A candle was melted on my wood burning stove by accident. I wiped all the hard wax off, but it still keeps smoking when we light the stove. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The whole house fills with the odor of candle wax.
Mshelley from New Hampshire
We use a prooduct called Goo Gone or Disolve it.
Spray this on the stove when iti s cool. Let it sit for about 15-20 min. The wax should wipe right off.
Depending on what type of wood-burning stove you have, there may be different answers. If you've got a modern one with a stainless steel or enamel top, some chemicals will be okay.
If your stove is one of the antique or antique-style stoves, it's probably cast-iron, which is a fairly porous metal, and therefore shouldn't be used with harsh chemicals. When heated, harsh chemicals create toxic fumes from chemical reactions, and can poison the food and/or the air.
But really, you don't need to use any chemicals at all. Just do some cooking that requires the stovetop and oven to be at their highest possible heat (that is, both under and around the wax spill). The heat will burn the wax off as well as heat your home for the day, and if you crack a window just a little bit, the smell of the smoke will dissipate as well.
It might just take time to 'burn off' but you could try the same thing that works on carpets and fabric.
Iron with a hot clothes iron with paper from a paper bag between the iron and the stove surface and iron it. The bag will soak up a lot of the wax but if the stove is porous it might not all come off. Be sure not to use the parts of the paper bag that has wording ink on it to be sure it doesn't transfer to your stove.
Hope this is helpful ...
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!