Removing Permanent Marker

Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 14, 2009 Flag

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

Man wiping car exterior with a cloth

February 12, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know how to get permanent marker out of your dryer? I accidently left it in work pants.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use Hand Sanitizer to remove the first layer.(only removes the black marks/they usually turn light grey)

Treat only the affected areas...let dry for about 30 minutes.

Use Muskol Mosquito Repellent Spray.

Spray directly on affected areas. Let stand for 2 to 4 seconds. Lightly use your finger or a soft cloth to rub the Muskol around each spot (be patient). You will see the marker start to lift off.(2 to 4 seconds...it works that fast :-))

As soon as you stop rubbing the Muskol in, use a dry cloth to remove the stain.

Once you have finished all the stains, your dryer drum should be clean.

Leave dryer door open for 2 hours to allow drum to dry.

Mix a small solution of laundry soap (a few drops will do) into 3 cups of hot water. Wash the drum with 4 to 6 old, clean rags. Once the inside of the dryer is completely cleaned, leave the rags inside the dryer and close the door.

Set the Dryer on "Air Fluff/No Heat" for 20 minutes.

Remove rags and inspect the drum.

Voila!!!All clean :-)

J-Pow

Editor's Note: I tried all the other "suggested" remedies but nothing else worked, including:Bleach,Cooking oil,Varsol,Paint Thinner,GooGone,Tooth Paste,Nail Polish Remover, Dry Erase Marker...

March 30, 2016 Flag

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
    Help?

Try regular rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). I've had good luck with that removing permanent marker ink from various plastics.

September 2, 2011 Flag

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

October 23, 2009 Flag

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

By Fun-n'-dorky

August 18, 2010 Flag

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel). Rub it in, then use a damp rag to wipe the toothpaste and magic marker away.

By castleberrycc from Saint Louis, MO

August 3, 2005 Flag

Okay, this may sound lame but does anybody know how to get sharpie off cement? We had a few vandilizers and need help!

First, I loosen up the stain with soapy water and brush. Then, I pour fingernail polish remover over the stain and it works perfectly to remove the stain.

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2005 Flag

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

There is a product called ink away made by goo gone.

The bottle I have is 2 fl.oz. so its a small bottle. My kids got ahold of a permenent marker in my van and it took it off! I was amazed! and so relieved!

I got it at menards or lowes.

Read More Answers...

September 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

Write over it with white board marker then erase. If not erased, put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe.

Read More Answers...

April 17, 2014 Flag

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

September 21, 2011 Flag

I bought some white and pink little girls onesies to add a cute little a skirt onto. They were on sale when I bought them. The store marked a black line through the fabric where the tag is in the back. Does anyone know of any kind of cleaner or home remedy that will take the mark out without ruining the fabric? Desperate!

By Sheila H.

I have used tea tree oil to remove both permanent marker and non-waterbased paint from hard surfaces, skin and fabrics. A little goes a long way, use a rag or a cotton ball to saturate the stain and absorb the ink. Once the stain is gone, use Formula 409 or other grease removal cleaner to treat the oily areas, then wash with regular laundry.

Read More Answers...

January 29, 2012 Flag

I want to remove marker pen from my painted front door. Any suggestions?

By Sandra from Bristol, England

Nail polish removers will take off permanent marker. When my son was around 5 yrs. old, he decided to redo the outside of 10 kitchen cabinets with black marker! I tried scrubbing them with everything I could think of. I finally tried the nail polish remover and it took it right off without even scrubbing! But then I had to put some wax on the doors to put the shine back on.

Read More Answers...

October 13, 2011 Flag

How do you remove a name written with black permanent marker from a vintage piece of Tupperware? We have tried Goof Off, Goo Gone, finger nail polish, baking soda paste, hair spray, alcohol, Barkeeper's Friend, Comet, and the name still remains. Although dull, it is still distinctly there. Any other suggestions?

By Frances

WD40 might do the trick...

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2015 Flag

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

August 25, 2011 Flag

Please could you help with some advice. I have a fully signed England shirt (in black permanent marker), which is great. Unfortunately at the top it's signed "to all at XXX", XXX being my work place. But I've been given it as a gift from management. Is there a way of removing the "to all at, etc." without removing any of the rest (signatures)? Thanks, much appreciated.

By JamesF

I have had good luck in removing sharpie from a backpack with isopropyl alcohol. There is a chance that it will take away the background color too so test it first to be sure.

Read More Answers...

June 10, 2013 Flag

My 2 year old got a hold of a permanent marker this morning and wrote all over my boyfriend's Xbox 360 controllers. Any ideas how to get the marker off?

By Nataley S.

Rubbing alcohol should remove most permanent market without damaging electronics. Dip a cotton ball in the Isopropyl alcohol, squeeze it out, and gently rub it on the marks. Be careful, it might also remove printing on the controller. If that fails, an acetone nail polish remove might work, but could discolor the plastic. You might want to do a test spot with a cotton swab before trying to clean the whole thing.

And make sure those permanent markers are kept out of reach!

February 27, 2011 Flag

How do we remove permanent marker from the drum of a dryer?

By Bill from Dubuque, IA

Permanent maker won't come off on clothing, the heat just keeps setting it into the metal.

Read More Answers...

December 29, 2010 Flag

I need to get permanent marker out of multi-colored comforter. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

By atjojo from OH

This may sound a little nutty. First buy a small bottle shampoo for Oily Hair. I've found that of all brands, Head and Shoulders still makes a shampoo for oily hair, yes a dandruff shampoo. The base ingredient in almost all permanent markers is oil.

Regular Plain Old Vegetable oil will remove permanent marker from any surface, including=lamp shades, antique embroidered chairs, sweat shirts, t-shirts, curtains, pretty much any fabric in my home has had permanent marker on it, when my daughter was between 3 years and 7 years. She was always sorry and it truly wasn't on purpose-well except maybe the lamp shade-she was trying to make it prettier, but all it did was make my hair stand on end, as that shade was in perfect shape, it is silk, and was my grandmother's. Arghh.

I prefer the least yellow oil that I can find. Using just a paper towel, or soft cloth (swiffer cloths work well) Then I set in to scrubbing the area with the smallest amount of oil at a time until all the marker is gone. If it's on clothing, you can just wash the clothing in your washer normally after hand scrubbing the area with the shampoo for oily hair.

With furniture, a very thin mixture of Dawn dish washing liquid & water, mixed with a bit of rubbing alcohol will pull the oily mixture right out of that piece of furniture. Trust me, I must have done this over a thousand times since having my baby-now 21 yrs, and just on Monday, she got a sharpie marker in her khaki work pants, her favorite pair.

Good luck!

Read More Answers...
      Load More
      Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 19, 2011
      Permanent Markers
      Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
      Permanent Marker
      Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
      A colorful wooden dresser.
      Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
      A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
      Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 3:03:25 AM on 10.0.2.44 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.