My Hibiscus Plant

This is an indoor Hibiscus Plant. It just started blooming about 1 week ago. It has on it at least 12 buds. The important tip with this plant is; When this plant is beginning to bud and bloom, It drinks up water very fast. It will only keep budding if it is fed each day, about 1 cup of water.

Also, each day that it blooms, The bloom only last 1 full day. The next morning, Clip off at the end of the stem of the curled up bloom. Each day, it should increase the amount of blooms.

I noticed today, It has blossomed 3 new flowers. And this should continue for the spring and summer. When the warm weather is here to stay, This indoor plant can go outdoors. It loves the sunshine. But, Keep an eye on watering it. It is a lot of fun watching the growth in a plant like this.

By Jackie from Norton, MA

I have never seen an indoor Hibiscus plant before. It is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. God bless you!

Hi Jackie,

Truly lovely...what is the source for such a plant? Is it very expensive and does it come in different colors?

Thanks for sharing.

Laine in Boston (Dorchester) MA

LaniJimB1 at

Thanks for the lovely picture and hint to help this plant

I recieved an hibiscus plant from Hawaii, I need to know how to plant it. It is in a bag--one end has tan dried like roots. I don't know which end goes into the soil. The other end is soft and very dark in color like a piece of the plant. Please help. vaught 21921 AT Thank you so much.

Hello, I bought cold hardy hibiscus from a mail order. It is supose to survive below 0 temps. Time will tell? I planted it out back about a week ago. Unknown as to what color it will bloom as of yet.

July 15, 2011 Flag

Every winter our Hibiscus plants get hit hard. It takes this long for them to revive, even here in Florida. I am always amazed at how precise mother nature is with flowers.

By NoRulesArt

Pink hibiscus flower

The type of hibiscus you have is one that cannot take frost or freezes well. It will die back to ground in winter and will come back if mulched good where it goes below freezing to 20 degrees but won't bloom till August and that depends on full sun, fertilizer and lots of water. If you will keep it in a pot in the winter where it is protected from freezing it will start to bloom in April or if in house in sunny window will bloom summer and winter. happy growing and remember it likes regular feedings I use 20.20.20 same as peter's professional at the rate of l.4 tsp to gal of water and do so at every feeding especially in a pot.

Photos GardenApril 10, 2007
Growing Hibiscus
Growing Hibiscus Plants
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Transplanting a Hibiscus
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom