, kitchen and floors are where the time goes. You can have a small home that's filthy dirty, costing as much as a large home that's neat and orderly.

It's all up to the client and how they choose to live the weeks in between! A good cleaning woman can tell when she visits the home to interview the prospective client; how long approx, a home is going to take to clean. Initially it will take longer in the beginning, but once the home is up to her standards, the time tapers off. She is still doing the same job.

So having said I'm 30$ an hour..a large 4 bedroom/3 bath home costs 150 give or take 5+ hours. A two hour home is 60$. If you tell me you can only spend 80$..then I try to give you the best " quick " clean possible.

Please consider that if your budget is small, you should be cleaning the weeks in between your cleaning woman's visits in order to keep the house up and get the most value for your dollar! If the house is in good shape then she has better opportunity to clean deeper. Oh and those are " man hours" . I generally work alone..but sometimes I bring help in during the holidays.

So clients are paying 150$ for approx 5+ hrs...but we are through the house in 2.5 - 3hrs. Good luck in your business!! Cleaning is extremely difficult , however if you find clients that are respectful and appreciate your work, it's very satisfying! Oh, I almost forgot; I bring all my own products, I use chemical free non-toxic products. I do not take a lunch break! I don't smoke! And I don't work slow! Good luck!

I charge anywhere from $50 to $100. If you are in MI and if interested please let me know.

Ive been in business for several months now and find that it's best to give an estimate based on how long it will take you to clean. Some customers feel I charge too much and others are elated. I don't charge a higher first time fee as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks unless it's the oven or refrigerator.

It seems nit picky to have to add 5+ dollars for some additional task the client may ask about. Try and figure some of those things into your initial quote. That way, you're coming off with a much stronger sense of customer service. The customer also knows that they're getting their money's worth. I charge $20.00 per hour and live in the Midwest.

I agree to the time it takes. We have been in business for almost 2 years and we base our rate on the hours it takes to clean each room. If it takes 1 hour for the large bathroom, we charge $20 for that room. Each bedroom is cleaned from top to bottom, including baseboards and inside windows with blinds - we base that on how long it takes. So we give out estimates based on our experience. If we go over in time, we do not charge anything extra. We do add additional costs for cleaning out refrigerators, stoves, etc. Our best customer has a 3 story farmhouse with 5 BR, 1 Rec Room, 3 1/2 baths, Large Great room and wood floors. Also, a large laundry/mud room. We have perfected our time in this house. Basing it on the hours spent is a good idea, because you never know how dirty it will be until you walk in.

Someone mopping a floor.
How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?
Business and Legal BusinessJanuary 11, 2007
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
A dog being check out by a veterinarian.
Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic
Satelite dish against a tree in background.
Saving Money on DirectTV
🎉
🎄