Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.

Deodorant can leave stubborn stains on your clothing. These stains can often be removed if you use the right cleaning methods. This is a guide about removing deodorant stains from clothing.

Solutions: Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Deodorant Marks

Take a pair of old panty hose and rub back and forth across the fabric where the deodorant stain is. It will help remove it.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing.

Question: Deodorant Stains Turned Black Dress Blue Under Arms

I have a dress which is lace with a black underlay and the armpits have gone blue? Help please.

By Michelle

Question: Removing Deodorant Stains from Clothing

How do I get deodorant stains out?

By Tracy

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie08/04/2011

Are the blouses made of any kind of synthetic fabric or a blend of synthetic and natural-if yes, you are stuck, nothing gets that yellow out. Ask me how I know (sniffle), I've lost a few lovely blouses over the years to underarm protection.

I ended up switching to a powder deodorant and haven't used antiperspirants in years because I got tired of finding the perfect blouse only to have the chemicals in the antiperspirants react to the synthetic fibers and leave a very unattractive stain-seems the combination of the chemicals in the antiperspirant react to the chemicals in laundry soaps and that causes a reaction in the make-up of the synthetic fibers which in turn causes the unremovable garment stain.

Question: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

How can I remove the hard deodorant stains in my husbands cotton t-shirts? It also started happening in his colored t-shirts as well. The stain is yellow but the worst part is that it ends up getting hard. Its a little difficult to wear something like that.

By Cindy from Grand Beach, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Pope12/23/2010

I have no idea what to do about the stains, but to keep from getting stains in the first place, I would recommend changing deodorant. I use Crystal Deodorant that I can buy at Walgreens, grocery stores, and sometimes Big Lots. It costs around $5.00 or so, depending on where you buy it. It has no real scent and can be used by men or women. It gets rid of body odor by neutralizing the bacteria. It has no aluminum chlorohydrate and leaves no stains whatsoever on clothes.

http://www.thecrystal.com/

Question: Removing Deodorant Stains on Cotton Poly Blend Clothes

How do I remove deodorant stains on shirts? They are underarm stains on cotton and polyester blends.

By Gail from United Arab Emirates

Question: Deodorant Stains on Undershirts

How do I remove underarm deodorant stains on black cotton poly blend undershirts. I really don't want to get rid of them. They still have wear to them.

Most Recent Answer

By nightcry12/02/2010

Try soaking them in peroxide & water or baking & water. Then wash as usual.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

How do I get deodorant and sweat stains out of the armpit of t-shirts?

Stargaze from Buffalo, NY

RE: Deodorant Build Up on T-Shirts

Wash in hot water with good old vinegar in the rinse. (07/19/2004)

By Linda

Vinegar

Thanks, Linda, I was just going to say the same thing - good old vinegar again, brilliant for removing the deodorant, and not bad as a final rinse in the machine as well - forget the fabric conditioner. (07/19/2004)

By Lizaixi

Water and Vinegar

Soak stained area in a mix of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water for about half an hour, then toss in the wash. Also removes sweat stains. (07/19/2004)

By Alex

Vinegar

Now just let me get my two cents worth in here... VINEGAR! I spray warm vinegar onto the stains, then soak in warm water or throw right into the wash, on warm. (07/19/2004)

By

RE: Deodorant Build Up on T-Shirts

Is the build-up hard, almost like a crust? My Dad used to get that, and my Mom would make a paste of UNSEASONED meat tenderizer and water, rub it in and let it stand overnight, then wash as usual. If you use the seasoned tenderizer it might stain the fabric. It really works! (07/27/2004)

By Becki in Indiana

RE: Deodorant Build Up on T-Shirts

Meat tenderizer? I'll have to give that one a try. I tried the vinegar soak, but no luck - crusty build up still there. Haven't tried vinegar as a machine rinse, however, how much would I put in my standard size washer would be my only question. (11/22/2004)

By Christopher

RE: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

I would suggest changing deodorant. Find one that does not leave a residue, and may be more effective. Maybe one size larger T-shirt would eliminate too close contact with skin. (02/10/2006)

By WIsgal

Lemon Juice

With regards to removing deodorant stains from white shirts, I have used straight LEMON JUICE on the stain. I apply a generous amount of lemon juice on the stains, then leave the shirt out in the direct hot sun for a few hours. This process almost totally removed the stains. I found I had to repeat the process two or three times though, but noticed a drastic improvement after one application. Try this, it may work for you too. (08/17/2006)

By Sabrina

Archive: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

My husband's work shirts have a build up of deodorant on the underarm area. How can I get this off? I have washed them in hot water, tried scrubbing those areas by hand, tried stain remover. Nothing seems to work and it just doesn't look very nice. Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

Louise from Port Charlotte, FL

Request: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

RE: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

Try simply washing longer! My husband recently got new t-shirts and after only a few wears, the yellow armpit stains began to return! My Wash Cycle spans from 14 (long wash) to 6 (short wash). I usually choose 10. However, last time I chose 14 using hot water and the t-shirts came out spotless. I was amazed. I guess the trick is to get them out asap before it's too late. (11/14/2006)

By Wanda

Archive: Deodorant Stains on Undershirts

My husband wears Right Guard Extreme Sport Gel deodorant. No matter how much or how little he uses, it makes the under arms of his undershirts stiff and hard. After about 6 weeks or so, the shirts will even gets holes in them. I have tried spraying them with stain remover, soaking them in bleach, nothing works. Any suggestions?

Jennifer from St. Peters MO

RE: Right Guard Deodorant Build Up on Undershirts

Have you tried spraying them with straight ammonia or vinegar? (01/04/2006)

By homeschoolin_mum

I am sure there is something out there that will get it out, but if it won't come out of his clothes and is so harsh that it eats holes in them, do you really think it's a good idea to keep using it? If so, I'd try ammonia or vinegar with hot water. (01/04/2006)

By Barbie

Try making a paste of Borax and water and work it into the stain. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or so then proceed to wash as usual. Afterward, always wash undershirts, t-shirts, etc. wrong side out and if you notice the problem starting up, pre-treat with a good laundry pre-treat product, rubbing in thoroughly. It's not just the brand of deodorant, but a chemical reaction that is causing it. I've learned this from treating this problem in my husbands shirts for years. Good luck. (01/04/2006)

By SalTCBug

I think you use ammonia for deodorant stains on clothing. Good luck. (01/05/2006)

By Carol

Believe it or not, this works. Buy a container of meat tenderizer (on the spice aisle of the grocery store), shake some into a small dish, and add water a few drops at a time to make a thick paste. Spread this paste liberally on the stiff areas and work it in well with an old toothbrush. Let it set for several hours (overnight is good), then rinse it out with HOT water. Most or all of the stiffness should be gone, wash as usual. I have used this tip many times and it has always worked! (01/06/2006)

By Becki in Indiana

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

How could I remove hard stains on armpits of white t-shirts caused by deodorant? The fabric actually turns hard.

Diane from Merrillville, Indiana

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

My late husband had the same problem. I never did get the hard crusty part out, but I started pouring ammonia on the underarms of the shirts before I put them in the washer and that helped by not getting stains to start with. (11/14/2008)

By Reniesue

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

How do you get hardened deodorant stains from underarms off of t-shirts?

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

What is a safe way to remove the white residue left by deodorant from a bra?

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

What can I use to remove grease stains and deodorant stains off clothing? I've tried Shout and other spray cleaners, but none work.