Browsing: Removing Permanent Marker

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Permanent Marker

Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 14, 2009 Flag

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

August 1, 2016 Flag

What's the best home made solution for taking permanent marker off of shoes?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 12, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know how to get permanent marker out of your dryer? I accidently left it in work pants.

Use Hand Sanitizer to remove the first layer.(only removes the black marks/they usually turn light grey)

Treat only the affected areas...let dry for about 30 minutes.

Use Muskol Mosquito Repellent Spray.

Spray directly on affected areas. Let stand for 2 to 4 seconds. Lightly use your finger or a soft cloth to rub the Muskol around each spot (be patient). You will see the marker start to lift off.(2 to 4 seconds...it works that fast :-))

As soon as you stop rubbing the Muskol in, use a dry cloth to remove the stain.

Once you have finished all the stains, your dryer drum should be clean.

Leave dryer door open for 2 hours to allow drum to dry.

Mix a small solution of laundry soap (a few drops will do) into 3 cups of hot water. Wash the drum with 4 to 6 old, clean rags. Once the inside of the dryer is completely cleaned, leave the rags inside the dryer and close the door.

Set the Dryer on "Air Fluff/No Heat" for 20 minutes.

Remove rags and inspect the drum.

Voila!!!All clean :-)

J-Pow

Editor's Note: I tried all the other "suggested" remedies but nothing else worked, including:Bleach,Cooking oil,Varsol,Paint Thinner,GooGone,Tooth Paste,Nail Polish Remover, Dry Erase Marker...

March 30, 2016 Flag

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
Help?

Try regular rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). I've had good luck with that removing permanent marker ink from various plastics.

June 20, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

Man wiping car exterior with a cloth

September 2, 2011 Flag

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

October 23, 2009 Flag

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

August 18, 2010 Flag

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel).

August 3, 2005 Flag

Okay, this may sound lame but does anybody know how to get sharpie off cement? We had a few vandilizers and need help!

First, I loosen up the stain with soapy water and brush. Then, I pour fingernail polish remover over the stain and it works perfectly to remove the stain.

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2005 Flag

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

There is a product called ink away made by goo gone.

The bottle I have is 2 fl.oz. so its a small bottle. My kids got ahold of a permenent marker in my van and it took it off! I was amazed! and so relieved!

I got it at menards or lowes.

Read More Answers...

September 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

Write over it with white board marker then erase. If not erased, put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe.

Read More Answers...

April 17, 2014 Flag

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

October 12, 2011 Flag

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

I have never tried this on shoes, but it works on everything else. If you use another permanent marker and write over the first mark and quickly wipe it off, it takes the original mark off immediately. Just try a little at a time and don't try too much at a time. I have even used this on dry erase boards and blackboards, works every time. Good luck!

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 19, 2011
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 31, 2016 at 6:06:06 AM on 10.0.0.90 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.