Removing Permanent Marker

Category Stains
Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

I got permanent marker on wood so I took dish soap and used the ruff side of a sponge then wiped and when it was gone I used a dry rag or napkin to dry the table

Removing Permanent Marker on a  Whiteboard

Accidents happen, such as when you grab a permanent marker instead or a dry erase one to write on your whiteboard. This is a guide about removing permanent marker on a whiteboard.

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel). Rub it in, then use a damp rag to wipe the toothpaste and magic marker away.

By castleberrycc from Saint Louis, MO

Just be careful about the paint. My 2 1/2 yr old twin grandsons got hold of a permanent marker & decorated their bedroom (and themselves!) while their mom (my daughter) was doing homework & thought they were napping (LOL! Paybacks!). She used toothpaste to get it off their painted dresser & you can see where it messed up the paint a little.

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

3 Sharpie Markers with a pen line.

This is a guide about removing Sharpie on kitchen counters. Sharpie permanent marker can accidentally get on your countertops.

Cleaning Permanent Marker from Wood Floors

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker from wood floors. Permanent marker is meant to be just that, permanent. However, there are often ways to remove it from surfaces where it has accidentally been applied.

Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

Man wiping car exterior with a cloth

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

A colorful wooden dresser.

Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from wood furniture.

If you get permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt blue!), you can remove it with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

Use a product called Goof Off. I spayed this on the marker spot and it ran off. Be sure to have a dry rag to wipe it up quickly. It's the only thing that takes it all off.

The only solution for removing permanent marker on leather furniture is spray on sun tan lotion. Nothing else worked, not 99% alcohol, Goo Gone, leather package - all set the marker stain.

Just get an eraser, get it wet and erase the mark. It worked really good for me. Hope it works for you!

I was able to get permanent black marker off of wood logs with Goof Off.

Is there anything that will remove stubern markers stains from wooden doors?

(1)Try using toothpaste on the spot where the marker is. Try not to use that gel kind. (2)apply a small amount of toothpaste to the stain. (3)Rub the toothpaste using a damp rag. (4)Youll want to rub the stained area for a few minutes until the cloth can easily slide across the wood surface.

Rinse the rag you used with water and rub the wood surface until the toothpaste is no longer visible.

The marker stain should no longer be there. If any marker residue remains, repeat steps 1 through 4 until the stain has disappeared completely.

I have dark blue permanent marker on a portable DVD player screen. What do I use to remove it?

You might try Goof-Off applied and removed with a soft cloth.

What's the best home made solution for taking permanent marker off of shoes?

It would help to know what type of shoes you have. LEather? Canvas? Different materials have different techniques.

In any event, this guides claims toprovide advise on how to get marker off everything: http://www.oneg  ut-anything.html

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
Help?

Try regular rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). I've had good luck with that removing permanent marker ink from various plastics.

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

WD 40 will remove stickers everytime. It might remove the marker but could not say that for sure since I've never used it for that. Comet might work for the marker.

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

To get permanent marker off any hard surface; go to a craft store and buy a 1/2 ounce glass jar of Testors Enamel Thinner. Dip a qtip into it or dab some on a cotton ball.. then wip off with a paper towel! It works great!

On a white board however, the tip from gondodeb is true! Just go over the marker with a dry-erase marker and it will rub right off :)

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

Try a very gentle wipe with nail polish remover, don't rub too hard but I know I did that in the 80's with my scuffed pumps!

I bought some white and pink little girls onesies to add a cute little a skirt onto. They were on sale when I bought them. The store marked a black line through the fabric where the tag is in the back. Does anyone know of any kind of cleaner or home remedy that will take the mark out without ruining the fabric? Desperate!

By Sheila H.

Try spraying with hairspray and blotting off if its ink marks. worked on stuff when pen got in the washing machine.

I want to remove marker pen from my painted front door. Any suggestions?

By Sandra from Bristol, England

Mr.Clean MagicEraser! it works on everything! You can purchase a dollar store brand at Dollar Tree and it works the same! I buy them in bulk because my 5 year old love to draw on everything but paper! :)

How do you remove a name written with black permanent marker from a vintage piece of Tupperware? We have tried Goof Off, Goo Gone, finger nail polish, baking soda paste, hair spray, alcohol, Barkeeper's Friend, Comet, and the name still remains. Although dull, it is still distinctly there. Any other suggestions?

By Frances

Sometimes bleach gets the color off.

Please could you help with some advice. I have a fully signed England shirt (in black permanent marker), which is great. Unfortunately at the top it's signed "to all at XXX", XXX being my work place. But I've been given it as a gift from management. Is there a way of removing the "to all at, etc." without removing any of the rest (signatures)? Thanks, much appreciated.

By JamesF

James, it is called permanent marker for a reason. It will probably never come out though after repeated washings. It will fade.

I drew with Sharpie on my shoes, but decided I didn't like it. I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser thing and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Load More