'Bluing" Product Used to Make White Fabrics Whiter

I am looking for a product called 'Bluing' to use in the washing machine to help get whites whiter. I read in 'Dollar Stretcher' that someone recommended this and said it cost $3.00 for 16 oz but the only website I found for it wants you to buy 12 bottles.

Kim from Joppa, MD

There used to be a brand of bluing called "Little Boy Blue". It was in a small plastic bottle(It wasn't as big as 16 ounces) and was ususlly placed next to the powdered starch in grocery stores. This may be a thing of the past.

Mrs. Stewart's Bluing is the brand I remember my Mom using. There is a link on their website for stores in MD that carry it:

http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/wheretofind.htm

It looks like mostly grocery stores. I would also check independent mom n pop type hardware stores.

Otherwise on the web I saw:

can buy one bottle:

http://www.mclendons.com/item.asp?sku=10554770

comes in order of 2 bottles:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/ ... rchid=inceptor&searchid=inceptor

3 dollars for a 16 oz bottle seems too cheap but then I haven't priced it lately.

Hi Kim! Here is a .PDF site for the state of MD and the stores that carry Mrs Stewart's Bluing. I hope this helps.

http://www.mrsstewart.com/pdf/W2F/MD.pdf

I have not seen this in years. Try some mon and pop hardware, or markets. There is an interesting garden of crystals you can make with this material. As I remember you take Blueing and pore it over salt on a couple of broket bricks or concrete in a bowl. Then watch the crystals grow. To add to the fun, you put in a couple of drops of food dye. This adds to the different colors of these crystals as they grow. If you could find information about the crystal garden on line, they might be able to tell you where to get the Blueing.

Though not the same as bluing, Downy fabric softener has a blue liquid for use in the rinse cycle that's supposed to brighten whites, in case you can't get the real thing.

We have bluing in the laundry product section of most grocery stores. It is also used by farmers or 4H kids who show cows and calves to whiten the hair on the cattle,so perhaps you would want to look in a store that services a rural area. Perhaps the big city stores don't carry this product any more.

I have bought this at our grocery store many times...in the detergent aisle, so you might want to ask them about it, and if they don't carry it, alot of times you can mention it to the manager, they will check into ordering it for you...and stock the shelf to see if it is a seller or not...it isn't expensive and is a great product! good luck....Vicki

Bluing also makes a great hair rinse for white, grey, and ultra light blonde hair. Just add a capfull to a glass of water and pour over freshly washed hair, and don't rinse out. It doesn't make your hair blue, it just makes light colored hair look so much brighter and takes away that "yellow" look.

I use "bluing" all the time.

Mix it with cold water. Fill machine to desired water level. Agaite for a few seconds. Add diluted bluing. Then add clothing and wash as usual. Do not pour it directly on the clothing in the washer.

Also just follow the instructions on the container.

i'm not sure if you've already found this, but I just bought a bottle at our local Bartell's drug store. I believe they even have it at most grocery stores.

You can find this bluing at Safeway. It's called Ms Stewarts.

Bluing
Buying Bluing
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingJanuary 25, 2008
Bluing
Using Bluing
Substitute White Sauce in Stuffed Tomatoes
Substitutes For White Sauce
Homemade White Glue
Homemade White Glue
Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair
🎄