OdorsCleaning

Removing Odor From Plastic Sealing Rings

How do I get a sour smell out of plastic sealing rings? For example, the plastic ring for a blender.

Patti from St. Petersburg, Fl.

Not sure what part of the blender is the plastic sealing ring exactly (you aren't talking about the rubber sealing gasket are you??) but...

I assume you gave it a good soak in hot soapy water. Any plastic tupperware I have had that I need to de-stinkify I either put it out in the sunshine...or wrap it in newspaper...or make a paste or solution of baking soda. Sometimes vinegar will also get smells out. Sometimes it takes a few attempts. IF there are grooves or crevices involved make sure to clean any food etc out of those of course.

Just be sure whatever method you use is suitable for the plastic involved. (For example you wouldnt want to put a softer plastic out for too long under the sunlight...etc)

Some plastics are just more porous than others and once they get funky they tend to stay that way. I bought a little plastic pill container at a dollar store once that had a musty smell. I spent considerable time messing with it trying to get the musty smell out. Even stuffed it with whole cloves and left it for several months and it ended up smelling like cloves + mustyness. I eventually gave up and tossed the darn thing.

PS >>>

If you did mean the rubber gasket...those prob wouldn't hold up to too harsh of treatment to retain their proper seal. You can buy new ones for most blenders for not much money.

Set it in bright sun light for a day or two. Make sure you flipped it over to kill the odor. You can also soak it in bleach water. Just rinse really well!