Buying Bluing

Liquid bluing is a laundry product used to improve the appearance of whites. Although less commonly used than bleach for whitening, bluing is generally easy to buy. This is a guide about buying bluing.

I am looking for a laundry whitening product and the name of it is "Miss ___"? I need to know the name and where can I purchase it.

By Linda G from Greensboro, NC

Answers

I think the name was, "Miss Bo Peep". They still carry it in drug and grocery stores that cater to an older crowd.

Years ago we use to buy a product called Bluing. It made white clothes brighter and cleaner looking. Have not been able to find it now and really need it. Seems the bras and other whites turn dingy and nothing we have tried will bring the whites back to life. Any one here know where i can find this product again?

Tonya

Answers

FILL THE WASHER WITH WATER ON SOAK CYCLE-- 1 CUP OF CLOROX AND TWO OR THREE SCOOPS OF ANY OF THE OXYGEN STAIN REMOVERS, LET IN RUN THRU THE SOAK CYCLE AND THEN WASH THEM WITH THE RECOMENDED AMOUNT OF OXYGEN PRODUCT AND SOAP----

I doubt if you can purchase that but I use a product called Yellow Out. I purchase it at Wal-Mart, Menards if that is in your area but I love this. I soak all my whites in it for 5 minutes in a pre-soak cycle and found them to stay nice and white.It takes out that dingy yellow that seems to makes clothes look so drab. Hope this will help you.

Try this link - You can buy it online at:
http://www.verm … ;keyword=blueing

They sell a lot of hard-to-find "old fashioned" merchandise. Not always frugally priced though.
Ask for their print catalog.
Hope this helps. Gretchen

Items of a nylon blend often yellow - bleach will also yellow nylon ans some other synthetics. I'd only use bleach if the item is cotton or linen.

Regards

Jo

you might try http://www.bonamo.com for the bluing. I use 1/4 cup dishwasher detergent to a load of white wash. It does the trick for dingy white clothes makes yhem white again.

I can't think of the name, but there is a product on
the top shelf of the laundry aisle at Kroger's. It's
in a small bottle with the picture of an old-fashioned
lady on it, and the word "bluing" is part of the title.
Hope this helps.

Do not put bra's in the dryer this will cause them to go dingy, just hang them to dry susan from Hamilton

It is Mrs Stewart's bluing
http://www.mrsstewart.com

Do not use bluing on anything with synthetic fibers in it as your garment will turn blue. I learned this from experience. Clorox 2 works well if let soak overnight. I use dishwasher detergent in my white laundry, let it soak overnight. (Not dish detergent but dishwasher detergent)

Haven't heard of 'bluing' but to achieve remarkable results, I soak white items in a nappy whitening solution which you should be able to buy in the laundry section of your supermarket. Works better than bleach!

Don't know where you live, but here in Indiana farm country, you can often find bluing at (believe it or not) farm supply/feed stores! I think it's because we have lots of Amish folks nearby, and they use lots of old-fashioned products. Good luck!

Try this! Wash whites 2 times. the first time wash with cold water and bleach only. (no soap) the second time wash with hot water and laundry detergent

Pathmark & Shop rite sells it, I buy it at both these places

I live in North Carolina and we do not have those stores here. Never heard of them either.. I will keep looking though. Would just about pay someone to send it to me.
Tonya

Check a search engine for a website for Mrs. Stewarts Bluing. It gives a list of distributors by state for their product. If you cant find one in your state, you can buy it from the company. It's good stuff and I use it alot.

try using oxi clean..should make your whites look like new...great for colors as well.I put a scoop in each load,great for stains,pet odors,general dingyness.Dont try bleach it'll eat the elastic

Hi there.
I use a product called Borax. it is a powder and you just add some to your load of laundry with you detergent and your clothes come out whiter and brighter. I actually spilled grease and bbq sauce from chicken on a new white shirt and it took it out. I bought it at Walmart, but it is also available at grocery stores. Hope this helps.
Valerie

I am looking for a product called 'Bluing' to use in the washing machine to help get whites whiter. I read in 'Dollar Stretcher' that someone recommended this and said it cost $3.00 for 16 oz but the only website I found for it wants you to buy 12 bottles.

Kim from Joppa, MD

Answers

There used to be a brand of bluing called "Little Boy Blue". It was in a small plastic bottle(It wasn't as big as 16 ounces) and was ususlly placed next to the powdered starch in grocery stores. This may be a thing of the past.

Mrs. Stewart's Bluing is the brand I remember my Mom using. There is a link on their website for stores in MD that carry it:
http://www.mrss … /wheretofind.htm

It looks like mostly grocery stores. I would also check independent mom n pop type hardware stores.

Otherwise on the web I saw:
can buy one bottle:
http://www.mcle … asp?sku=10554770

comes in order of 2 bottles:
http://www.verm … earchid=inceptor

3 dollars for a 16 oz bottle seems too cheap but then I haven't priced it lately.

Does anyone know if they still make LaFrance Bluing? I haven't seen it in the stores in a long time and it is the only bluing that ever really worked well for me. I think it was made by Dove. Thank you.

By Connie from Vandalia, OH

I need to find a location for Mrs. Stewart's bluing in Waco, Texas.

By Charles

Where can I buy laundry bluing?

By Lauren

I need to find bluing in Odessa Texas. Wal Mart does not carry it.

By Mollie H

Where can I find liquid bluing in Modesto?

By Susan G

Where can I find bluing for laundry?

By Linda from Charleston, WV

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Laundry bluing is available in the laundry soap section of grocery stores, here in Saskatchewan. It is called Mrs. Stewart's Bluing and comes in a bottle with an old fashioned style label. It is also used by 4H kids to whiten the white hair on their show calves, so perhaps it is also available in farm supply stores. I couldn't vouch for that, as I have always bought mine in the local Co-op. (07/01/2010)

By louel53

Where can I buy laundry bluing in San Francisco? With postage, it ends up costing way too much to buy over the internet. Thank you.

Colleen from San Francisco

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I've used blue food coloring for years. For our area, it is less expensive than the "bluing". (10/01/2008)

By Mommy

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Bluing is also used by 4H kids who show cattle to get the white hair whiter than white. Of course, there isn't much of that going on in SF, but perhaps you might find it in an agricultural products store as well. Small town grocery stores have it here in Canada, in the laundry aisle.

The crystals produced for this project are white, and don't turn blue. The bluing turns brown in the chemical reaction, which is rather interesting. (10/03/2008)

By louel53

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Mrs. Steward's bluing is supposed to be sold in all Kroger store and in all Piggly Wiggly stores in North Carolina. Go to the "Mrs. Steward's Bluing" site and find your state. It will give a list of stores that sell it. (12/31/2008)

By C. Smith

I've been looking for laundry bluing. My son wants to make some crystals for a science project. No grocery stores in my area carry it anymore and most clerks don't know what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?
Karen from Fletcher, NC

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

In my local area Walmart carries it and it is with all the Rit clothing dyes, I think Rit actually makes it. Usually all the Rit stuff is in the laundry aisle. (11/20/2005)

By Justanothercowgirl

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Most of our stores carry it, Walmart, Save-A-Lot, Krogers, Shop-N-Save. Even our Ace Hardware & some of the other hardware stores carry it. Good luck. (11/20/2005)

By Lois

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

You could try the website, http://www.mrsstewart.com . You should be able to locate it thru this site. Good Luck! Happy Thanksgiving
Lalady44 (11/20/2005)

By Lalady44

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

They don't know what it is, but they do sell it in the grocery store. It is a small blue bottle, look by all the cleaning products. My daughter use borax for her crystals. (11/22/2005)

By Nancy

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

You could buy your bluing at the store under the name Mrs. Stewart's Laundry bluing (01/22/2007)

By Maria S.

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

My local Shop-Rite sells it in the laundry isle. (03/18/2007)

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I live in NJ and it is available at the local Shop-Rite in the laundry isle. (03/18/2007)

By TerryS

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Everyone the bluing is in safeway! Put this in safeway.Com under search: Mrs. Stewart's (03/27/2007)

By JOSE

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

My child also needs this for a science project to make "Blue Moon Rocks". We have asked several people what it is and also looked at WalMart. We haven't had any luck, either. Now that I am looking on-line, I am finding that it is sold in NY and more northeastern states. We live in SC and are having a hard time finding it. We may end up calling a friend in NY to have it shipped to us. In the meantime, I bought Borax and we will try it to see how it works. I think we may not see as much blue as we would with bluing.

Editor's Note: I find it here in nearly every grocery store. It is usually on the top shelf near the borax and other laundry additives. From looking on line it doesn't seem to be in SC: https://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/wheretofind.htm

But maybe you can find a state near you. Also they have online ordering at the http://www.mrsstewart.com site. (04/15/2007)

By SCbluingsearch

I know where some is!

There is some laundry bluing in Alberson's near Golden Co. If you live there anyway.
(09/26/2007)

By someone

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I need this for growing crystal gardens. Where on earth is it? I looked up on google and the answer was right there...well, to my question. It's the only thing i need. So go to rite aid. (10/08/2007)

By Laura

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

In Florida you can buy it at Sweetbay Supermarkets (formerly Kash N Karry). Let's grow some crystals! (11/02/2007)

By Cellular Residue

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I have also gone to over 15 stores in the Miami, FL area. The store clerks don't even know what it is. And the funny thing is I used to have a lot of bluing balls that my grand ma brought me me from Panama in Central America, because it is used for ringworm. Think I threw them away, but I found this page because I too need it for my sons experiment. <http://www.kilianhardware.com/mrsstewlaunb.html>
Good luck to all. I asked myself every day why did we pick such a hard experiment. ( only because we cant find one ingredient) :)
(11/07/2007)

By Yanni

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Our local Amish stores carry it. (01/06/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

They have it at wal-mart I think. (01/28/2008)

By Chris

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Amazon sells Mrs. Stewart's bluing, and Mrs. Stewart's website has instructions for growing the crystals, as well as an explanation of why they grow. (03/30/2008)

By guest

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

How bluing is used: Back in the day when people wore white cotton shirts,
and stood by an ironing board all day..we used bluing in the rinse cycle of the washer to produce even whiter than white shirts. It works! Can you say "so white it hurts my eyes"? You can buy it for less here:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pr... (06/20/2008)

By Debs