Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Sticky Scissors

How do you remove sticky residue from scissor blades?

By pklaz96 from Phoenix, AZ

By JSRS443 [12]05/26/2009

One of the best ways to clean them is to use WD-40.

By Diane [3]05/24/2009

Peanut butter. An appliance salesmen told me about peanut butter 15 years ago. Rub peanut butter on leave it for a few minutes and them rub off and wash and dry. I but the cheapest I can find in a small jar. It lasts forever. I would only use the on hard surfaces, use your judgment, try a small test are first. I have used it to remove sticky double tape, maks left on my fiber glass showers etc.

By KL [3]05/20/2009

Ditto on the previous suggestions. If you don't have rubbing alcohol sometimes hair spray will work in a pinch. Also sometimes cooking oil (veg, canola, etc) on a cotton ball will work but sometimes takes a little longer.

By Cyinda [214]05/19/2009

Depends on what it is. Rubbing Alcohol & Fingernail Polish Remover work wonders, but for the stubborn goo, you'll most likely need Goo Gone.

By Lee [22]05/19/2009

I am with OliveOyl when she recommends Goo Gone. I absolutely love that stuff. You can find it at the Dollar Tree and I load up the tip of a Q-tip(Dollar Tree brand) so as NOT to waste it. I use the Q-tip to work on the sticky stuff and if I don't use both ends, pop it in two pieces and save the unused portion for the next time you need one. Hope this helps.

By OliveOyl05/19/2009

Try nail polish remover on a cotton ball. Rubbing alcohol is good too. GooGone is a good product as well, and WD-40.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Gunk from Scissors Blades

After using my heavy shears to cut duct tape, the blades were all sticky with the glue. It suddenly occurred to me that hand sanitizer gel (the high alcohol content stuff) might just cut through the crud if rubbed with a paper towel or old washcloth. Sure enough, the blades came clean, and were germ-free to boot! I've also used liquid isopropyl alcohol to remove crud from the hinges of a pocket knife after someone "borrowed" it to cut messy foods. That worked too. The individually packaged wound wipes will also cut through most gunk.

By Eileen from Elk Grove, CA

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!