Removing Permanent Marker

Permanent marker stains are a common household mini disaster. Despite the name, permanent marker stains may sometimes be removed quite effectively. This is a guide about removing permanent marker stains.

October 14, 2009 Flag

My name is Shannon and I have found an amazing, magical, cleaning assistant. You see, I have an almost 3 year old at home who loves to get his hands on permanent markers and color on things he shouldn't. Like my antique coffee table and 2 end tables that happen to be solid wood and my favorite cherry stain color. Today, I found 3 more "drawings" he had been hiding from me all in permanent marker.

Now, I do drawings and art projects that require me to use such markers and I have them in EVERY color you could possibly think of. This time he had gone to far, he drew on all three of my tables, HIS cherry stain sleigh bed, his cherry stain dresser AND our RENTED white walls.

Frantically I called my mother to ask her what to do. She told me that at the hospital where she works at; when someone accidentally gets permanent marker on a solid surface where it doesn't belong, they just take a dry erase marker and go over the permanent marker and it comes right off. I then explained that I had NO idea how long it had been there and that it was in all different colors; but all she said is it won't hurt to try.

She said to use any dry erase marker color you have, it doesn't matter. Scribble over the permanent marker and then wipe it away with a paper towel, cloth or whatever you have and, "POOF", it's gone. She also told me that when I use it on the white wall it might leave a hint of the dry erase markers color but all you need is a wet rag or something to get that off.

To my surprise, IT WORKED! ON ALL THE SURFACES! It almost makes me want to draw on things with a sharpie just for fun. So I guess grandma saves her grandson yet again from one of his goofy mistakes.

By Shannon

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow, that's incredible. I use permanent markers a lot also. I have no small kids but I can manage to get them on stuff all on my own. I cant wait to try out this idea. Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks to your mom too!

Great great idea, I have a 2 and 3 yr old. I'm more than sure this tip will come in handy. Thanks

Read More Comments...

November 28, 2016 Flag

I have dark blue permanent marker on a portable DVD player screen. What do I use to remove it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A computer tech recently told me to clean my laptop computer screen with a lightly dampened microfiber cloth. It worked great and did not seem to do any harm. (He warned! - Just be sure the cloth is LIGHTLY damp and do not let ANY water/moisture run down the screen).

It seems that your DVD player screen would be very similar.

I am sure others will be able to give you more professional advice.

Good luck.

I've heard that if you go over the blue markings with the same kind of marker that did the damage it will wipe right off.

Read More Answers...

October 24, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing Sharpie on kitchen counters. Sharpie permanent marker can accidentally get on your countertops.

3 Sharpie Markers with a pen line.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker from wood floors. Permanent marker is meant to be just that, permanent. However, there are often ways to remove it from surfaces where it has accidentally been applied.

Cleaning Permanent Marker from Wood Floors

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 2, 2011 Flag

As a teacher, once when I was preparing for a class, I used a permanent marker on the new dry eraser board. I read the marker and found EXPO's 1-800 number and called it for help. You can erase permanent marker by writing over it with another marker and wiping it off with a tissue.

The second method for removing it is EXPO Erase spray. I have removed many a nasty note (middle schoolers) from desks, chairs, and mirrors in the bathroom. It should be named Miracle Spray.

By SandyE from Battle Creek, MI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sandy, where can you get this spray?

Absolutely the best thing for removing permanent marker is a product by Motsenbocker., available at Lowe's or other hardware supply places. I have used it on fine wood furniture after my grandson "decorated" it. I have taken marker off plastic, my hands and metal. It is amazing. Motsenbocker also makes other removers for paint and sticky stuff.

Read More Comments...

August 18, 2010 Flag

For those of you who were wondering how to get Magic Marker off walls, leather, and anything other than wood furniture, use toothpaste (not gel).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 23, 2009 Flag

If you every need to get permanent marker off of a hard surface (folder, notebook, counter, floor, etc.), use bug spray.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a car. Vandals sometimes choose to graffiti on cars using permanent markers.

Man wiping car exterior with a cloth

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 17, 2014 Flag

For furniture, try milk. On clothes, use hand sanitizer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2016 Flag

So a couple of years ago my sister found a permanent marker and coloured all over my family's wireless keyboard. She was about 2-3 at the time. My dad got most of it off, but not all of it. There's still marks from the permanent marker on it. Since then, I've been trying to get it off. It has been stained for about 2-4 years.
Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try regular rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). I've had good luck with that removing permanent marker ink from various plastics.

August 25, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about removing Sharpie from skin. Sharpies are great to have around for many reasons but it can be easy to get on yourself. Whether it was from a broken pen or a child got a hold of your Sharpie, it can tough to get Sharpie ink off of skin.

Removing Sharpie from Skin, Closeup of Sharpie Pen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2011 Flag

Should someone get permanent marker on your dry eraser board, there is a very simple way to fix that problem. Trace over the words or marks with a dry eraser marker, and then wipe clean.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2015 Flag

Just take a dry erase marker and rub it over the permanent marker and wipe off. This only works on shiny surfaces.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 14, 2005 Flag

I was recently give a walker, which I assume is aluminum or some light weight metal. A previous owners name was written on it in what appears to be black permanent marker. There is also a sticker on it that will not peel off. Is there a way I can remove the name and sticker?

Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

WD 40 will remove stickers everytime. It might remove the marker but could not say that for sure since I've never used it for that. Comet might work for the marker.

There is a product called ink away made by goo gone.

The bottle I have is 2 fl.oz. so its a small bottle. My kids got ahold of a permenent marker in my van and it took it off! I was amazed! and so relieved!

I got it at menards or lowes.

Read More Answers...

November 12, 2014 Flag

Use a product called Goof Off. I spayed this on the marker spot and it ran off. Be sure to have a dry rag to wipe it up quickly. It's the only thing that takes it all off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove permanent marker off of a white board?

By Annie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get permanent marker off any hard surface; go to a craft store and buy a 1/2 ounce glass jar of Testors Enamel Thinner. Dip a qtip into it or dab some on a cotton ball.. then wip off with a paper towel! It works great!

On a white board however, the tip from gondodeb is true! Just go over the marker with a dry-erase marker and it will rub right off :)

Write over it with white board marker then erase. If not erased, put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe.

Read More Answers...

November 1, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from wood furniture. Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it.

A colorful wooden dresser.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 14, 2011 Flag

If you get permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt blue!), you can remove it with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2011 Flag

How do you get permanent marker off of white shoes?

By Eli

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a very gentle wipe with nail polish remover, don't rub too hard but I know I did that in the 80's with my scuffed pumps!

I have never tried this on shoes, but it works on everything else. If you use another permanent marker and write over the first mark and quickly wipe it off, it takes the original mark off immediately. Just try a little at a time and don't try too much at a time. I have even used this on dry erase boards and blackboards, works every time. Good luck!

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 19, 2011
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄