Convert An Old Dresser Into A Bathroom Sink Stand

When I bought my house, it needed extensive updating. I had to keep costs down, so I bought a dresser at an auction to use as my vanity. I tried crackling it but did not get the desired effect so I stenciled a leaf pattern on and then sanded some of the paint away to get a shabby chic look. My son installed it but had to cut a hole in one drawer to make room for the sink. I am pleased with the results.

By Elaine from Iowa

You bathroom sink is awesome.cathy from ma

it is very pretty you did a great job!

That is beautiful -- what a neat thing to do!

Hi-Looks great. I need some advice. We are doing the same basic thing with an old dresser. The finish is fine so we won't paint it but I am unsure how to seal it so water won't ruin it. What did you use and how well is it working?? Thanks. velsgal @ yahoo . com

Can the drawers be used since a sink is in there now? It is very nice. I would love to have one, especially is the drawers are usable

How beautiful, Elaine!

God Bless,

Sheila in Cocoa, FL

Poor But Proud here...That is Awesome!! You guys did a great job. I love to see old things made new again. I saw a ladder the other day that was leaned up against a deck wall and made into a plant stand and a place to hang wet boots before coming back into the house. I once found an old kids red wagon and used it for plants, and see old hard hats made into planters.

Who says we need to be rich!!

How cute!!!

you can basically use a marine poly and do it a few good times to seal it and then this is the hard part not use it for a day or 2 til it dries really well!!!!

This looks Great! What a creative use for an old piece of furniture!

STUNNING!

Absolutely beautiful. I was thinking of doing this in my master bath. You made up my mind. I love it. Could you please include instructions. Thanks

Thank you all for your kind comments. I sent a picture of the drawer too but did it separately and I am sure they did not realize the two were supposed to go together explaining what i did on the drawers. Here is a picture of that. My son put a very narrow partition in the front and the rest of the top drawer where the sink goes is not usable. But the 1/2 to the left is usable on the top drawer. Basically, he just built a box around where the sink would go. Works great for me, it is kind of narrow but I put makeup in it. Then, of course the bottom two drawers are usable all the way across.

One thing I would caution you on about putting a sealer on it. If you do not want it to yellow, DO NOT PUT MARINE VARNISH ON IT". Use a water based polyurethane. It will yellow the minute it gets dry and you do not want that, I wouldn't think. Also put at least 3 coats on, preferably 4, especially on the top that gets the most use.

This sink is absolutely beautiful. Gives me a good idea for my bathroom.

thanks,we were hit by a tornado and have to redo everything. my husband wants a double sink.i have a dresser that is perfect.will send pic when done.

Your dresser is stunning. Congratulations!

OMG my uncle took my old dresser that was a hand me down from my mom she had it when she was in her teens. Anyway it was in pretty bad condition and he did this and it was BEAUTIFUL! That is a great idea!

I love it!! I have a pedestal sink in my bathroom in the basement. The room is kind of small so I have been trying to figure a way to get more storage space and still look good. I just may have to try this even though half of the dresser wouldn't be useable, just look good..lol. Thanx for the great idea. Yours is beautiful.

Could someone please give me directions on how to do this. I bought an old dresser, but I do not know how to cut a whole for sink.I need your help! Kindly, Janice

I think my son just used a reciprocating saw. You could use a jigsaw if you have one. Start your cut in the middle of where you have it marked. I was lucky enough to have sons that are plumbers so they do this all the time. If I talk to one of them in a few days, I will get back to you and see how they did it for sure.