Cleaning Sticky Scissors

How do you remove sticky residue from scissor blades?

By pklaz96 from Phoenix, AZ

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By OliveOyl 05/19/2009

Try nail polish remover on a cotton ball. Rubbing alcohol is good too. GooGone is a good product as well, and WD-40.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lee 38 145 05/19/2009

I am with OliveOyl when she recommends Goo Gone. I absolutely love that stuff. You can find it at the Dollar Tree and I load up the tip of a Q-tip(Dollar Tree brand) so as NOT to waste it. I use the Q-tip to work on the sticky stuff and if I don't use both ends, pop it in two pieces and save the unused portion for the next time you need one. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cyinda 214 1,287 05/19/2009

Depends on what it is. Rubbing Alcohol & Fingernail Polish Remover work wonders, but for the stubborn goo, you'll most likely need Goo Gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By KL 3 554 05/20/2009

Ditto on the previous suggestions. If you don't have rubbing alcohol sometimes hair spray will work in a pinch. Also sometimes cooking oil (veg, canola, etc) on a cotton ball will work but sometimes takes a little longer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Diane 3 17 05/24/2009

Peanut butter. An appliance salesmen told me about peanut butter 15 years ago. Rub peanut butter on leave it for a few minutes and them rub off and wash and dry. I but the cheapest I can find in a small jar. It lasts forever. I would only use the on hard surfaces, use your judgment, try a small test are first. I have used it to remove sticky double tape, maks left on my fiber glass showers etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By JSRS443 28 14 05/26/2009

One of the best ways to clean them is to use WD-40.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Solutions: Cleaning Sticky Scissors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Gunk from Scissors Blades

After using my heavy shears to cut duct tape, the blades were all sticky with the glue. It suddenly occurred to me that hand sanitizer gel (the high alcohol content stuff) might just cut through the crud if rubbed with a paper towel or old washcloth. Sure enough, the blades came clean, and were germ-free to boot! I've also used liquid isopropyl alcohol to remove crud from the hinges of a pocket knife after someone "borrowed" it to cut messy foods. That worked too. The individually packaged wound wipes will also cut through most gunk.

By Eileen from Elk Grove, CA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!