My Dog Won't Eat

My dog won't eat. What can I do?

Jack from Brooklyn, New York

Best Answer

Get him or her to the vet.

Dogs are like our kids. They will NOT starve themselves unless there's a medical problem. You need to go to the vet to rule out everything first. Panda (featured on today's home page) can go 2-3 days holding out for people food because I spoil her.

Let us know your outcome.

Keeper and Panda

Sprinkle some grated cheese on the dog food. They seem to like that. I use over left Parmesan or Romano. Either will work. Let me know.

Depends how old he is, if he is lethargic or active and normal and how long it is going on. Try putting little bits of cheese or chicken and chicken broth mixed into the dog food if he is acting normal. If not, you better check with the vet.

I agree with Maryeileen and keeper60. Definitely get your dog off to the vet asap.

Also, when you're at the vet, try to be really specific on when the not eating came about, how much they were eating before then.

We're all creatures and our basic survival is an instinct. The fact that your dog isn't eating means that something is potentially wrong. Like Keeper said, get your little pooch down to the vet and get the whole picture.

Good luck and I hope your doggy starts eating again soon!

Check for constipation! ...Our cat wouldn't eat. The vet said he was constipated. Check to make sure he's going to the bathroom, if not you can give him "Laxatone" or add a tiny bit of "Benefiber" to his food or water for 2 or 3 days. Benefiber has no flavor or texture & is made only of wheat dextrin & is safe for pets. Our cat started eating again once the vet palpated his intestines which made him go in his container on the way home from the vet. We were thrilled when he started eating again!

Dog Won't Eat
Dog Won't Eat
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 30, 2008
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.
Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed
Dog stairs at dog food bowl while woman sits beside him with her hands raised while shrugging her shoulders
Dog Will Only Eat People Food
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start