How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Whether you are looking for a cleaner or starting your own business, determining the average cleaning rates is a main consideration. This is a guide about how much does house cleaning cost.

May 20, 2016 Flag

I need information on rates to pay an hour for light house work. I am temporarily restricted due to shoulder and need help. I offered to pay my friend's 20 year old daughter to help me 2 to 3 hrs a day, 1 or 2 days a week. She would do dishes, sweep kitchen, take out trash, wipe off the table, and straighten up the living area. It's only a small single floor home with 2 bed rooms, a bath, kitchen and living room. It's only light cleaning, just to keep my head above ground. What would be a fair price? I'm on a budget, live in a small east coast town, and am doing this out of necessity. I don't want to offend anyone because we're good friends. Her mom worked for a local company and got paid $20 per hour.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That's so cheap

Well how much would u pay someone to do a townhouse for to move in

May 1, 2012 Flag

I clean a 3 bedroom house with kitchen, living room, den, game room, and 2 bathrooms. I mop, sweep, vacuum, do lots of dusting, wash some clothes, and whatever dishes are in sink wash by hand.

I've been charging the same price for about 5 years; once a month for $150. She now wants it twice a month for less since she feels it will be less dirty, however, she has 2 hairy cats and a dog inside which of course shed a lot so I have to sweep and vacuum all floors before moping.

The home is about a 12 mile drive round trip. She calls me last minute lots of times so I am very convenient for her and trustworthy. I was getting ready to ask for $25 more, but don't want to be over charging if its not fair price.

By lmr

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

By the way, why are you in a business that you gave no idea what the fees, taxes, charges, etc. are? Are you a business woman or not? This is just weird. Business is business ..... Are you just in this for quick $$ or grocery $$? I take your job seriousltpt, so should you.

I charge $25 an hour for basic cleaning , same work as you do for the 3 bedroom house , I have one client that is an hour drive to get there and I supply cleaning supplies for her also , I charge her $150 to clean her place plus add extra money for the gas and cleaning supplies , I add $15 for supplies cleaners and paper towels i use , and $20 for the gas because of the distance . She is very happy with paying extra

July 9, 2015 Flag

I have been staying with my friend and her family since the beginning of June. Mind you I am normally not home and when I was I would be cleaning. I vacuumed twice a day every day I was there. I did a detail cleaning of both master and hall bathrooms. I cleaned 2 of the bedrooms, one of which took me 2 hours to clean. I did the dishes once or twice a week, even though I never ate or used any dishes. I did quite a few loads of their laundry. I also dusted the whole house everyday. And now they have kicked me out and refuse to pay, even after agreeing to pay for everything I did. I was there for 23 days, what should I charge for everything I did?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I paid $450 a month. Included the room water and electric. But was kicked out before I was there a full month.

Something is missing here-you paid $450 to stay 1 month (or more?) and you expect someone to pay you for the cleaning, etc.?

Was there a written agreement for anything?

Did you agree to provide specific cleaning services and also paid $450 before you moved in?

Did you actually volunteer cleaning but now expect them to pay for your services because they kicked you out?

Why did they kick you out?

September 21, 2013 Flag

I am interested in getting established as a self employed residential housecleaner. At the moment, I clean my mother's house, but I do not charge my mother because, after all, she is my mother. When cleaning my house, as well as my mother's, I always start from the ceilings in every room and give each room a complete and 100% cleaning! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and am no stranger to hard work. My plan is to offer a flxed rate for initial cleanings and a fixed rate for cleaning a house once the initial cleaning is achieved. I reside in Louisiana and have my own transportation as well as a my own cleaning supplies and equipment. Please help me to decide what I should charge for initial cleanings as well as recurring cleanings.

By Merry M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

$28.00 divided by three equals $9.33/hr. Most people provide product and I worked commuting and no one paid for my bus or train, ever. So the true number is $15.00/hr. If you worked only PT, 20 hrs. Per week, that equals $300/week and then 52 weeks a year; that equals $15,600 per year tax free. Remember this is part time. It seems a bit low but it is part-time. What happens to breakage? Charge more if you get insurance.

You must use a lot of gas at $7.00 a client. Here in NJ, supreme is approx. $3.50/gallon. Since when did an employer pay an employee to go to work. I have worked over 35 years and not one place of business paid my commute.

October 18, 2012 Flag

I am doing a one time cleaning for a friend that has a one bedroom, one bath home, with kitchen, living room, and dining room. My friend is about to move in, but wants it totally cleaned and mopped. I supply the cleaning supplies and it's about a 30-45minute drive to their house. So what do I charge?

By BW from Liberty, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - this may be a big job or it could be a breeze. Tell your friend that you will only charge a reasonable amount but have to see it for yourself before deciding.

Take a camera and take good photos of everything - before and after.

Keep accurate time of when you are traveling and working.

Cost of travel should also be included.

If this is not something you regularly do then you should over estimate the time you think it will take.

The smart thing to do is try to get an estimate from a regular cleaning service and then go from there.

Good luck.

Hi - just wanted to add a comment. It would be very difficult for someone from another part of the US to give you a very good estimate of how much to charge per hour because the cost of living is so different.

Some of Florida's cost of living will not compare in any way with other parts of the country.

I still suggest you try to get an estimate or look in your directory and call some of your local cleaning services and give them the info you have and see what they tell you they would charge you to do this service.

It will also give you a good idea of what they charge extra for and also what they will not do. Good luck

June 8, 2013 Flag

What is the cost per hour for cleaning a house and doing the laundry?

By Sara B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Never ever charge by hour you always charge by the job period

Did you pay your own social security and medical? Most employers do not pay their cleaning service employees this. If you can only work five hours, you can only orl five hrs. No one should pay you more. This is life! Does a fireman, policeman, nurse or doctor tell someone they can only work five hrs./day so please pay me for 8hrs/day which equals 40 hrs./wk. for 25 hrs. Of work (5x5)? Something is wrong here.

May 7, 2012 Flag

My friend just bought his first home in the same city l live in and me being a stay home mom, l decided to clean their house before they move in. (For some cash.) I saw the house is a 2 story home and is very dirty. l have not ever cleaned someone else's home, but l know the time and work required. How much should I charge for cleaning a new empty home with 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, including lots of windows. I will also be cleaning walls and a cabin.

By Miriam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have cleaned houses for many years. For a move in/move out cleaning you need to double the number of hours you would usually need to clean the house. Add an hour because you are unfamiliar with the house.

Most houses that size take 5 to 5.5 hours to clean. Because it is super dirty you should add 3 or 4 extra hours. Time for washing walls would be approximately 5 to 6 hours. So you are looking at about 15 hours for just the house. Most people cannot clean more than 5 hours in a day because it is so strenuous.

High cost of living areas charge $30 an hour. Low cost of living areas can charge between $5 and $10 and hour. It just depends on where you live. If I were you I would go on an hourly basis. It is impossible to bid the job with so many variables.

Let your friend know approximately how much time will be required. People can be really dense about that sort of thing, and you don't want to damage a friendship. I would allow 4 to 5 days for this job. Good luck!

You are the one person who actually talks about a realistic amount of time that it takes to clean houses. I feel bad taking the amount of time that I do when working on kitchens , bathrooms and floors. But I just can't seem to hold back and I must give it my all or nothing. I don't understand how some people say it only takes 3-4 hours to clean a fairly large home when it takes me 4 hours just to get through a kitchen and 3 full bathrooms. add the 3-4 bedrooms and living areas and I am up to 7 hours. That is a 1- 2 time a month cleaning. This is in california and I usually get around 90 dollars for that but I feel that its way too low but I like the family.

January 11, 2007 Flag

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house? And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge. Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I charge anywhere from $50 to $100. If you are in MI and if interested please let me know.

Ive been in business for several months now and find that it's best to give an estimate based on how long it will take you to clean. Some customers feel I charge too much and others are elated. I don't charge a higher first time fee as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks unless it's the oven or refrigerator.

It seems nit picky to have to add 5+ dollars for some additional task the client may ask about. Try and figure some of those things into your initial quote. That way, you're coming off with a much stronger sense of customer service. The customer also knows that they're getting their money's worth. I charge $20.00 per hour and live in the Midwest.

May 8, 2014 Flag

I am located in Chicago, Illinois, doing garden maintenance and would also like to offer common area cleaning. I want to know what a good price is for the following 6 unit building common areas: front stairs and back decks, foyer area and glass of doors, sweep all walk ways and laundry room cleanup. Estimate about 2-3hrs total for all areas. I would like to offer a once-a-week service to match up with the garden care as I'll be on-site anyway.

Thanks!

PJ

By Pat L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am composing this because am interesting in learning about "cleaning prices" although I am not qualified. I want you people to teach me.

February 27, 2014 Flag

I want to know if I have someone come clean my house, how much does it cost to clean one time or weekly? And how much for my office building everyday or every other day. I just want a good price with good service.

By Francesca

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, my prices for basic cleaning are: 1 bedroom - $65,

2 bedroom - $75,

3 bedroom- $85 and so on...

Fridge +$20

Stove + 20

Laundry + 25

For estimating the office I need to see it...

I'm located in Central New Jersey, my number is 609 858 1718. If you interesting please call me...

September 11, 2013 Flag

I am looking into getting someone to clean my home 2 times a month. I live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath trailer. I have a 2 year old little girl and am expecting another this spring. I'd only need them to clean our living room, kitchen, bathroom, and small hallway. The job would consist of vacuuming, sweeping, dusting and polishing end tables/coffee table, wipe down countertops, toilet, and tub. The job may also include a few dishes here and there if there are some. I will have all supplies they'll need, including gloves. My question is what's a fair pay for them? Id like to be sure I'm paying them as they should be. Also I live in the New Mexico area. There are no pets.

By Ashley S. from New Mexico

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would pay them by the hour. $20/hr or a minimum of $15/hr as long as they are thorough. Good luck!

May 22, 2012 Flag

I am new in the cleaning business. I got a job for a 5 bedroom duplex, each room has 1 toilet and bath. Please help me, I don't know how to prepare the quotes for this job. Thanks.

By Solomon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here in Il. I would estimate no less than $700.00 Every bathroom and every kitchen takes about 2 hrs. to clean. you may estimate even higher, and believe me even with a good helper it will probably take at least 12 hrs.

May 4, 2012 Flag

How much do it cost to clean a 5,000 sq. ft. home in Bloomfield?

By Casheba

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most individual cleaning people charge by the hour. Most of the people that I know that have housekeepers pay between $10-$15.00 per hour.

April 30, 2012 Flag

Are most house cleaners a self employed business setup as an LLC? Do you have any insurance, bonds, or setup any contracts with clients? Are most clients experienced with this type of service?

By Pamela

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Self-employed, set up as an LLC? Not all companies are set up this way. Some are groups of people who start a business together. As just one person you'll only be able to handle, at the most, 2 to 3 clients really, really well, and even then 3 might make it hard to keep a good reputation. Which you will need more than anything.

Do you have to have insurance? Yes. For yourself if you are injured on someone elses property. For clients if they injure themselves stepping over any of your equipment while you are on their property.

Do you need to be Bonded? Yes. This shows the client that if anything goes missing and they think you stole it that you have a bond to cover such loses.

Do you have to set up contracts with clients? With some yes. Example: If you clean apartments for an apartment building owner. Some rich people like to make a contract to have you show up on certain days each week.

Other people will call in asking for one time services. Usually a company has several workers and can accommodate these one time callers.

It is up to you to decide if you want to make contracts or just wait for one time callers. Contracts will bring in a more regular income.

Are "most" clients experienced with this kind of service? "Most" does not apply to anything. But I always assume that the client has no idea what they really want and ask them many, many questions. Make a list of questions to ask callers so you can get them to the point of what they really want and need without taking all day. Guide them, politely, to an end result.

Have your rates set up in advance! Tell them your rates. Do not negotiate rates right off the bat, over the phone. If they seem serious and want to come in to sign a contract you can, at that time, offer them discounts based on what they want.

April 14, 2015 Flag

We are wondering how to estimate and what we should charge. We live in Michigan and we will clean walls, floors, and appliances of houses being prepared for rent or sale.

By Chris T

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2015 Flag

A lease management company wants me to clean a duplex after a tenant moved out. It has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. The oven is a disaster.

By Terri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 27, 2011 Flag

How much does a house cleaning service cost?

By manandvanhirelondon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It depends on where you live. Here in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) it runs about $30 an hour. Most homes take between 4 and 5 hours to clean. this assumes they are picked up and ready for cleaning and have been cleaned on a regular basis. If not, double the price. Most services will quote you a price at no charge.

June 10, 2014 Flag

I have to clean a 4,000 sq.ft. house before the customer moves in. How much do I need to charge?

By ST

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Business and Legal BusinessFebruary 1, 2013
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
A dog being check out by a veterinarian.
Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic
Row of holiday trailers in a park.
Cleaning Aluminum Siding
Satelite dish against a tree in background.
Saving Money on DirectTV
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 9:54:05 AM on 10.0.2.237 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.