Apple Baked French Toast
- 1 large loaf French or Italian bread
- 8 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 to 8 medium-sized cooking apples (I use Granny Smith)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Slice bread into 1-1/2-inch slices.
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with margarine or cooking spray.
- Place bread in the baking dish with sides touching (snug fit).
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, milk and vanilla with whisk, for about 30 seconds.
- Pour one half of the egg mixture over the bread.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover.
- Pour balance of egg mixture evenly over apples.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over top of apples. Dot with butter.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover dish and bake in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve with warm syrup or powdered sugar.
Source: Gourmet magazine (August 1, 2006)
By Connie from Cotter, AR
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 3, 2016 at 8:07:55 AM on 10.0.2.172 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us