Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Fruit

Lemon fruits are produced from blooms nearly year round under good conditions. This guide is about lemon tree not blooming or producing fruit.

Lemon and blossoms on tree
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a mini Meyers lemon tree. It will produce flowers, but then they fall off. I have had this tree for about 4 years, but have had no lemons. It is in a large planter. It is now putting out new leaves, but I want lemons. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

By Debi from Minnesota, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I received a tip last year to take a paintbrush and gently paint or dab each flower to transfer pollen. It seemed to have worked since lemons grew on my tree last year. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

I am from Durban South Africa. I planted an Erica lemon tree almost two years ago and up to now have only had 4 buds and no fruit. Please help!

By Julia R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Doesn't sound like it got pollenated. Most trees you need more than 1 tree for this to happen.

I have a lemon tree that is over 5 years old. To date it has never bloomed. I have dug a shallow ditch where the branches end and I have put organic compost into this. I also water daily only in this ditch after the monsoons until the next monsoon. What am I doing wrong?

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Citrus trees do not like wet roots. Be careful about over watering! If you get heavy rain once a week, you do not need to water at all. I have a huge lemon tree with 100's of lemons and only water deeply once a week because it doesn't rain in California where I live.

Good luck!

I have a lemon tree that is approximately ten feet tall. It is really healthy and has produced lemons in years past. For the past two years, however, it hasn't bloomed. What has happened?

By Charlie from Quitman, LA

Lemon Tree Not Blooming or Producing Lemons

It obviously needs some fertilizer. You should try the special one for orange and other citrus or a cheaper one. Fertilizer for tomatoes, works well. Do it once a week, but not too much. (08/30/2010)

By OlgaMarie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a lemon tree grown from a seedling. It is 7' tall and has never bloomed. It smells like lemons, but has no flowers. It is very sturdy and located near an orange tree. I suspect it is only an ornamental tree. Is there anything I can try to make it bloom?

By Dave from Melbourne, FL

My pear tree wasn't bearing until I got a 2nd tree. Now I have more than I can use. (05/30/2010)

By jmbowen

I don't know what to tell you about your lemon tree. I just wanted to say hi since we are "neighbors"! I'm in Indialantic. Good luck with your tree. Maybe you can call Sun Harbor Nursery or Rocklege Gardens for advice. (06/09/2010)

By PainterLee

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a lemon tree that has not bloomed in 2 years and there are no lemons growing. I am not sure what my gardener has done; what can I do?

By Ona

I have a lemon tree that produces well, but it took several years after it was planted before it started producing. If you have a new tree, maybe it just needs more time and care. Mine is a Meyer lemon tree. (03/20/2010)

By Stngray

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like help in growing a lemon tree. I placed a seed from a lemon into a pot the year before last and it came up. It is about 12 in. high, but has never bloomed or grown lemons. What can I do to make it produce lemons? Thanks.

By Helen from Snellville, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Meyer lemon tree that will not grow a flower or a fruit. It just gets bigger and bigger with long thorns on it. What can I do with this tree? Thank you.

By Peggy from Napa, CA

I had that problem also, then I went back to the nursery where I bought my lemon tree and their gardner told me that you must have a second fruit tree. Either in your property or close by so that they can pollinate. Otherwise, the fruit tree won't be able to produce fruit.
My solution was to buy a lemon tree and since then I've had lemons. Hope that helps. (01/14/2010)

By wondering

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sister has grown a lemon tree from a seed. It is 7 years old. It has never produced any flowers or fruit. Do lemon and lime trees have thorns, and what can she do to produce flowers and fruit on them?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesAugust 9, 2013
Lemon Squares on a plate with lemon slices.
Lemon Squares Recipes
Lemon and blossoms on tree
Citrus Trees Not Producing Fruit
bittersweet
Bittersweet Not Blooming
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 7:06:50 PM on 10.0.0.16 in 518 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.