How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Whether you are looking for a cleaner or starting your own business, determining the average cleaning rates is a main consideration. This is a guide about how much does house cleaning cost.

May 20, 2016 Flag

I need information on rates to pay an hour for light house work. I am temporarily restricted due to shoulder and need help. I offered to pay my friend's 20 year old daughter to help me 2 to 3 hrs a day, 1 or 2 days a week. She would do dishes, sweep kitchen, take out trash, wipe off the table, and straighten up the living area. It's only a small single floor home with 2 bed rooms, a bath, kitchen and living room. It's only light cleaning, just to keep my head above ground. What would be a fair price? I'm on a budget, live in a small east coast town, and am doing this out of necessity. I don't want to offend anyone because we're good friends. Her mom worked for a local company and got paid $20 per hour.

Thank you.

That is very cheap!

That's so cheap

May 1, 2012 Flag

I clean a 3 bedroom house with kitchen, living room, den, game room, and 2 bathrooms. I mop, sweep, vacuum, do lots of dusting, wash some clothes, and whatever dishes are in sink wash by hand.

I've been charging the same price for about 5 years; once a month for $150. She now wants it twice a month for less since she feels it will be less dirty, however, she has 2 hairy cats and a dog inside which of course shed a lot so I have to sweep and vacuum all floors before moping.

The home is about a 12 mile drive round trip. She calls me last minute lots of times so I am very convenient for her and trustworthy. I was getting ready to ask for $25 more, but don't want to be over charging if its not fair price.

By lmr

You should state your city and state so everyone could help you.

By the way, why are you in a business that you gave no idea what the fees, taxes, charges, etc. are? Are you a business woman or not? This is just weird. Business is business ..... Are you just in this for quick $$ or grocery $$? I take your job seriousltpt, so should you.

July 9, 2015 Flag

I have been staying with my friend and her family since the beginning of June. Mind you I am normally not home and when I was I would be cleaning. I vacuumed twice a day every day I was there. I did a detail cleaning of both master and hall bathrooms. I cleaned 2 of the bedrooms, one of which took me 2 hours to clean. I did the dishes once or twice a week, even though I never ate or used any dishes. I did quite a few loads of their laundry. I also dusted the whole house everyday. And now they have kicked me out and refuse to pay, even after agreeing to pay for everything I did. I was there for 23 days, what should I charge for everything I did?

I paid $450 a month. Included the room water and electric. But was kicked out before I was there a full month.

Something is missing here-you paid $450 to stay 1 month (or more?) and you expect someone to pay you for the cleaning, etc.?

Was there a written agreement for anything?

Did you agree to provide specific cleaning services and also paid $450 before you moved in?

Did you actually volunteer cleaning but now expect them to pay for your services because they kicked you out?

Why did they kick you out?

September 21, 2013 Flag

I am interested in getting established as a self employed residential housecleaner. At the moment, I clean my mother's house, but I do not charge my mother because, after all, she is my mother. When cleaning my house, as well as my mother's, I always start from the ceilings in every room and give each room a complete and 100% cleaning! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and am no stranger to hard work. My plan is to offer a flxed rate for initial cleanings and a fixed rate for cleaning a house once the initial cleaning is achieved. I reside in Louisiana and have my own transportation as well as a my own cleaning supplies and equipment. Please help me to decide what I should charge for initial cleanings as well as recurring cleanings.

By Merry M

$28.00 divided by three equals $9.33/hr. Most people provide product and I worked commuting and no one paid for my bus or train, ever. So the true number is $15.00/hr. If you worked only PT, 20 hrs. Per week, that equals $300/week and then 52 weeks a year; that equals $15,600 per year tax free. Remember this is part time. It seems a bit low but it is part-time. What happens to breakage? Charge more if you get insurance.

You must use a lot of gas at $7.00 a client. Here in NJ, supreme is approx. $3.50/gallon. Since when did an employer pay an employee to go to work. I have worked over 35 years and not one place of business paid my commute.

June 8, 2013 Flag

What is the cost per hour for cleaning a house and doing the laundry?

By Sara B

Never ever charge by hour you always charge by the job period

Did you pay your own social security and medical? Most employers do not pay their cleaning service employees this. If you can only work five hours, you can only orl five hrs. No one should pay you more. This is life! Does a fireman, policeman, nurse or doctor tell someone they can only work five hrs./day so please pay me for 8hrs/day which equals 40 hrs./wk. for 25 hrs. Of work (5x5)? Something is wrong here.

October 18, 2012 Flag

I am doing a one time cleaning for a friend that has a one bedroom, one bath home, with kitchen, living room, and dining room. My friend is about to move in, but wants it totally cleaned and mopped. I supply the cleaning supplies and it's about a 30-45minute drive to their house. So what do I charge?

By BW from Liberty, TX

Hi - this may be a big job or it could be a breeze. Tell your friend that you will only charge a reasonable amount but have to see it for yourself before deciding.

Take a camera and take good photos of everything - before and after.

Keep accurate time of when you are traveling and working.

Cost of travel should also be included.

If this is not something you regularly do then you should over estimate the time you think it will take.

The smart thing to do is try to get an estimate from a regular cleaning service and then go from there.

Good luck.

Hi - just wanted to add a comment. It would be very difficult for someone from another part of the US to give you a very good estimate of how much to charge per hour because the cost of living is so different.

Some of Florida's cost of living will not compare in any way with other parts of the country.

I still suggest you try to get an estimate or look in your directory and call some of your local cleaning services and give them the info you have and see what they tell you they would charge you to do this service.

It will also give you a good idea of what they charge extra for and also what they will not do. Good luck

May 7, 2012 Flag

My friend just bought his first home in the same city l live in and me being a stay home mom, l decided to clean their house before they move in. (For some cash.) I saw the house is a 2 story home and is very dirty. l have not ever cleaned someone else's home, but l know the time and work required. How much should I charge for cleaning a new empty home with 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, including lots of windows. I will also be cleaning walls and a cabin.

By Miriam

I would call a cleaning company in your area. If you don't have one in the area I am sure you can go online & find one. Then charge a little less an hour than they do. Also check in your local paper under Help Offers. I am sure you will be able to get an idea of what they charge in your area.

I have cleaned houses for many years. For a move in/move out cleaning you need to double the number of hours you would usually need to clean the house. Add an hour because you are unfamiliar with the house.

Most houses that size take 5 to 5.5 hours to clean. Because it is super dirty you should add 3 or 4 extra hours. Time for washing walls would be approximately 5 to 6 hours. So you are looking at about 15 hours for just the house. Most people cannot clean more than 5 hours in a day because it is so strenuous.

High cost of living areas charge $30 an hour. Low cost of living areas can charge between $5 and $10 and hour. It just depends on where you live. If I were you I would go on an hourly basis. It is impossible to bid the job with so many variables.

Let your friend know approximately how much time will be required. People can be really dense about that sort of thing, and you don't want to damage a friendship. I would allow 4 to 5 days for this job. Good luck!

January 11, 2007 Flag

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house? And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge. Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

I charge anywhere from $50 to $100. If you are in MI and if interested please let me know.

Ive been in business for several months now and find that it's best to give an estimate based on how long it will take you to clean. Some customers feel I charge too much and others are elated. I don't charge a higher first time fee as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks unless it's the oven or refrigerator.

It seems nit picky to have to add 5+ dollars for some additional task the client may ask about. Try and figure some of those things into your initial quote. That way, you're coming off with a much stronger sense of customer service. The customer also knows that they're getting their money's worth. I charge $20.00 per hour and live in the Midwest.

Load More
Business and Legal BusinessFebruary 1, 2013
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Toothbrushes in Holder
Cleaning a Toothbrush Holder
A dog being check out by a veterinarian.
Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic
Satelite dish against a tree in background.
Saving Money on DirectTV
🎉
🎄