Cleaning a Shower Curtain

How do I remove scum from clear plastic shower curtain? I was told to wash it in the washing machine with laundry soap and vinegar. I did and all I got was a torn ruined shower curtain.

Coreen from Burnaby, B.C.

I used to buy the heavy vinyl shower curtains and ran into the same problem of them tearing after a number of washings. So I finally bought a white polyester fabric shower curtain liner from Walmart which sits inside the bathtub. I having a matching shower curtain which stays outside my tub which matches my bathroom drapes.

So when the shower curtain liner needs washing, I take it down and pop it in my washing machine with some bleach and detergent. Once it's done washing, I hang it up damp and it dries very quickly on the shower curtain rings.

I had the same soap scum problem till I started drying the curtain off after every use with the towel. I just dried on and it cut the problem down to almost nothing.

Maybe the reason that the shower curtain got torn was that you didn't use the gentle cycle. I put a few towels & add 1/2 C of detergent, 1/2 C bleach & 1/2 C borax. I always make sure that I wash the curtain on a sunny day so that I can then line dry it outside. Have been doing this for over 40 years & have always had great results. Good luck.

I kept having the same problem so I got a fabric shower curtain liner. I'm not sure what it's made of--polyester maybe? But it keeps the water in the shower and not on the bathroom floor, it doesn't get scummy and it doesn't fall apart in the wash.

What about getting the rust stains from hard water off? We only use cold water to wash... everything else comes lovely clean. Just can't get the rust off.

When washing a vinyl shower curtain, it is important to use warm rather than cold water. Cold water makes vinyl stiffen up, so it cracks and tears more easily. Warm water keeps it soft. When I started using warm water, my vinyl shower curtains came out whole, rather than torn to shreds!

Throw it out and get a fabric curtain. I wash mine once a month in the washer and leave the rings on. It is simple. If you must use a plastic one, use liners instead of the heavy ones then throw them away when they are dirty. I will never own a plastic curtain again.

I have the plastic shower curtain liner in my bathroom. I put it in the washer with warm water,

gain and Clorox bleach and run it through the entire

wash cycle. It comes out like new.

Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomMarch 12, 2008
Shower Curtain Rod
Uses for Shower Curtain Rods
Shower Curtain
Repairing a Shower Curtain
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎉
🎄