Carpet Color to Coordinate With a Grey Couch

Frequently you decide to change your carpet after you have already purchased a couch. Finding just the right coordinating color is fun and occasionally frustrating. This is a guide about carpet color to coordinate with a grey couch.

I want to replace my living room carpet and would like to know what color would match a grey sectional couch?

By mhamrick from Youngstown, OH

Best Answer

Because grey is a neutral any color will coordinate with it. The new contemporary combination is beige with grey.

However, I'd probably consider a more cheerful combo because grey can be somber. If you want your carpet to stand out, choose a shade of a color that is deeper in value or intensity than your sofa. If you want the sofa to stand out, it should be the other way around.

Carpet colors I'd consider for a grey sofa are: yellow, red, green, blue, brown or tan, white, orange, lavender or violet, creamy white, or black. Maybe you'll want to concentrate on texture rather than color. If your sofa is ultrasuede, try to choose something rough like one of those grassy rugs. If your sofa is a sturdy rougher type of material, buy a really soft carpet.

Most of all have fun!

Best Answer

Put in a grey or neutral brown or tan carpet that is easy to clean. Than you can top that with a throw rug, pillows, and curtains in your accent colors. That way you can easily change your decor appearance without changing the rug or carpet.

Any color, grey is a neutral! :) You might think of it like this, though: it's a lot easier to recover a couch than it is to replace carpet. If it were me I would choose a neutral carpet and bring in color through wall hangings, pillows, drapes, etc.