Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing

Deodorant can leave stubborn stains on your clothing. These stains can often be removed if you use the right cleaning methods. This is a guide about removing deodorant stains from clothing.

Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Filter Sort

Tip: Removing Deodorant Marks

Take a pair of old panty hose and rub back and forth across the fabric where the deodorant stain is. It will help remove it.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Deodorant Stains on Undershirts

By susan 1

How do I remove underarm deodorant stains on black cotton poly blend undershirts. I really don't want to get rid of them. They still have wear to them.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By nightcry 1 11 Flag

Try soaking them in peroxide & water or baking & water. Then wash as usual.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Deodorant Stains from Clothing

How do I get deodorant stains out?

By Tracy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

Are the blouses made of any kind of synthetic fabric or a blend of synthetic and natural-if yes, you are stuck, nothing gets that yellow out. Ask me how I know (sniffle), I've lost a few lovely blouses over the years to underarm protection.

I ended up switching to a powder deodorant and haven't used antiperspirants in years because I got tired of finding the perfect blouse only to have the chemicals in the antiperspirants react to the synthetic fibers and leave a very unattractive stain-seems the combination of the chemicals in the antiperspirant react to the chemicals in laundry soaps and that causes a reaction in the make-up of the synthetic fibers which in turn causes the unremovable garment stain.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

By cindy beckman 1

How can I remove the hard deodorant stains in my husbands cotton t-shirts? It also started happening in his colored t-shirts as well. The stain is yellow but the worst part is that it ends up getting hard. Its a little difficult to wear something like that.

By Cindy from Grand Beach, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Pope 12 98 Flag

I have no idea what to do about the stains, but to keep from getting stains in the first place, I would recommend changing deodorant. I use Crystal Deodorant that I can buy at Walgreens, grocery stores, and sometimes Big Lots. It costs around $5.00 or so, depending on where you buy it. It has no real scent and can be used by men or women. It gets rid of body odor by neutralizing the bacteria. It has no aluminum chlorohydrate and leaves no stains whatsoever on clothes.

http://www.thecrystal.com/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Deodorant Stains Turned Black Dress Blue Under Arms

I have a dress which is lace with a black underlay and the armpits have gone blue? Help please.

By Michelle

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Deodorant Stains on Cotton Poly Blend Clothes

By Gail 1

How do I remove deodorant stains on shirts? They are underarm stains on cotton and polyester blends.

By Gail from United Arab Emirates

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

How do I get deodorant and sweat stains out of the armpit of t-shirts?

Stargaze from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

RE: Deodorant Build Up on T-Shirts

Wash in hot water with good old vinegar in the rinse. (07/19/2004)

By Linda

Vinegar

Thanks, Linda, I was just going to say the same thing - good old vinegar again, brilliant for removing the deodorant, and not bad as a final rinse in the machine as well - forget the fabric conditioner. (07/19/2004)

By Lizaixi

Water and Vinegar

Soak stained area in a mix of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water for about half an hour, then toss in the wash. Also removes sweat stains. (07/19/2004)

By Alex

Vinegar

Now just let me get my two cents worth in here... VINEGAR! I spray warm vinegar onto the stains, then soak in warm water or throw right into the wash, on warm. (07/19/2004)

By

RE: Deodorant Build Up on T-Shirts

Is the build-up hard, almost like a crust? My Dad used to get that, and my Mom would make a paste of UNSEASONED meat tenderizer and water, rub it in and let it stand overnight, then wash as usual. If you use the seasoned tenderizer it might stain the fabric. It really works! (07/27/2004)

By Becki in Indiana

RE: Deodorant Build Up on T-Shirts

Meat tenderizer? I'll have to give that one a try. I tried the vinegar soak, but no luck - crusty build up still there. Haven't tried vinegar as a machine rinse, however, how much would I put in my standard size washer would be my only question. (11/22/2004)

By Christopher

RE: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

I would suggest changing deodorant. Find one that does not leave a residue, and may be more effective. Maybe one size larger T-shirt would eliminate too close contact with skin. (02/10/2006)

By WIsgal

Lemon Juice

With regards to removing deodorant stains from white shirts, I have used straight LEMON JUICE on the stain. I apply a generous amount of lemon juice on the stains, then leave the shirt out in the direct hot sun for a few hours. This process almost totally removed the stains. I found I had to repeat the process two or three times though, but noticed a drastic improvement after one application. Try this, it may work for you too. (08/17/2006)

By Sabrina

Archive: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

My husband's work shirts have a build up of deodorant on the underarm area. How can I get this off? I have washed them in hot water, tried scrubbing those areas by hand, tried stain remover. Nothing seems to work and it just doesn't look very nice. Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

Louise from Port Charlotte, FL

Answers:

Request: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

RE: Deodorant Stains on T-shirts

Try simply washing longer! My husband recently got new t-shirts and after only a few wears, the yellow armpit stains began to return! My Wash Cycle spans from 14 (long wash) to 6 (short wash). I usually choose 10. However, last time I chose 14 using hot water and the t-shirts came out spotless. I was amazed. I guess the trick is to get them out asap before it's too late. (11/14/2006)

By Wanda

Archive: Deodorant Stains on Undershirts

My husband wears Right Guard Extreme Sport Gel deodorant. No matter how much or how little he uses, it makes the under arms of his undershirts stiff and hard. After about 6 weeks or so, the shirts will even gets holes in them. I have tried spraying them with stain remover, soaking them in bleach, nothing works. Any suggestions?

Jennifer from St. Peters MO

Answers:

RE: Right Guard Deodorant Build Up on Undershirts

Have you tried spraying them with straight ammonia or vinegar? (01/04/2006)

By homeschoolin_mum

I am sure there is something out there that will get it out, but if it won't come out of his clothes and is so harsh that it eats holes in them, do you really think it's a good idea to keep using it? If so, I'd try ammonia or vinegar with hot water. (01/04/2006)

By Barbie

Try making a paste of Borax and water and work it into the stain. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or so then proceed to wash as usual. Afterward, always wash undershirts, t-shirts, etc. wrong side out and if you notice the problem starting up, pre-treat with a good laundry pre-treat product, rubbing in thoroughly. It's not just the brand of deodorant, but a chemical reaction that is causing it. I've learned this from treating this problem in my husbands shirts for years. Good luck. (01/04/2006)

By SalTCBug

I think you use ammonia for deodorant stains on clothing. Good luck. (01/05/2006)

By Carol

Believe it or not, this works. Buy a container of meat tenderizer (on the spice aisle of the grocery store), shake some into a small dish, and add water a few drops at a time to make a thick paste. Spread this paste liberally on the stiff areas and work it in well with an old toothbrush. Let it set for several hours (overnight is good), then rinse it out with HOT water. Most or all of the stiffness should be gone, wash as usual.

I have used this tip many times and it has always worked! (01/06/2006)

By Becki in Indiana

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Deodorant Stains on Black Fabric: How can I remove underarm deodorant stains from black fabrics without fading or shrinking? The shirts in question are cotton (although there is one that is more of a poly/spandex) and have been washed several times with residue still remaining.

Jeannette from Rexburg, ID

Answers:

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Talk about deodorant stains! I had the weirdest thing happen after I got my new GE front load washer. I was washing a load of colored clothes and I had used my usual Tide he, which is recommended for that washer and a brand of fabric softener I had used before, but it was a new scent. When I took the clothes out of the dryer, my husband's colored T-shirts were all wrinkled under the arms and the wrinkles were stiff like plastic. It hadn't happened until I used that new scent of fabric softener. I've washed and washed and it will not come out. It's still stiff and wrinkled. I'm supposing it was a reaction between his deodorant and the fabric softener. (03/20/2007)

By auntieM39

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I had a problem with a deodorant stain on my favorite black t-shirt. It was thin and could be seen on the outside of the shirt. I had great success with Oxy clean. I rubbed it into the shirt and then threw it in the washer and it came out! (07/16/2007)

By Jake

RE: Deodorant Stains On Spandex

My daughter nearly freaked out. She ran through a dress rehearsal and her deodorant left large orange stains on her green spandex dance outfit. It was very traumatic. After several tries we discovered that ammonia dripped onto a paper towel would remove the stains. We also washed the garment in warm Woolite under the delicate cycle afterward. The disaster was averted...whew. These things always happen when my wife is out of town on vacation. (09/06/2007)

By Dance Daddy

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Thank you everyone for your advice! Keep it coming! (09/07/2007)

By Costumemiss

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I used to get those yellow stains in the armpits of my white shirts. Then my husband told me to quit using deodorant and just use anti-perspirant (I use his old spice sport stuff). It stopped the issue and I think that it works just as good, and I'm not stinky :-) (09/28/2007)

By Becky

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I would always get this thick crusty yellowish residue on my p.e. shirts back in high school. Even after I washed it, it still smelt like sweat and deodorant. I put about 2 tablespoons of laundry soap in a small tub of warm water in the sink. Then I went to work. Just keep scrubbing and rinsing. Keep smelling it while you're at it. After about 15 minutes of scrubbing, I put it in the washer, and it was like a brand new shirt. (01/15/2008)

By Clara

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

AMMONIA - someone mentioned it in one of the earlier posts. Ammonia is the best way to get deodorant stains. (03/12/2008)

By junebug

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I tried mixing vinegar, lemon juice and meat tenderizer all together, and applied to the armpit area. To my surprise after leaving it overnight, it created a big hole at the area. There goes my favorite shirt! (05/11/2008)

By akim

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I had no success with lemon juice, but I tried the meat tenderizer paste. It didn't work just leaving it on there overnight. What I eventually figured out works great: Wet the armpit of the shirt, add the meat tenderizer mixture. Let it set for a few hours (2-4 works) and then scrape at it with a metal spoon against a hard surface. Once it starts to come up, add a very small amount of liquid detergent and scrape again. Be careful not to scrape too hard or you'll damage the shirt... only a little pressure should be needed. Wash as you normally would. (06/11/2008)

By Halz

Yucky Yellow Stains on White/Light Clothing from Deodorant/A

How many great white tops are ruined from underarm yellowing? Isn't it just gross? I wonder if it is just my body chemistry or the deodorant/anti-perspirant I'm using that creates these unsightly stains. Here's something that worked, and I didn't believe it would, as I have tried (and gave up on) stain sticks, soap scrubbing, etc. for these stains.

My mother has an allergy to scented products, so she switched to using baking soda for deodorant (wet a few fingers and touch them to the baking powder, then spread it over underarm area - it's non-toxic, clean feeling and surprisingly effective!). She said after using it a while, she noticed the yellowish armpit stains in her clothing were disappearing. Could it be so easy? So I smeared some soda right from the box on those little spots on a favorite white cotton peasant blouse (wet the stained area first) and left it sitting for a couple of days. Then I threw the blouse in the front loader washing machine with the rest of the light wash I had, and couldn't believe when the blouse came out clean with no underarm staining. Now it's not perfectly white-white, but it's pretty darn close.

I don't know how it would work on colors or synthetics (poly, poly-blends, etc.) - haven't tried it, so test first. By the way, for stains on clothing in general, I use Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick (bright green and red packaging) and it works 99% of the time. Treat stains ASAP, and wash in cold water. Spread the word.

(07/08/2008)

By Valerie

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I have used a product called "De-Solv-It" that worked fairly well. It didn't get rid of the stains, but it did well for drastically reducing the stiffness. I sprayed it on, left it for an hour, scrubbed it with a clean bath brush, then sent it through the wash. But beware, De-solv-it is an orange based solvent, and it will leave a light orange color on whites. (07/26/2008)

By Gerald

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

On whites, I soaked the stain in vinegar and then sprinkled on some baking soda and rubbed it in really well. Then I let it sit for about an hour and washed as usual, the stains were pretty much gone. I just don't know what to do with the darks because I think what I did on the whites might remove the color. If I test it I will let you know. (10/04/2008)

By hyperskygirl

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

How could I remove hard stains on armpits of white t-shirts caused by deodorant? The fabric actually turns hard.

Diane from Merrillville, Indiana

Feedback:

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

My late husband had the same problem. I never did get the hard crusty part out, but I started pouring ammonia on the underarms of the shirts before I put them in the washer and that helped by not getting stains to start with. (11/14/2008)

By Reniesue

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

How do you get hardened deodorant stains from underarms off of t-shirts?

By Mrobinson from Titusville, FL

Feedback:

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Soak in a solution of vinegar and water. If that doesn't work, try some Oxi Clean that can be purchased from Dollar General or Family Dollar. (05/16/2009)

By MCW

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I've used Mean Green on armpit areas where the deodorant prevented the water and detergent from washing out the sweat odor and white flakes. I had no idea Mean Green could be used for a laundry pre-treatment until I was bored and reading the back of the bottle one day! I'd give this a try for yellowed crusty areas, too, but I'm betting it will require some soaking and scraping.

Once I read online that you can prevent armpit stains by dropping a couple of plain aspirin into the wash with new shirts. I don't think this tip works for shirts that are already stained, though. (05/22/2009)

By sigma28

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

What is a safe way to remove the white residue left by deodorant from a bra?

By Linda Rose from CA

Feedback:

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Have you tried taking the cap full of liquid laundry soap you are going to add to your wash-load and pouring it directly on to the stain and using an old toothbrush to scrub it a bit, then washing as usual? You can also use "Goop," the creamy hand cleaner made for mechanics. You buy Goop at the $1 store.

That tip is for antiperspirant stains, but for perspiration stains, use peroxide. Let it sit and fizz for 5 minutes before laundering.

I also bleach my white and light colored bras and I switched to a deodorant, I quit using antiperspirants. Deodorants leave no residue. My favorite brand is called "Tom's." It's available at Health Food Stores. For people who perspire heavily, you can also use a crystal-rock natural antiperspirant before your deodorant. (Ask about it at the Health Food Store.) The crystal-rock doesn't leave any residue, but they stop you from sweating (it's made from a natural salt, I think it's potassium salt) and it really works!

OOPS! I just read that you live in California! Do you add a water softener when you wash your clothes (like Calgon)? If not, adding it will make a huge difference! I remember how hard the water in California was when I lived there back in the 1970s and how nothing came clean without a water softener. (05/05/2010)

By Cyinda

Archive: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

What can I use to remove grease stains and deodorant stains off clothing? I've tried Shout and other spray cleaners, but none work.

By Susan from Madera, CA

Feedback:

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Do you mean you want to wash the clothes? If yes, I've been using the original Dawn dish washing liquid with great success. It got black spray paint off of a pair of my jeans and I'm having good luck with stains too. Rub a little on the stain, let it sit a bit and wash. No stains. You might also try regular, clear shampoo. It's made to dissolve body oils, so you might have good luck before washing.
Good luck! (06/30/2010)

By metroplex

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Use water softener, let it stay for couple hours, then wash your clothing. (06/30/2010)

By yellow-hawk

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I have had good results using Palmolive Oxiclean dish soap, in the blue bottle. It works getting out old mustard stains, black marker stains, etc. Just squeeze some on and work it in and wash as normal. (06/30/2010)

By arizonamafia

RE: Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I too use the original blue Dawn dish detergent, it will remove just about anything. (07/01/2010)

By mary1day

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 16, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Removing Graphite (or Pencil) Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 5:47:21 PM on 10.0.2.77 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings