Creamy Wild Rice Soup with Smoked Turkey
8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16-oz.) cans fat free, less sodium chicken broth or 4 cups
- homemade chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped smoked turkey breast (1/2 pound)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrot and next 5 ingredients (carrot through garlic). Sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in turkey and rice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add to pan. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in sherry and salt.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:50:27 AM on 10.0.0.107 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us