How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Category Business
Someone mopping a floor.
Whether you are looking for a cleaner or starting your own business, determining the average cleaning rates is a main consideration. This is a guide about how much does house cleaning cost.

I clean a 3 bedroom house with kitchen, living room, den, game room, and 2 bathrooms. I mop, sweep, vacuum, do lots of dusting, wash some clothes, and whatever dishes are in sink wash by hand.

I've been charging the same price for about 5 years; once a month for $150. She now wants it twice a month for less since she feels it will be less dirty, however, she has 2 hairy cats and a dog inside which of course shed a lot so I have to sweep and vacuum all floors before moping.

The home is about a 12 mile drive round trip. She calls me last minute lots of times so I am very convenient for her and trustworthy. I was getting ready to ask for $25 more, but don't want to be over charging if its not fair price.

By lmr

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

If you are doing the exact same cleaning twice a month and it takes you the same amount of time, you should ask for more. Or start charging for last minutes cleaning calls. If your customer can't stick to a schedule then she should have to pay for last minute requests. Your time is valuable and you deserve to be treated in a professional manner. Your customer's should not take advantage of you.

I would charge her the $175 you were planning on and tell her that is the price per visit. She may tell you she will find someone else, but for what you are doing, she won't find anyone. Don't let her take advantage of your good nature...that's what the request for a lower price is. This is business, not friendship.

You can certainly justify raising your rate to $175 - you've kept your price at the same level for 5 years while costs of supplies have gone up, you accommodate her last-minute requests, etc. If your client wants her house cleaned twice a month, you would still be doing the same cleanup. Dust and dog/cat hair still accumulate, whether 2 weeks or 4 weeks go by!

You have proven your professionalism by being trustworthy and available at a moment's notice (unlike others who might not do so). Your client should honor these wonderful traits!

$150.00 is a lot of $ unless you are cleaning the oven & fridge too. Dusting & sweeping is not hard work at all.

I would be happy to have you come to my house to clean everything in it for $150.00.....and that would include the oven and fridge.

I am 68 and would gladly take a job that pays that much for half a day's work with no taxes paid!

In my own experience, cleaning twice a month does take less time than once a month. But not much... 20 to 30 minutes at best. The going rate for cleaning by the hour runs from $10 to $35 depending on where you live. Here in the PNW I charged $30 an hour. the cost of living here is high...similar to NY and LA. Perhaps if you explained your rates based on an hourly charge your client would understand better. If you then gave her a small reduction (say $10) off your new rate of $175 she would think she was getting good deal.

You do not say how long it takes you to do this cleaning, nor what the going rates are for cleaning or other work in your area. That makes a difference. Certainly no one would pay $30 an hour for housecleaning where I live.

That being said, if you haven't raised your prices in 5 years, it may be time for an increase, and I do know that many people in rural areas charge a mileage fee because of the cost of gas. I also think that the fact that you come just whenever and not on any sort of regular schedule makes you more valuable. And I think the same number of hours requires the same rate of pay.

I pay my housekeeper by the room for cleaning as she does not do the whole house all the time (guest bedrooms, sewing/office/music practice area almost never etc) It works out to about $30-$35/hr.

She does not do refrigerators, ovens, laundry, or windows. When she started, she charged a one time higher rate to get things in order. After that it was a flat fee. I am very satisfied with her work and her reliability. I give her a nice bonus at Christmas, too.

I provide all cleaning materials (although she occasionally brings something in) as she realizes that some customers have allergies or preferences. If you want to work for her 2 days/month, I think she should pay the same rate for each day - whatever it is you work out.

I also run a small cleaning business and contrary to what some have said it is very hard work when done correctly. If you are only cleaning her house once or even twice a month I hate to think of the amount of pet hair and dirt everywhere.

This sounds like a large home and I highly doubt it will take you any less time to clean it a second time considering the pets and the fact that you do laundry and dishes. These jobs are a constant, as are bathrooms and floors, it is possible, though not probable that the dusting will be less, but you should not take a pay cut and then double your work load.

I recommend you raise your rates as you first thought, that is already a significant price break. If she questions this, ask her if she would be willing to work 80 hours a week for the same amount that she makes now working only 40 hours. She is paying for your time, labor, and expertise. Don't be afraid to charge accordingly.

Sounds to me like this lady is trying to take advantage of you and wants to get all she can out of you. You give in and later down the road it will only be something else. My guess is she doesn't want to loose you. You haven't gone up in 5 years and she can depend on you showing up on a moments notice.

I think sometimes people who clean are considered a lower class by the people they clean for. I cleaned for awhile and people will take advantage if you let them. If the work were easy they would be doing it themselves.

I'm in Kansas (KC Suburb). I have a cleaning company (bonded) clean my house. Around here bonded companies/individuals charge more than those not bonded. I am charged per room for about 3.5 hours & 2 cleaners (no oven, fridge or clothes washing included).

I pay more for them to come weekly or bi-weekly than monthly. If they come bi-weekly there are scrubbing my floors each time then it takes longer than scrubbing it once a month. They also figure their rate based on the number of adults/kids living in the home. The cleaners here make just over minimum wage & use the companies supplies. The company gets the rest. Hiring an individual here cost less.

You need to make a living. Check Craigslist for what others charge. Call other companies & get prices.

I need information on rates to pay an hour for light house work. I am temporarily restricted due to shoulder and need help. I offered to pay my friend's 20 year old daughter to help me 2 to 3 hrs a day, 1 or 2 days a week. She would do dishes, sweep kitchen, take out trash, wipe off the table, and straighten up the living area. It's only a small single floor home with 2 bed rooms, a bath, kitchen and living room. It's only light cleaning, just to keep my head above ground. What would be a fair price? I'm on a budget, live in a small east coast town, and am doing this out of necessity. I don't want to offend anyone because we're good friends. Her mom worked for a local company and got paid $20 per hour.
Thank you.

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house? And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge. Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

Answers

Hi Kim from Howell

I am looking for a cleaning lady once a month and I can only afford to pay $80.00. It is a 4 bedrooms and I generally always keep it tidy. If you are interested I live in Hightstown. Please respond to this post. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have had the same cleaning lady for 4 years. She charges by the job-not hourly and I pay $100 bi-weekly (my previous cleaner was $65/cleaning). I live in the NE and have about a 2500 sq ft house. She spends approx. 5 hrs. cleaning 4 brms (3 used), 2 and 2 (1/2) baths, lr, dr, kitch., fr, a sm. office, and a finished bsmt. She dusts, vac, wipes the counters, cleans the baths, mops the flrs. I keep the house tidy, put things away, and make sure nothing is on the floors so she is able to come in and get right to work. Due to the economy, I was contemplating reducing her to once/month. I feel horrible because she is trustworthy and I realize she has a family to care for too. After the last cleaning she asked for a raise! She hasn't raised her prices since she started and regardless if she deserves it, Idont think I can afford her anymore.

I used to have a house cleaning business, and I would like to respond to one of the posters who had her house cleaned in 4 hours for $100. At the end of the post she mentions that the woman that cleaned it "had one other person with her", so in fact, it took 8 man-hours to clean, and they each made $12.50 an hour if they split the money 50/50, which is pitiful. Housecleaning is hard work! I used to charge $25 an hour, in the Central Ohio area. Once the house was "caught up", it would take me about 3½ hours to clean a 4 bedroom, 3½ bath home top to bottom. But... if a house had never been professionally cleaned before, the initial cleaning could take as long as 8 hours, and even then I may not have got it all! People do not realize how much crud there is to cut through! I could go on & on about bathrooms, let alone shower doors/floors. Please keep this in mind when hiring someone to clean your home!

I've owned my cleaning biz for 12 years. I charge 30$ and hour. It doesn't make a difference how many bedrooms the home has. Bedrooms are simple. The " wet " part of cleaning requires the most time and muscle. So bathrooms, kitchen and floors are where the time goes. You can have a small home that's filthy dirty, costing as much as a large home that's neat and orderly.

It's all up to the client and how they choose to live the weeks in between! A good cleaning woman can tell when she visits the home to interview the prospective client; how long approx, a home is going to take to clean. Initially it will take longer in the beginning, but once the home is up to her standards, the time tapers off. She is still doing the same job.

So having said I'm 30$ an hour..a large 4 bedroom/3 bath home costs 150 give or take 5+ hours. A two hour home is 60$. If you tell me you can only spend 80$..then I try to give you the best " quick " clean possible.

Please consider that if your budget is small, you should be cleaning the weeks in between your cleaning woman's visits in order to keep the house up and get the most value for your dollar! If the house is in good shape then she has better opportunity to clean deeper. Oh and those are " man hours" . I generally work alone..but sometimes I bring help in during the holidays.

So clients are paying 150$ for approx 5+ hrs...but we are through the house in 2.5 - 3hrs. Good luck in your business!! Cleaning is extremely difficult , however if you find clients that are respectful and appreciate your work, it's very satisfying! Oh, I almost forgot; I bring all my own products, I use chemical free non-toxic products. I do not take a lunch break! I don't smoke! And I don't work slow! Good luck!

I charge anywhere from $50 to $100. If you are in MI and if interested please let me know.

Ive been in business for several months now and find that it's best to give an estimate based on how long it will take you to clean. Some customers feel I charge too much and others are elated. I don't charge a higher first time fee as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks unless it's the oven or refrigerator.

It seems nit picky to have to add 5+ dollars for some additional task the client may ask about. Try and figure some of those things into your initial quote. That way, you're coming off with a much stronger sense of customer service. The customer also knows that they're getting their money's worth. I charge $20.00 per hour and live in the Midwest.

I have been staying with my friend and her family since the beginning of June. Mind you I am normally not home and when I was I would be cleaning. I vacuumed twice a day every day I was there. I did a detail cleaning of both master and hall bathrooms. I cleaned 2 of the bedrooms, one of which took me 2 hours to clean. I did the dishes once or twice a week, even though I never ate or used any dishes. I did quite a few loads of their laundry. I also dusted the whole house everyday. And now they have kicked me out and refuse to pay, even after agreeing to pay for everything I did. I was there for 23 days, what should I charge for everything I did?

I am doing a one time cleaning for a friend that has a one bedroom, one bath home, with kitchen, living room, and dining room. My friend is about to move in, but wants it totally cleaned and mopped. I supply the cleaning supplies and it's about a 30-45minute drive to their house. So what do I charge?

By BW from Liberty, TX

My friend just bought his first home in the same city l live in and me being a stay home mom, l decided to clean their house before they move in. (For some cash.) I saw the house is a 2 story home and is very dirty. l have not ever cleaned someone else's home, but l know the time and work required. How much should I charge for cleaning a new empty home with 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, including lots of windows. I will also be cleaning walls and a cabin.

By Miriam

Answers

I think you should charge them by the hour or by room.

I would call a cleaning company in your area. If you don't have one in the area I am sure you can go online & find one. Then charge a little less an hour than they do. Also check in your local paper under Help Offers. I am sure you will be able to get an idea of what they charge in your area.

I have cleaned houses for many years. For a move in/move out cleaning you need to double the number of hours you would usually need to clean the house. Add an hour because you are unfamiliar with the house.

Most houses that size take 5 to 5.5 hours to clean. Because it is super dirty you should add 3 or 4 extra hours. Time for washing walls would be approximately 5 to 6 hours. So you are looking at about 15 hours for just the house. Most people cannot clean more than 5 hours in a day because it is so strenuous.

High cost of living areas charge $30 an hour. Low cost of living areas can charge between $5 and $10 and hour. It just depends on where you live. If I were you I would go on an hourly basis. It is impossible to bid the job with so many variables.

Let your friend know approximately how much time will be required. People can be really dense about that sort of thing, and you don't want to damage a friendship. I would allow 4 to 5 days for this job. Good luck!

I am interested in getting established as a self employed residential housecleaner. At the moment, I clean my mother's house, but I do not charge my mother because, after all, she is my mother. When cleaning my house, as well as my mother's, I always start from the ceilings in every room and give each room a complete and 100% cleaning! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and am no stranger to hard work. My plan is to offer a flxed rate for initial cleanings and a fixed rate for cleaning a house once the initial cleaning is achieved. I reside in Louisiana and have my own transportation as well as a my own cleaning supplies and equipment. Please help me to decide what I should charge for initial cleanings as well as recurring cleanings.

By Merry M

What is the cost per hour for cleaning a house and doing the laundry?

By Sara B

I am located in Chicago, Illinois, doing garden maintenance and would also like to offer common area cleaning. I want to know what a good price is for the following 6 unit building common areas: front stairs and back decks, foyer area and glass of doors, sweep all walk ways and laundry room cleanup. Estimate about 2-3hrs total for all areas. I would like to offer a once-a-week service to match up with the garden care as I'll be on-site anyway.

Thanks!

PJ

By Pat L.

I want to know if I have someone come clean my house, how much does it cost to clean one time or weekly? And how much for my office building everyday or every other day. I just want a good price with good service.

By Francesca

I am looking into getting someone to clean my home 2 times a month. I live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath trailer. I have a 2 year old little girl and am expecting another this spring. I'd only need them to clean our living room, kitchen, bathroom, and small hallway. The job would consist of vacuuming, sweeping, dusting and polishing end tables/coffee table, wipe down countertops, toilet, and tub. The job may also include a few dishes here and there if there are some. I will have all supplies they'll need, including gloves. My question is what's a fair pay for them? Id like to be sure I'm paying them as they should be. Also I live in the New Mexico area. There are no pets.

By Ashley S. from New Mexico

I am new in the cleaning business. I got a job for a 5 bedroom duplex, each room has 1 toilet and bath. Please help me, I don't know how to prepare the quotes for this job. Thanks.

By Solomon

How much do it cost to clean a 5,000 sq. ft. home in Bloomfield?

By Casheba

Most individual cleaning people charge by the hour. Most of the people that I know that have housekeepers pay between $10-$15.00 per hour.

Are most house cleaners a self employed business setup as an LLC? Do you have any insurance, bonds, or setup any contracts with clients? Are most clients experienced with this type of service?

By Pamela

How much does a house cleaning service cost?

By manandvanhirelondon

It depends on where you live. Here in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) it runs about $30 an hour. Most homes take between 4 and 5 hours to clean. this assumes they are picked up and ready for cleaning and have been cleaned on a regular basis. If not, double the price. Most services will quote you a price at no charge.

We are wondering how to estimate and what we should charge. We live in Michigan and we will clean walls, floors, and appliances of houses being prepared for rent or sale.

By Chris T

A lease management company wants me to clean a duplex after a tenant moved out. It has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. The oven is a disaster.

By Terri

I have to clean a 4,000 sq.ft. house before the customer moves in. How much do I need to charge?

By ST

How much I should ask to clean a 4 bedroom house, including a living room, dining room, basement, bathroom, and kitchen.

By Elizabeth R.

I just started my business in Oklahoma City and I am wanting to put a spring cleaning package together, but I don't know how much to charge.

By Alexis from Oklahoma City

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house?

And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge.

Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

Answers:

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I live in Indiana. I had my house cleaned a year ago when I was ill and we were selling our house. It took her

about 4 hours and she charged $100. So $25 an hour? She cleaned everything top to bottom. She did a very good job,

the bathrooms were spotless and she moped, swept, and dusted everything (even the baseboards). She did have one

other person to help her. (01/12/2007)

By Jess

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

First you will need to decide if you will be a "housekeeper" or a "house cleaner". There is a big difference in

the two. As a house cleaner, I don't make beds, wash dishes, etc. We basically dust, mop, vacuum, and disinfect

the whole house. (01/14/2007)

By #1Karen

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I have my own independent housecleaning business and I charge $20.00 per hour. (01/15/2007)

By Karen

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Wow! I have read all the feedback up to my post and I am amazed at the price differences. I think that

geographical location has a lot to do with how much you can make. I live in Iowa and I charge by the house, not by

the hour. I have found that you can clean a house faster when you get into a routine so the first couple of times

you do a new house is not really a fair estimate of what you will make hourly so it's really better to charge some

other way. That way, not only do you know what you will make every time, but the homeowner knows as well. I make

anywhere from $30-$50 per house, depending on the size of the house as well as the amount of work at each house.

Just because a house is small does not mean that it will not be a lot of work. I do plan to raise my rates soon.

(01/15/2007)

By Robin

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

We've had the same cleaning lady since 1999. She cleans 8 rooms twice a month for $90.00 each time. It takes her

4-5 hours. She is does excellent work and is honest. We furnish all the supplies and the vacuum cleaner. In

starting your own business, you may want to adjust your fee if you furnish your supplies and vacuum cleaner. If

we're on vacation and she does not come, we don't pay. (02/08/2007)

By Happycamper in DE

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I provide house keeping services in Northwestern Ohio and I charge $20/hr. Most franchises and big companies

around here charge $30/hr per cleaning person. (09/04/2007)

By Jacq

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I own my own business and I charge roughly ten dollars a room (not to include hallways they are free). If the

house is particularly dirty and I am doing baseboards and glass, etc. I charge an extra $10 on top of that.

Example:

2 bed, 2 bath, 2 living room house = $60. Especially deep cleaning, $70. If I come every week I drop that to $50.

(04/15/2008)

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I started a cleaning business a few years ago and have learned a lot. Don't charge by the hour. Establish with

your clients the tasks you'll perform regularly each visit. Look over the home carefully taking notes when you

come to talk with them and give an estimate.

Ask a lot of questions about normal use of rooms, kitchen appliances, bathrooms, etc. and try to understand

what their concerns and priorities are. Then, don't give an on-the-spot quote, but offer to call them the next day

after you have time to figure out how much time and effort it will require.
I do base that on an unrevealed to clients rate of from $20 to $35 hourly depending on whether light (dusting,

wiping) or heavy (involving scrubbing, etc.) and upon whether they are casual or fussy about how clean they want

things.

I also consider how close they are to my other clients of the day. Important point, time is money, try to have

your day's customers less than 10 minutes travel apart!
Then call the next day to come to a verbal agreement, schedule them, arrange to give references, get keys, etc.

Yes, you need to establish who is going to supply what and whose equipment you'll use. It is much easier for me

to bring all my own things. I know I'll always have what I need and I know how each product works. You should also

give them a separate rate for extra tasks they might like done from time to time like cleaning oven or fridge.

Lastly, specify you are to be paid at the time of service. And, um, if they pay cash that can be better for you at

tax time (the self-employed pay double FICA).

For some examples of what I charge : clients #1, Older couple who cook a lot, but don't make much mess and

don't have much clutter. A large, maybe 1000 sq. foot apt with 1 bedroom, 1 bath, and no carpets. I charge $65 and it

takes about 2 hrs 20 min. I do it every two weeks.

Clients #2, Retired couple who cook and entertain, but never get things dirty. They have a 1200 foot house with

2 br (only lightly dust and vac one that isn't used), 2 baths (don't clean one unused shower). Two floors,

carpets, many bookcases. I charge them $80 and it takes a little more than 3 hrs and I clean every two weeks.

Client #3, Single woman who cooks little. No clutter. 1500 sq ft apt with 1 bath. I clean the (clean!) kitchen

and the clean bathroom, dust, vacuum, mop two floors. I charge her $50 and clean each week for about 1 hr 50 min.

Also consider using nontoxic, environmentally-friendly products whenever possible. You'll have to experiment

with products to find those that are best, but remember you are going to be inhaling and touching the stuff all

day; protect your health!
Hope that all this answers some of your questions. (07/24/2008)

By Susan

Experience in Housecleaning

I have been doing the housecleaning biz for a few years. I agree that charging by the house is the way to go. I

also agree that just because a house is small doesn't mean it's not a big job. It depends on the size of the

house, the contents and how many rooms are actually used. I think some people don't realize if there are 2

cleaning people for 4 hours they are getting 8 hours of work not 4. Also the more you do a house the quicker you

get. I've had people ask me how I can accomplish so much in 3-4 hours, they don't realize when you're there to

clean you clean, where-as if it's them cleaning their own house they will talk on the phone, chat with company,

watch TV, etc. Anyway no complaints! (09/06/2008)

By Jenny

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I heard in my area that 35$ to 40$ an hour was basic pay. I know that you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't

want to get on my hands and knees for any less. Cleaning is hard work. (12/14/2008)

By Petuna

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I am, at this very moment, trying my first cleaning service. They sent two ladies over to clean my 3400 sq. ft.

home at a rate of $36 per hour, per lady ($72 per hour for both). They've been here for three hours and are still

upstairs so it may take about 6 hours to complete the job. These are rates in Raleigh, NC. (01/16/2009)

By Vicky

arizona rates

I clean houses in SE Arizona. I charge $50 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house. I dust, vacuum, mop, and change sheets in

one bedroom. Every extra room is $10. (02/04/2009)

By Bonnie

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I live in south Jersey and the I charge by how much time I can clean the house and by square feet. The average

person can clean a house that is 1600 square feet in 3 hours if they know what their doing. So for a 1600 square

foot home I would charge around 93 dollars, if I had to pay for gas, chemicals, and taxes. When I estimate by

doing a walk through it usually comes pretty close to the same price. The first time I usually charge about double,

$173. (03/01/2009)

By John

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

It depends on where you live, but in the Lehigh Valley in PA a cleaner should make between $30 and $40 an hour,

that is of course if they do a great job, which if you're in the cleaning business you better do a great job! I

would think no matter where you are in the US a cleaner should never make less than $15 per hour, and that's low.

(07/21/2009)

By mkeen25

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I clean houses in the Seattle area, which is a high income area like New York and LA. I charge $30 an hour. I

have an excellent reputation, and often have to turn down work. The average for this area is $25 an hour. I have

a 4 hour minimum. It is hard to do strenuous work for longer than 5 hours, so it is not worth going out for less

than 4 hours. I don't clean houses over 3500 sq ft. That is a 2 person job. Nearly all houses can be cleaned in

4 to 5 hours. On a 1st clean I usually double my time, unless the house has been cleaned regularly. A move out

clean usually takes double the average time you are getting inside cabinets, etc. Some folks are very messy and

need to be rescued. For them I charge by the hour (they know who they are and rarely argue) Good luck! I have

loved this work. (07/23/2009)

By Lizzyanny

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I have a cleaning service here in Colo. Springs, CO and would like to help with your question on how much to

charge. The going rate is between $20 to $30 hour if you are alone cleaning, if you have someone that helps you

clean it starts around $48 and up. But another option instead of charging by the hour is charge by the room. You

may be a fast or slow cleaning, but charging by the room you can decide how much you make an hour. It also helps

customers customize what they want cleaned and stay in their budget, make sure you have a minimum price to start

with. Hope this helps! email me if you have some questions always glad to help. (09/13/2010)

By kccleaning