My Frugal Life: Time-Honored Ways To Save

Here I am at home, between jobs, 57 years old and looking for ways to save money. I am one of the fortunate ones; I have had a small amount saved against this possibility. That doesn't mean that I'm not watching every cent. After all, my savings won't last forever and I don't know how long I'll be home. I found this website while surfing for sites that offered ways to save and now I'm a fan. I love it all; the advice, the recipes, everything. I am also re-discovering some old, time-honored ways to save during this time.

First is cooking from scratch. It tastes better and I get more bang for my buck. Second is walking. Yup, I now consider "walking distance" to be anything within a couple miles, round trip. More, if I don't have too much weight to transport. I don't waste gas and the exercise is good for me. Third is consignment. Let's face it; most of us have too much "stuff" and can let go of some. I found a consignment shop that takes women's clothing and knick-knacks in good shape. What isn't bought can be reclaimed or is donated to charity. My rule of thumb is that if I haven't worn it, used it or thought about it in the last three years, I can do without it. I get storage space and a few bucks to boot. I have also saved money buying good clothing from this shop.

Last is gifting. With the holidays approaching (and a new grandson), I still want to give to family and friends. What has changed is the nature of the gift and how I shop. I'm not just searching for sales; I'm thinking more about what I'm giving. I'm giving my daughter two Sunday afternoons of babysitting so that she can go to her knitting circle and her husband can join his friends for a couple football afternoons. I'm giving my mom driving service to the hairdresser. She's 85, hates to drive and loves the company. Teaming up with a friend, we split the cost of canning and making homemade peach preserves. We had a wonderful time together and everyone is getting something peachy for Christmas. I'll probably do the same thing with cookies. Someone else is getting a photo collage of their beloved dog. I can get photos on sale for fourteen cents apiece, frames are inexpensive at Wal-Mart and I'll use wrapping paper for the background. Most of the people I know don't need more things; they need and want time, help, companionship, something homemade or homegrown; something from the heart.

This anxious time has its positives. One of the best is that it has brought me closer to understanding what is really important to me, my family and friends. I hope I don't lose sight of that when I'm back on someone's payroll.

Joyce from Succasunna, NJ

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

How about sharing the web site with us?

I thought she was referring to this site...Thrifty Fun when she said she found a great site for saving money, etc.

Nicely written, thanks. God bless you and I hope you find work soon.

Yes please share the web site with us?