Water Heater Trips and/or Heats Up Breaker

Yesterday while my water heater was on the main breaker tripped. The water heater is being supplied off a 30 amp breaker on the main breaker. When I examined the main breaker it was burnt.

I replaced it and the next day while the water heater was on again the main breaker tripped. The breaker felt warm. I am not to sure why the water heater breaker (30 amp) didn't trip first. Could a faulty water heater or wiring be causing the main breaker to trip and not the water heater breaker?

By Evans

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Call an electrician before you have a fire. Something is shorting out.

May 15, 2011 Flag

I have an old water heater. The tank is solid stainless steel, with no leaking. We have replaced the heating elements (because of the age we could not get the exact factory elements.)

It heated the water and then it tripped the breaker. We thought maybe the thermostat was not working, so we changed that out. It still trips the breaker, so maybe the breaker was old and worn out (six years old). I replaced the breaker (only the water heater is on this breaker) only to have it tripped again. Any ideas?

If I have to call a professional, do I call a electrician or a plumber? A nice man that takes care of apartments said the water heater is good and to save it, with a stainless steel tank it should last with some TLC.

By Sherry from SomewhereinMI, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like you've got an electrical short somewhere. I'd call an electrician first.

Maybe it's because you couldn't get the proper element. The substitute you are using may be drawing more electricity than the original did.

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalNovember 1, 2010
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:31:59 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.