Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I live in an older mobile home and would like to put peel and stick or regular tiles over the back splash in the kitchen that is made of laminate, like the counter tops. Can this be done?

By Judy from Braham, MN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Yes, peel and stick tiles can be used as a backsplash, but don't rely on the self adhesive to work alone. You will need to spread thinly another type of adhesive to the wall prior to placing tiles.

Clean the laminate thoroughly with something like STP. Rinse and dry well as well. Sand the laminate lightly in all directions with a fine grit sandpaper to make a tooth for the adhesive tiles.I agree with Lorelei that you should use another thin layer of adhesive on the laminate itself, perhaps No More Nails to reinforce the stuff on the back of the tiles. Whatever u use should be waterproof and mold resistant if possible since they will be exposed to so much water. Maybe clear caulk like is used in bathrooms would work as the second adhesive but I would spread it thin with a putty knife.

Also, you may want to think of some nice molding around the top to keep it in place. Good plan!

No. I would advise against that, m.o ~ Actually, what looks really nice, easy maintenance etc. You can find it at Home Depot or maybe Rona's. It's a board, back splash. They come in different sizes. I had a navy blue one, blackish in between to simulate the tiled edges. And it was very affordable and washable, etc., Low maintenance. Easy to put up. Did it myself.

If you use peel and stick, eventually, it will fall off and it's a pain. They may slide around, you start to see spaces, in between the tiles, etc. Similar to a floor only worse. They aren't designed to lay upwards flat, they fall down. You basically either have to glue them down for durability or mud them with tile glue.

If ever you want to change your mind. That makes it hard to take off virtually destroying your walls. Here's a link to it. I found it at Home Depot. It comes in different styles and sizes. The website is limited. In case the link won't load. You can do a search on Home Depot-Backsplashes.

Hope that helps! Just an added idea. :)

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/ ... atchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

I have done this at camp. Do not leave gaps or it will come up as water eventually will leak through. The counter area must be clean & dry, use the tiles and if they are not sticking you will need to use an iron to heat it up (put clean white paper on tile to protect it, move it often). This is also a good way to remove the stick on tile <g> use a brass scraper (stiffer) to help scrape it up when its warm. Make sure you do not cut on it, do not put hot pots on it, lift up the drain board and let area dry, when wiping counter do not leave water standing, wipe dry.

Answer

How does one make the pattern for laying adhesive floor tiles around the bottom of the toilet?

By Jet

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest that you use my invention. It is replacong the tile by covering it with a full-size commode surround. You can order it from me. I've attached an ad so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Read More Answers...

I live in an old home and can't financially replace my countertops with Formica or the other normal ways. I found some peel and stick tiles at our local home improvement store. I asked the salesperson if I could use the spacers and grout it and he said he didn't see why not.

Can I do this to get the look of grouted tile? Right now there is old veneer on top and I put contact paper over that. I definitely need to change it and this is an inexpensive way out for me for now. Please help.

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would look in the clearance area of Lowes or Home Depot or a tile store, these tiles are marked down cheap. Less than a dollar a square foot and I think the linoleom tiles are $1 a piece. Tiles are cheap.

Read More Answers...

A few of my self adhesive vinyl tiles did not stick. What should I do?

By Judy from Jonesboro, GA

Answers:

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

Glue them down. They may still make tile glue. If not, a glue gun, "Liquid Nails" or some strong glue will work. Ask someone at the store where you bought the tiles. (09/08/2010)

By thriftyvicki

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

Try heating the tiles with a hairdryer and then weighting the tiles down, perhaps with some heavy books, the heat should reactivate the glue, on the tile back. (09/12/2010)

By skf620

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

Get some mastic glue/cement at Home Depot or the like. This is what is used to lay non-self-stick tile or vinyl. (09/12/2010)

By lindal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is the best way to install peel and stick tile in a mobile home?

By Laura from Lafayette, LA

Answers:

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

Go by info on box, good luck. (01/01/2010)

By kffrmw88

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I would advise you to buy some floor adhesive at Lowe's or Home Depot and brush it on the plywood flooring before laying your tiles. Follow directions on the can of adhesive before laying your peel and stick tiles. The peel and stick tiles will not adhere properly if you don't use floor adhesive.

Find the center of the floor, lay 4 tiles in a square and work from the middle of your floor to the outer perimeter. You can always cut your tiles to fit next to the baseboards.

Go to Google and search for a website that shows you how to properly lay a floor. (01/01/2010)

By MCW

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

We used peel and stick on a small bathroom over linoleum. The above info is the proper way to do it, but if you have an older mobile (like ours) 12 ft. wide, then cabinets and a long outside wall, here is my suggestion.

Lay out your tiles along the wall and work toward the cabinets, as this is the most seen area. Cut to fit under the cabinets. If you have molding down the wall and under cabinets, remove and discard. You really need to buy new to put over the tiles. If you are applying over plywood or a very bumpy textured linoleum then buy adhesive, otherwise super clean and extra super rinse the floor.

Hope this helps.
(01/24/2010)

By Liz

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have replaced the wood in the kitchen floor of a mobile home and want to put down peel and stick tile. How do I go about doing this?

By Jazzy Kay from Birmingham, AL

Answers:

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I have replaced all the carpet in my mobile home due to pets. Make sure you buy an adhesive for vinyl tile which most peel and stick tile is. Start in the center of the room and place adhesive directly on the floor, trowel even, and start placing tiles. Wipe up extra with a damp cloth on the tiles. It easy and looks great.! It is time consuming, but worth the effort. Good luck. (09/06/2009)

By afraylick

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm using peel and stick tile in my kitchen. I'm putting it over existing square tile. Is there anything I need to do before sticking down the tile?

Rachel from Holtsville, NY

Answers:

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I put peel and stick tiles in our bathroom, and the floor looks great. The adhesive is very sticky, no additional glue needed.

Also, if you'll be cutting any pieces to fit around the toilet, etc., two things will make it easier. First, warm it up a bit with a hair dryer. Secondly, if you have an old pair of kitchen shears you no longer use, your hands will thank you. Regular scissors aren't quite good enough to cut through the tiles. (03/15/2009)

By WildIrish

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

Of course I'm presuming you already know to be sure the area to be tiled is free of dust, dirt and debris, as well as anything you don't want permanently attached to the new tile. (03/18/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I just installed "premium" vinyl tiles in my kitchen. Per manufacturer's instructions, using additional glue will VOID the WARRANTY. Also, they will not warrant tiles used anywhere there is water (duh, okay that pretty much wipes out the warranty, but still good to know). They also do not want you to use any "harsh chemicals" or wax on the tiles. Our local Walmart has used vinyl in the shoe department and they wax it as they do the regular "store type" tiles and the edges are curling after just a couple of years. "No wax" means "No wax".

I recommend having old linoleum under the tiles for the water proof factor of the subflooring beneath. Also, I watched videos on HGTV before starting and got some very helpful tips on how to measure around corners and such. I'm super happy with my tiles. (03/18/2009)

By mizzoumom

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I've used the Cryntel peel-n-stick tiles (from Lowe's) in my entry way, stair landing and all bathrooms and they've held up well. I did however pull up the old linoleum flooring and cleaned the sub-floor before installing. Mistake. Water can seep through to the sub-floor (as I've witnessed). I've now put a clear sealer over the flooring, which is holding up well.

Since you are cutting the tiles to fit, make sure to keep the spare pieces. I decided to use the spare pieces along with some full size (12x12) tiles, cut into 3rds, to redo the backsplash in my kitchen. It looks fantastic. I used wood trim below and above to even it out and give it depth. I still have to spackle/wood fill the screw holes in the trim, caulk and then put a couple coats of polycrylic over to seal and protect from water, but the transformation is amazing.

If you are considering using peel-n-stick, most home improvement stores will let you buy one, or a few pieces. This way, you can put in different areas (before installing) to see how it will go. The tiles I used have the grout line in them also, making them look more like real tile. I tried putting it on the sides of my white laminate kitchen cabinets. It doesn't stay up, unless you use a 2nd strong adhesive and some small screws. I decided against it and used textured wall paper.

Good luck! (03/28/2009)

By go2jared

RE: Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Has anyone used peel and stick tile in their bathroom? Do you have to use extra glue do to the moisture?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringFebruary 19, 2011
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 8:09:03 AM on 10.0.1.4 in 411 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.