My Frugal Life: Maintain What You Already Have

Year after year, my husband says "don't spend any money" and I make lists of things we "need" and then go about getting them. Next, I sell a bunch of what I call JUNK at garage sales every so often. See a pattern here?My Frugal Life

Well, my husband's advice seemed ridiculous, but when you see the pattern and you see your beautiful home, but your weak retirement plan (or no real plan at all), you better see change. So, we've changed, especially ME!

We have made our biggest priority, financially, to put 6 months living expense in a savings account for real emergencies only. We have committed to each other that we will save for ANYTHING else. So, until we have our emergency fund fully funded, we have cut ourselves off. Completely. And it actually feels wonderful.

Groceries are now budgeted and really thought through before purchase. Meals are planned out for a month. Coupons are cut. Clothes are mended. In other words, our focus is on maintaining the things we have rather than getting any more of anything that is not essential.

This tough time in the economy has been a true blessing for us. As a couple, there is increased joy when both partners are on the same page. Shared goals are priceless.

laubru010 from Mason, OH

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

A lot of spending is just looking for something to do, to feel worthwhile, to be entertained.

If you want to be entertained, raise a few chickens.

If you want something to do, cook at home.

If you want to be entertained, go to garage sales and meet people. Put 3 dollars in your pocket and stretch it. You can find a cute personal cup or bowl. A cooking utensil you've wanted, drawing supplies for your children.

If you want to improve your health, dig a small deep garden. You can plant more in less space if plants can put down deep roots.

If you want a treat, make candy, or popcorn.

Once you know you can't go out and pay full price and spend and you are more or less going to live around your home, go explore your area. Walk, and notice.

Amazing. You are still alive, still interested, still entertained.

I agree & proud of every dime we have saved. We cannot spend money just to be spending it, We have to need something before we give our money away. Hope this helps somebody to save. Save till they retire,they will be as we are, very proud. They need to teach this in schools,"how to manage money" good luck.

Just the other day I was at the bank to deposit some money from one of my eBay sales. The line was moving rather slowly and a woman told of how she and her husband lost a money in stock investments. Then another woman jumped into the conversation and blamed all the politicians for ruining our economy.

I believe that we did it to ourselves, and we the American people are to blame. We want every thing fast. We no longer want to save money for those large purchases. Just whip out the old credit card and buy whatever our heart desires. Back in 1968 when my husband and I were married, we couldn't even get a credit card unless we had a co-signer. Now even our young people are able to get credit cards.

What is this nation coming to?

Use it up.

Wear it out.

Make it do.

Or do without.

Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 15, 2009
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
A bottle of white vinegar.
Cleaning Products You Already Have
grated cheese
Storing Grated Cheese
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living