Braided/Hooked Rug Instructions

I need instructions for making braided/hooked/Q-hooked rugs.

I've never made any but talked to a woman last weekend who had made lots of them. From what she told me, these instructions sound good. She said she would buy old wool coats from thrift shops to make her rugs. The longer the coat the better, then would tear them into strips then fold them so the torn edges were on the inside. She said it is important that the materials be of similar density for the rug to wear well.

Here are a couple of sites with instructions:

Here is a site with supplies and books:

Anyone with actual experience braiding rugs, please jump in.

Looking for material stripper to prep for rag rug weaving or braided. Also do you have the large clips (like the bias tool found in sewing stores) for weaving or braiding. My Dad taught me to make rugs this way made from old coats. They are heavy material and need turning in to give a smoother rag rug. He purchased his from Knott's Berry Farm years ago. Thanks annie

My grandmother had a friend who made wool braided rugs. Somehow she braided them, without having to sew the braids together. Do you know where I could get instructions for that type of braiding? I guess they wear longer and never come apart.

I realise the last post here has been a couple of years but I know what type of rugs you're talking about!!! You are referring to TWINING, also called Indian Tie Weave. I have been making these rugs for over a year and am obsessed (!) with it. I make rectangular and oval rugs. It is so simple and can cost literally nothing. I'm Dianne at drehman @ in Colorado.

Crafts MiscellaneousJuly 3, 2003
Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Plastic Bag Rug
Making a Rug from Plastic Bags
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Rug Hooking Craft
Making Rug Hooking Crafts