InsectsPest Control

Earwigs in Packaged Foods?

Will earwigs get into my food, like chip bags and cereal boxes?

By zachsgranny from Indianapolis, IN

I once had a problem with them getting into my kitchen & making their way to my cutting board, the kind that goes into your cabinets just under the counter. They would go after bread crumbs & anything left on the cutting board. I cleaned & scrubbed, pulled out the pots & pans & cleaned & I could not get rid of them. So what I did was get an old sheet & staple it inside the cabinet & it draped under the cutting board. It was stapled from one side of the cupboard to the other. Then i sprinkled diazinon granules in the sheet. It didn't touch anything we used & the bugs fell into the sheet & died. It took a few weeks, but it finally got rid of them, & yes, they will get into things & eat human food.

We were having a problem with snails, a really bad problem. I had noticed earwigs;and they were coming into the house; but we were dealing with snails at the time. My husband bought something at Lowe's home improvement store; a poison for snails; and through it out outside our house. It got rid of snails, earwigs, and my ant problems are almost gone. From now on I am going to buy a bag of Snail poison in the spring and debug and desnail my home and yard.

Read this on another website:

Insecticides

There are many insecticides labeled for earwig control. Indoor treatments should supplement outdoor treatments since earwigs do not become established indoors. Dusts and residual sprays are effective when applied to baseboards, beneath cabinets and other hiding places at the floor level.

Indoors, treatments of bendiocarb (Ficam), chlorpyrifos (Dursban), diazinon, propoxur (Baygon), pyrethrins, boric acid dust, diatomaceous earth dust or resmethrin into cracks and crevices will give control. Outdoors, treat in a three to six foot band around the building adjacent to the foundation (perimeter treatment) to stop or limit earwigs from getting indoors. Apply, if needed, beginning around the end of spring and throughout the summer to the building foundation, subfloor crawl spaces, flower beds, turf or mulch in late afternoon. Apply during late spring and summer to control young earwigs. Water the dust or granule formulation into the soil. Avoid injuring ornamental plantings or flowers around the house. Always read the pesticide label and follow directions and safety precautions.