Help Cleaning Soap Scum out of Washing Machine

I have a fairly new washing machine. The white plastic agitator and fabric softener dispenser are getting caked with soap scum. HELP! How can I get this goop off?

Sue A

Best Answer

Fill them both with vinegar and let it sit for a while. Then run an empty load (or throw in some rags or old towels.) It should dissolve the soap scum.

I always add half water to the fabric softener, that way not only will it prevent the buildup but it will also save you money

You can try adding borax to your wash cycle.

hi all i have a different problem

i think a screw or a coin may be trapped inbetween my drum and outer shell as when the washing machine is on spin it is an incredible scraping sound

when i spin the drum by hand it does the same i had my brother look inside the top and he says everything looks attached help what do i do my warranty is over i am from uk so if anyone can tell me how much this is gonna cost me please let me know or if anyone knows what else it could be its a boch wfb2004 make PLEASE HELP i have washing up to the roof and i am frightened to use it in case i totally ruin it??????? love and hugs lisa

Hi Lisa,

We posted this as a Reader's Request:

http://www.thri  f646765.tip.html

Run it through it's cycle without any clothes and add a box of epsom salts. This will not ony remove scum from the inside of the machine but also the hoses.

Wow this is awesome all my problems answered right here. Thanks very much. I'll get some epsome salt today. I also will use half water in my fabric softner I can save more money. :)

I used the epsom salt and it did nothing. I had to clean it with dish soap and a sponge. I used the entire box.

If you don't have good luck with vinegar, ammonia or bleach (be very careful not to mix them) there is a cleaner called purewasher that is only sold at smellywasher.com / This cleaner will clean inside your washer and remove mildew or musty smell from towels and clothes. All you'll need is one tablespoon.