Preparing Okra for Freezing

How do I freeze fresh okra? Do I need to blanch it first?

By Evangela from Charleston, SC

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Nope, no blanching needed. Wash it, dry it very good, cut it up and pack it in a freezer bag, then double bag it into another freezer bag (to prevent freezer burn). If you want to bread it for freezing, just put the corn meal into the freezer bag, then the okra and shake it well. Don't use too much corn meal, a little goes a long way :) If you're freezing it whole, I think you'd do better to can it. But that's just my opinion!

Check this link out. I'm sure it'll help you out!

http://www.ehow  freeze-okra.html

A neighbor told me of a new method she has tried and loves it. Just cut the okra, lightly wash and dry. Place whole pods in freezer bags and use as you need it. It is also great on the grill.

I freeze my okra about the same way as blackbeararts. Wash and dry , then slice it crosswise. But instead of using freezer bags such as Ziplocks, I use paper lunch bags. I take 3 bags, insert one inside the other. Fill them about 3/4 full, fold down the tops and staple them shut. These bags will keep very well for up to a year with no freezer burn, and very little frost inside the bag. They will not clump together. You can use part of the bag and re-staple and return to the freezer. I always label the bag with a sharpy Marker noting the contents, "Okra" and the date I prepared it. Always use the oldest packages first.

Harlean from Arkansas

Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 18, 2010
fried okra
Cooking Okra
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Okra
Drying Okra for Crafts
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:11:53 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.