Removing ChapStick from Fabric

My granddaughter smeared red ChapStick over a large area of my ivory colored bed quilt. How do I remove this without damaging my quilt?

By Pat from Baltimore, MD

Best Answer

OMG! I knew I was keeping an old email (2004) for a reason! My younger son washed and dried a load of his laundry with his chapstick in a pocket, so I

contacted their company and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chap Stick® Lip Moisturizer. We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate staining incident with this product. Listed below are some suggestions regarding stain removal. A local commercial dry cleaner may be able to offer you additional suggestions based on the fabric type of the garments. Before using any of the following suggestions, we recommend testing the fabric in a small, inconspicuous area.

We have found that Chap Stick stains can usually be removed by washing the individual spots using a standard degreasing agent such as waterless hand cleaner, toluene (found at hardware stores), or lighter fluid. When doing this, place a paper towel or an absorbent material underneath to absorb the stain and prevent it from bleeding to the other side of the garment. After doing this, spray with Wisk and rub or dab the stain continuously for five minutes and then rinse with hot water. Repeat if necessary.

Another alternative would be to use white blotting paper and press with a warm iron, changing the paper as needed. Pour hot water through the stain, allow to dry and then flush with Afta or Carbona Cleaning Fluid. These items should be available at your local grocery or retail stores. We hope these suggestions will be useful to you. Good luck to you on this!

Hand sanitizer gel removes black eyelash dye stain on cream curtains! I am sure it would make short work of a chap stick stain! In the UK I buy my travel size for 47p in the supermarket. Good luck, Monique :)

If the above doesn't work. Relax it is just a quilt. And the stains will serve as a reminder of how lucky you are to have a granddaughter. "Things" don't matter, people do. GG Vi