Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Canned Salmon

I'm needing recipes using canned salmon. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Terri from NV

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By CLH IN ATLANTA (Guest Post)07/11/2007

My aunt used to make salmon salad out of canned salmon. You know it is already cooked. You can leave in or take out the extra skin, bones, but mix with a little mayo, breaking up the pieces, and she used to chop a red delicious apple with the skin left on, and mix into the salad. You would be surprised how sweet the apple tastes along side the salmon and how the red color of the apple is pleasing. You can add celery or anything else you like, but try this sometime. It is good in the summer when its is hot and you don't want to cook.

By Adele (Guest Post)04/25/2007

Here is an easier one if you have a computer go to the website allrecipes.com and put in salmon patties and it will give you a bunch even ones that say use can or bagged salmon. Good Luck!

By junkmail2me04/25/2007

I have used boxed stuffing mix (chicken or turkey, not cornbread) with an egg and warm water - the amount called for on the box, to mix with my canned sallmon patties. My family loves them and we even eat the leftovers for breakfast the next day. By the way, my mom told me not to remove the bones. Just crush them and mix in with the above recipe for added calcium in the diet.

By maryjane04/24/2007

Salmon Stew

Serving Size: 8 to 10
Preparation Time: about 30 minutes

8 average sized potatoes
1 large onion
1/4 cup of butter
1 Tbs. salt
pepper to taste
2 cans of salmon (cleaned)
1 can evaporated milk (Pet brand)
1 cup ketchup (optional)
Tabasco sauce to taste (optional)
Fat free saltines or oyster crackers

Preparation:
Peel and dice potatoes and onions. In 8 quart pot fill to half with water add salt, pepper, butter, potatoes and onions. Boil for about 25 minutes stirring some, turn off heat and add salmon, ketchup, Tabasco and milk last, stirring to blend. Get out your favorite bowl, add crackers and stew, eat.

*Variations:
~my mom lightly sauteed the salmon & chopped onion in a bit of butter before adding them to the stew pot.
~you can omit the ketchup & tabasco entirely, and the potatoes too if you like. personally, i prefer it without the ketchup.

By Margie Minard (Guest Post)04/24/2007

Just debone and get out the silvery skin and to a regular can of salmon add an egg, small onion, minced and a bit of minced celery with enough crushed saltines to bind...I would say 8 or 10. Fry carefully to a golden brown. Serve with a simple tartar sauce of mayonaise, minced onion and a little pickle relish. We usually have boiled potaotes with parsley or chive butter and a green salad. One of our favorite meals ever!!

By sandy [63]04/24/2007

i love to make salmon scramble. 1 can of salmon, 2 or 3 eggs depending on what you like. old bay seasoning again to taste. saute a pepper and an onion and a celery stalk and add the debonded salmon and the eggs. swish it all around. ummm it is so good. you can also put it in over a bit and get it all hot.

By Mary Lou [14]04/24/2007

This is one of my favourite meal: Salmon Loaf and Scalloped potatoes. They cook at the same temp so it is just a matter of timing each. All together the meal takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes:
SAVOURY SALMON LOAF
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs or craker crumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 lb(large) can of salmon, with broth, flaked OR 2 small cans.
Dash pepper
1/2 tsp sage
2 tsp finely chopped onion or same amount dried onion flakes
1 tbsp finely chopped celery OR dried chopped parsley OR celery seed to taste.
Combine all ingredients in order given. Paked firmly into a greased loaf pan or casserole and bake at 350*F for 30-40 minutes
SCALLOPED POTATOES
4 large or 6 medium potates, peeled if old, scrubbed and skin on if new.
1/2 small onion, sliced thinly into rings
INSTANT BLEND FLOUR
BUTTER OR MARG
MILK
Lightly grease a casserole dish, one with a lid.
Thinly slice potatoes, layering with onion rings
Sprinkle generously with flour and salt and pepper to taste
Dot with butter or marg.
Repeat this layering 3 more times, dividing onion and potato slices accordingly. Finish with flour, salt and pepper and dotted with marg.
Pouring from one side or corner of the casserole and watching the opposite side, add milk until you can see milk on the other side or corner. Cover.
Bake in preheated 350*F oven for 1 hour. Remove the lid from the casserole and bake for a further 15 minutes to brown the top and edges.
To cook salmon loaf and scalloped potatoes together, do the following:
Place potatoes in the preheated 350* oven for 35 minutes.
After that time, slide in the salmon loaf for 25 minutes.
Remove the lid from the potatoes after that time and cook both for another 15 minutes.

RE: Recipes Using Canned Salmon

By Diana MI (Guest Post)04/24/2007

I just wanted to add to the Salmon patties, my grandmother always used left over mashed potatoes in her patties, it is a great way to use left overs and very delicious.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes Using Canned Salmon

Anyone have recipes for making tasty fish-balls or a fish meal from canned (not fresh) salmon?

Thanks,
YT in London

RE: Recipes Using Canned Salmon

My mother makes the most amazing and delicious salmon patties on the planet! She uses canned sockeye, one or two eggs (depending on the size of the can: 2 for a 15 ounce can,) thoroughly chopped parsley and scallions (I love onions, so I probably go overboard,) lemon juice and bread crumbs. She recently started using Japanese bread-crumbs called Panko bread-crumbs, and they are available at Whole Foods Markets, and probably at Asian food stores. I used regular bread crumbs until she sent these Japanese ones to me. Mix everything together and form into patties. Fry in ordinary vegetable oil until they are just barely browned. To finish cooking them, place on cookie sheet and cook in preheated low oven (maybe 300 degrees for a few minutes -- until done. Use toothpick to check.) They are quick, easy and delicious! Use fresh parsley; it makes a huge difference! Bon apetit! (03/18/2005)

By skbeal

Salmon Patties

• 2 (15 oz) cans Pink salmon
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 8 saltine crackers, crushed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/8 cup canola oil
In medium mixing bowl combine salmon, onion, egg, crackers salt, pepper, and celery. Mix well. Make patties out of salmon and roll in cornmeal. In large frying pan over medium high heat oil for frying. Place salmon patties in oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain well. Serve warm

These are delicious I make them for my family all the time and they love them. (03/18/2005)

By Adele

Salmon Loaf

• 16 oz. can salmon
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 T. onions, chopped
  • 1 c. cracker crumbs
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. dill (opt)
  • Salt and pepper
Flake salmon. Beat eggs and milk together. Combine all ingredients. Place in greased loaf pan and bake 1 hour at 350. (03/18/2005)

By klawrence34

Salmon Cakes

I love making these salmon cakes, I even use the jack mackerel sometimes. But, guess what? I hate the smell of fish in the house. Even tho' i pretty much follow the above suggested recipes, I always put on a pot of homemade potpourri while the fish is cooking to keep out that fishy smell. Use a small pot, add cinnamon, vanilla flavoring, ginger, cut an orange in half, and add some cloves in the water, and just let it simmer. Your house will smell like it's thanksgiving or christmas. And no fishy smell. I even taught my son how to do a fried fish with grits breakfast. Showed him how to do the potpourri while frying the fish. He said it was like taking " home Ec". The only difference, when I was taking Home Ec... They sure didn't teach us that trick. Oh, and when I'm feeling too lazy to stand over the stove and fry the salmon cakes, nothing beats baking them in the oven. Nothing! (03/18/2005)

By PATRICA

RE: Recipes Using Canned Salmon

Al la king -- de-bone and skin canned salmon. Heat in skillet with 2 tablespoons margarine or oil until heated through. Add 1 cup low-fat or skim milk mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and bring liquid to a boil. After one minute, reduce to simmer. Add 2 cups cooked peas or peas & carrots. Salt and pepper to taste. (I add a teaspoon of dill -- optional.)

Serve over toast or rice. Makes 3-4 servings. (03/21/2005)

By gannon

Fish Pie

I invent a lot of meals containing tinned salmon as I love it. One I make a lot is a type of fish pie. There are no proportions as I just throw in what I feel like.

Make a savory sauce with butter, flour, (I use stone-ground whole-meal), and milk and season with vegetable spice powder rather than salt, and ground pepper. Toss in the salmon, I don't bother removing the skin, (very tasty), or bones, (good source of calcium). You can add herbs to taste if you want. Add some sautéed veggies - onions, peas and corn are good, or zucchini, (courgette), cucumber, red capsicums, snow peas, (mange tout) - whatever you fancy.

Place in a deepish dish or it may bubble over when cooking. Top with creamed mashed potato. Make up some sage and onion stuffing with water - but mix it on the dry side - and sprinkle a layer on top. I substitute stuffing mix for bread-crumbs in a lot of recipes - very tasty. The meal is basically already cooked but pop it in a hot oven for 15 minutes to brown/crisp on top.

You can also just use the salmon and veg mixture over noodles, rice or cous cous. I cook for one and make 2 or 3 dishes up at a time then separate them into individual portions and freeze for quick microwave meals. (04/04/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Salmon Patties

My salmon patties are so lazy... equal parts fish (any kind) and spuds. Bind with an egg. Salt and pepper to taste and some flavorings. A little sweet chili sauce and coriander is nice. Or even use parsley. I just throw in different things each time. You can crumb them as well but they are nice plain. I always have them with a nice big green salad. (04/20/2005)

By Sonya_82

Salmon Pie

I like salmon patties, but when I moved to the UP I learned a new recipe. Salmon Pie: Just take a pie shell or make your own pie crust. First you need to boil some potatoes till they are soft. Drain the potatoes then mash them just a little not all the way so there is some pieces, add some onion, salt and pepper, and some drained canned salmon. Mix it together put it in the pie shell put pie crust on the top with some slits in it so the heat can escape. Bake till the pie crust is done. We eat it with catsup on it. It's good and it stretches one can of salmon and the potatoes makes 2 pies... and it's very filling. (03/03/2007)

By crystal