Removing Permanent Marker

Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

October 14, 2009 Flag

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great great idea, I have a 2 and 3 yr old. I'm more than sure this tip will come in handy. Thanks

January 25, 2017 Flag

Removing Permanent Marker on a  Whiteboard

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Accidents happen, such as when you grab a permanent marker instead or a dry erase one to write on your whiteboard. This is a guide about removing permanent marker on a whiteboard.

September 2, 2011 Flag

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sandy, where can you get this spray?

August 18, 2010 Flag

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 24, 2016 Flag

3 Sharpie Markers with a pen line.

This is a guide about removing Sharpie on kitchen counters. Sharpie permanent marker can accidentally get on your countertops.

October 23, 2009 Flag

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2016 Flag

Cleaning Permanent Marker from Wood Floors

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker from wood floors. Permanent marker is meant to be just that, permanent. However, there are often ways to remove it from surfaces where it has accidentally been applied.

June 20, 2016 Flag

Man wiping car exterior with a cloth

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

April 17, 2014 Flag

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2011 Flag

Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen

Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin. This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin.

July 21, 2015 Flag

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 12, 2014 Flag

Use a product called Goof Off. I spayed this on the marker spot and it ran off. Be sure to have a dry rag to wipe it up quickly. It's the only thing that takes it all off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2011 Flag

A colorful wooden dresser.

Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from wood furniture.

February 14, 2011 Flag

If you get permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt blue!), you can remove it with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 5, 2013 Flag

The only solution for removing permanent marker on leather furniture is spray on sun tan lotion. Nothing else worked, not 99% alcohol, Goo Gone, leather package - all set the marker stain.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 26, 2013 Flag

Just get an eraser, get it wet and erase the mark. It worked really good for me. Hope it works for you!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 23, 2011 Flag

I was able to get permanent black marker off of wood logs with Goof Off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 28, 2016 Flag

I have dark blue permanent marker on a portable DVD player screen. What do I use to remove it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try Goof-Off applied and removed with a soft cloth.

March 30, 2016 Flag

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try regular rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). I've had good luck with that removing permanent marker ink from various plastics.

August 14, 2005 Flag

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

WD 40 will remove stickers everytime. It might remove the marker but could not say that for sure since I've never used it for that. Comet might work for the marker.

August 1, 2016 Flag

What's the best home made solution for taking permanent marker off of shoes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get permanent marker off any hard surface; go to a craft store and buy a 1/2 ounce glass jar of Testors Enamel Thinner. Dip a qtip into it or dab some on a cotton ball.. then wip off with a paper towel! It works great!

On a white board however, the tip from gondodeb is true! Just go over the marker with a dry-erase marker and it will rub right off :)

October 12, 2011 Flag

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a very gentle wipe with nail polish remover, don't rub too hard but I know I did that in the 80's with my scuffed pumps!

September 21, 2011 Flag

I bought some white and pink little girls onesies to add a cute little a skirt onto. They were on sale when I bought them. The store marked a black line through the fabric where the tag is in the back. Does anyone know of any kind of cleaner or home remedy that will take the mark out without ruining the fabric? Desperate!

By Sheila H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try spraying with hairspray and blotting off if its ink marks. worked on stuff when pen got in the washing machine.

January 29, 2012 Flag

I want to remove marker pen from my painted front door. Any suggestions?

By Sandra from Bristol, England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mr.Clean MagicEraser! it works on everything! You can purchase a dollar store brand at Dollar Tree and it works the same! I buy them in bulk because my 5 year old love to draw on everything but paper! :)

October 13, 2011 Flag

How do you remove a name written with black permanent marker from a vintage piece of Tupperware? We have tried Goof Off, Goo Gone, finger nail polish, baking soda paste, hair spray, alcohol, Barkeeper's Friend, Comet, and the name still remains.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 19, 2011
3 Sharpie Markers with a pen line.
Removing Sharpie on Kitchen Counters
Erase whiteboard marker and the permanent pen beneath.
Removing Permanent Marker on a Whiteboard
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
Man wiping car exterior with a cloth
Removing Permanent Marker from a Car
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 6:28:33 AM on 10.0.0.230 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.