How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Whether you are looking for a cleaner or starting your own business, determining the average cleaning rates is a main consideration. This is a guide about how much does house cleaning cost.

Someone mopping a floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 20, 2016 Flag

I need information on rates to pay an hour for light house work. I am temporarily restricted due to shoulder and need help. I offered to pay my friend's 20 year old daughter to help me 2 to 3 hrs a day, 1 or 2 days a week. She would do dishes, sweep kitchen, take out trash, wipe off the table, and straighten up the living area. It's only a small single floor home with 2 bed rooms, a bath, kitchen and living room. It's only light cleaning, just to keep my head above ground. What would be a fair price? I'm on a budget, live in a small east coast town, and am doing this out of necessity. I don't want to offend anyone because we're good friends. Her mom worked for a local company and got paid $20 per hour.
Thank you.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why not think about your budget and decide what you can afford then ask the young lady what she thinks would be fair? Surely the two of you could negotiate and come to an agreement? You might also want to make a few calls to cleaning companies in your area to see what others are charging / paying.

I pay my younger lady friend $10 an hour 8 hours a month or 4 hours every two weeks. It is worth it to me as I have 1216 square foot of linoleum flooring to mop and clean. She comes twice a month 4 hours each time.

July 9, 2015 Flag

I have been staying with my friend and her family since the beginning of June. Mind you I am normally not home and when I was I would be cleaning. I vacuumed twice a day every day I was there. I did a detail cleaning of both master and hall bathrooms. I cleaned 2 of the bedrooms, one of which took me 2 hours to clean. I did the dishes once or twice a week, even though I never ate or used any dishes. I did quite a few loads of their laundry. I also dusted the whole house everyday. And now they have kicked me out and refuse to pay, even after agreeing to pay for everything I did. I was there for 23 days, what should I charge for everything I did?

I paid $450 a month. Included the room water and electric. But was kicked out before I was there a full month.

Something is missing here-you paid $450 to stay 1 month (or more?) and you expect someone to pay you for the cleaning, etc.?

Was there a written agreement for anything?

Did you agree to provide specific cleaning services and also paid $450 before you moved in?

Did you actually volunteer cleaning but now expect them to pay for your services because they kicked you out?

Why did they kick you out?

Read More Answers...

May 1, 2012 Flag

I clean a 3 bedroom house with kitchen, living room, den, game room, and 2 bathrooms. I mop, sweep, vacuum, do lots of dusting, wash some clothes, and whatever dishes are in sink wash by hand.

I've been charging the same price for about 5 years; once a month for $150. She now wants it twice a month for less since she feels it will be less dirty, however, she has 2 hairy cats and a dog inside which of course shed a lot so I have to sweep and vacuum all floors before moping.

The home is about a 12 mile drive round trip. She calls me last minute lots of times so I am very convenient for her and trustworthy. I was getting ready to ask for $25 more, but don't want to be over charging if its not fair price.

By lmr

I'm in Kansas (KC Suburb). I have a cleaning company (bonded) clean my house. Around here bonded companies/individuals charge more than those not bonded. I am charged per room for about 3.5 hours & 2 cleaners (no oven, fridge or clothes washing included).

I pay more for them to come weekly or bi-weekly than monthly. If they come bi-weekly there are scrubbing my floors each time then it takes longer than scrubbing it once a month. They also figure their rate based on the number of adults/kids living in the home. The cleaners here make just over minimum wage & use the companies supplies. The company gets the rest. Hiring an individual here cost less.

You need to make a living. Check Craigslist for what others charge. Call other companies & get prices.

Cleaning jobs are constant and a lot of hard work but you should not take a pay cut and then double your work load.

I run a small cleaning business. If you are only cleaning her house once or even twice a month and you don't know how much to charge your client, there are various ways to do it, say it and even share it.

I will not recommend any comforting words that will make you happy and contented but what I can say is check this link, http://www.greenaircleaningnyc.com/ ... cleaning-service-costs-and-pricing/.

I believe it will help you in many ways that you can never imagine.

Read More Answers...

October 18, 2012 Flag

I am doing a one time cleaning for a friend that has a one bedroom, one bath home, with kitchen, living room, and dining room. My friend is about to move in, but wants it totally cleaned and mopped. I supply the cleaning supplies and it's about a 30-45minute drive to their house. So what do I charge?

By BW from Liberty, TX

Hi - this may be a big job or it could be a breeze. Tell your friend that you will only charge a reasonable amount but have to see it for yourself before deciding.

Take a camera and take good photos of everything - before and after.

Keep accurate time of when you are traveling and working.

Cost of travel should also be included.

If this is not something you regularly do then you should over estimate the time you think it will take.

The smart thing to do is try to get an estimate from a regular cleaning service and then go from there.

Good luck.

Hi - just wanted to add a comment. It would be very difficult for someone from another part of the US to give you a very good estimate of how much to charge per hour because the cost of living is so different.

Some of Florida's cost of living will not compare in any way with other parts of the country.

I still suggest you try to get an estimate or look in your directory and call some of your local cleaning services and give them the info you have and see what they tell you they would charge you to do this service.

It will also give you a good idea of what they charge extra for and also what they will not do. Good luck

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2013 Flag

I am interested in getting established as a self employed residential housecleaner. At the moment, I clean my mother's house, but I do not charge my mother because, after all, she is my mother. When cleaning my house, as well as my mother's, I always start from the ceilings in every room and give each room a complete and 100% cleaning! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and am no stranger to hard work. My plan is to offer a flxed rate for initial cleanings and a fixed rate for cleaning a house once the initial cleaning is achieved. I reside in Louisiana and have my own transportation as well as a my own cleaning supplies and equipment. Please help me to decide what I should charge for initial cleanings as well as recurring cleanings.

By Merry M

I've been cleaning houses on and off for many years now and recently started my own business. I'm hearing that housecleaners are quoting an hourly price which you should never do because you have too much overhead to cover. After travel time (gas), products used, and what little you have left over is what you actually are paid for labor. You should price by the square footage of the house, but only after you have physically seen the house. Cleaning houses is a lot of work and you can make decent money but you have to clean properly with top products and be consistent with every clean.

Some customers want blinds cleaned, that would be extra, vacuuming furniture (removal of cushions) - extra, inside stove, that is also additional charge. This will all make sense once you have got your feet wet a little in the business. I work my butt off, never cut corners, and my customers are always thrilled with the results and that is how you get more customers when they refer you to their friends. Hope that helps you a little!

Oh yeah and reoccurring customers, I give them a little discount if they are weekly/biweekly, due to the fact that is for sure money coming in. It's like a thank you for choosing me and you are hooking them up with a lesser charge but you can count on that money. I would go like $10 off. This is just my opinion granted but I am surely not going to work for $8 an hour. Check this out:

3 hour clean at $15.00 an hour= $45.00

Minus Gas $ 7.00

Product Used $10.00

That leaves you with $28 divide that by 3 hours labor and you are working for $7 an hour, busting your butt. I never go by hourly rate as you can see you will get nowhere.

May 7, 2012 Flag

My friend just bought his first home in the same city l live in and me being a stay home mom, l decided to clean their house before they move in. (For some cash.) I saw the house is a 2 story home and is very dirty. l have not ever cleaned someone else's home, but l know the time and work required. How much should I charge for cleaning a new empty home with 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, including lots of windows. I will also be cleaning walls and a cabin.

By Miriam

I would call a cleaning company in your area. If you don't have one in the area I am sure you can go online & find one. Then charge a little less an hour than they do. Also check in your local paper under Help Offers. I am sure you will be able to get an idea of what they charge in your area.

I have cleaned houses for many years. For a move in/move out cleaning you need to double the number of hours you would usually need to clean the house. Add an hour because you are unfamiliar with the house.

Most houses that size take 5 to 5.5 hours to clean. Because it is super dirty you should add 3 or 4 extra hours. Time for washing walls would be approximately 5 to 6 hours. So you are looking at about 15 hours for just the house. Most people cannot clean more than 5 hours in a day because it is so strenuous.

High cost of living areas charge $30 an hour. Low cost of living areas can charge between $5 and $10 and hour. It just depends on where you live. If I were you I would go on an hourly basis. It is impossible to bid the job with so many variables.

Let your friend know approximately how much time will be required. People can be really dense about that sort of thing, and you don't want to damage a friendship. I would allow 4 to 5 days for this job. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2013 Flag

What is the cost per hour for cleaning a house and doing the laundry?

By Sara B

I pay $12/hr in Seattle.

I cleaned house for many years. I charged $30 and hour at the time I retired. This is a high cost of living, high income area. I was well known and had more work than I could take. Your reputation will be what allows you to raise your rates. In lower income areas the rate can be as low as $10 an hour. Keep in mind that the nature of the work only allows you to work for about 5 hours a day. It is a very concentrated workout. I never worked more than 4 days a week.

May 8, 2014 Flag

I am located in Chicago, Illinois, doing garden maintenance and would also like to offer common area cleaning. I want to know what a good price is for the following 6 unit building common areas: front stairs and back decks, foyer area and glass of doors, sweep all walk ways and laundry room cleanup. Estimate about 2-3hrs total for all areas. I would like to offer a once-a-week service to match up with the garden care as I'll be on-site anyway.

Thanks!

PJ

By Pat L.

I am composing this because am interesting in learning about "cleaning prices" although I am not qualified. I want you people to teach me.

January 11, 2007 Flag

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house? And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge. Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
      Kim from Howell

I charge anywhere from $50 to $100. If you are in MI and if interested please let me know.

Ive been in business for several months now and find that it's best to give an estimate based on how long it will take you to clean. Some customers feel I charge too much and others are elated. I don't charge a higher first time fee as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks unless it's the oven or refrigerator.

It seems nit picky to have to add 5+ dollars for some additional task the client may ask about. Try and figure some of those things into your initial quote. That way, you're coming off with a much stronger sense of customer service. The customer also knows that they're getting their money's worth. I charge $20.00 per hour and live in the Midwest.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2014 Flag

I want to know if I have someone come clean my house, how much does it cost to clean one time or weekly? And how much for my office building everyday or every other day. I just want a good price with good service.

By Francesca

Hi, my prices for basic cleaning are: 1 bedroom - $65,

2 bedroom - $75,

3 bedroom- $85 and so on...

Fridge +$20

Stove + 20

Laundry + 25

For estimating the office I need to see it...

I'm located in Central New Jersey, my number is 609 858 1718. If you interesting please call me...

September 11, 2013 Flag

I am looking into getting someone to clean my home 2 times a month. I live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath trailer. I have a 2 year old little girl and am expecting another this spring. I'd only need them to clean our living room, kitchen, bathroom, and small hallway. The job would consist of vacuuming, sweeping, dusting and polishing end tables/coffee table, wipe down countertops, toilet, and tub. The job may also include a few dishes here and there if there are some. I will have all supplies they'll need, including gloves. My question is what's a fair pay for them? Id like to be sure I'm paying them as they should be. Also I live in the New Mexico area. There are no pets.

By Ashley S. from New Mexico

I would pay them by the hour. $20/hr or a minimum of $15/hr as long as they are thorough. Good luck!

May 22, 2012 Flag

I am new in the cleaning business. I got a job for a 5 bedroom duplex, each room has 1 toilet and bath. Please help me, I don't know how to prepare the quotes for this job. Thanks.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Load More
      Business and Legal BusinessFebruary 1, 2013
      Smooth Top Stove
      Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
      Toothbrushes in Holder
      Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
      A dog being check out by a veterinarian.
      Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic
      Satelite dish against a tree in background.
      Saving Money on DirectTV
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 12:06:03 PM on 10.0.0.32 in 675 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.