What are the Differences Between Standard and Miniature Dachshunds?

What are the differences between standard and mini Dachshunds other than size?

By Jim

According to the info we got from the AKC website (this is where my dog is registered) there are no differences other than size. I don't know if you have one, but several people in our area have bought Miniature Dachshunds that they found online, or at larger flea markets where pets are also sold, and theirs look very little like Dachshunds.

Be sure to check out the AKC website, as they have much good information about many breed types, and even have listings of reputable breeders.

I was fortunate in that when I got ready for mine, we have a very reputable breeder in our area. I did pay more for my pup than some of the others paid for theirs, but I got to see both parents, a few older siblings of my pup, and got a health record, and papers needed for registration.

Best of luck to you. I have had my little Lenard for almost 3 years, and he is a wonderful friend!

Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com and click on All Breeds, then find dachshunds. They say there are three varieties based on hair type and two sizes. They don't list any differences in temperament. This is a great web site for when you are just starting to research a dog breed. Good luck!

AKC will say there are only two sizes of dachshunds; a mini which must be under 10 lbs and a full sized which can be up to 32 lbs. I personally own a 12 lbs dachshund and I as well as most people call them tweenies because they are too heavy to be miniatures but not quite full dachshund size. But appearance wise if breed properly they should look exactly alike. Full size ones chest seem larger but that is only due to size comparisons.

Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundAugust 2, 2010
Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
Raising Girls
Miniature Crochet
Miniature Crochet Tips
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Schnoodle Breed Information and Photos
Schnoodle Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄