How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Category Business
Whether you are looking for a cleaner or starting your own business, determining the average cleaning rates is a main consideration. This is a guide about how much does house cleaning cost.

I clean a 3 bedroom house with kitchen, living room, den, game room, and 2 bathrooms. I mop, sweep, vacuum, do lots of dusting, wash some clothes, and whatever dishes are in sink wash by hand.

I've been charging the same price for about 5 years; once a month for $150. She now wants it twice a month for less since she feels it will be less dirty, however, she has 2 hairy cats and a dog inside which of course shed a lot so I have to sweep and vacuum all floors before moping.

The home is about a 12 mile drive round trip. She calls me last minute lots of times so I am very convenient for her and trustworthy. I was getting ready to ask for $25 more, but don't want to be over charging if its not fair price.

By lmr

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

I charge $25 an hour for basic cleaning , same work as you do for the 3 bedroom house , I have one client that is an hour drive to get there and I supply cleaning supplies for her also , I charge her $150 to clean her place plus add extra money for the gas and cleaning supplies , I add $15 for supplies cleaners and paper towels i use , and $20 for the gas because of the distance . She is very happy with paying extra

2 day a week is fine how every u should charge her ex for the mass of the cats its only far after all u been with her a long time she its not far to ask someone to do something you would not do and cat hair is not easy to clean up

I need information on rates to pay an hour for light house work. I am temporarily restricted due to shoulder and need help. I offered to pay my friend's 20 year old daughter to help me 2 to 3 hrs a day, 1 or 2 days a week. She would do dishes, sweep kitchen, take out trash, wipe off the table, and straighten up the living area. It's only a small single floor home with 2 bed rooms, a bath, kitchen and living room. It's only light cleaning, just to keep my head above ground. What would be a fair price? I'm on a budget, live in a small east coast town, and am doing this out of necessity. I don't want to offend anyone because we're good friends. Her mom worked for a local company and got paid $20 per hour.
Thank you.

20 .00 per hr is spot on. You have to realise,she is working on her own,no help no payouts,so no overhead,

I would agree with $15-$20 an hour! I think that is a fair price!

I have been staying with my friend and her family since the beginning of June. Mind you I am normally not home and when I was I would be cleaning. I vacuumed twice a day every day I was there. I did a detail cleaning of both master and hall bathrooms. I cleaned 2 of the bedrooms, one of which took me 2 hours to clean. I did the dishes once or twice a week, even though I never ate or used any dishes. I did quite a few loads of their laundry. I also dusted the whole house everyday. And now they have kicked me out and refuse to pay, even after agreeing to pay for everything I did. I was there for 23 days, what should I charge for everything I did?

I paid $450 a month. Included the room water and electric. But was kicked out before I was there a full month.

Something is missing here-you paid $450 to stay 1 month (or more?) and you expect someone to pay you for the cleaning, etc.?

Was there a written agreement for anything?

Did you agree to provide specific cleaning services and also paid $450 before you moved in?

Did you actually volunteer cleaning but now expect them to pay for your services because they kicked you out?

Why did they kick you out?

I am interested in getting established as a self employed residential housecleaner. At the moment, I clean my mother's house, but I do not charge my mother because, after all, she is my mother. When cleaning my house, as well as my mother's, I always start from the ceilings in every room and give each room a complete and 100% cleaning! I am not afraid to get my hands dirty and am no stranger to hard work. My plan is to offer a flxed rate for initial cleanings and a fixed rate for cleaning a house once the initial cleaning is achieved. I reside in Louisiana and have my own transportation as well as a my own cleaning supplies and equipment. Please help me to decide what I should charge for initial cleanings as well as recurring cleanings.

By Merry M

$28.00 divided by three equals $9.33/hr. Most people provide product and I worked commuting and no one paid for my bus or train, ever. So the true number is $15.00/hr. If you worked only PT, 20 hrs. Per week, that equals $300/week and then 52 weeks a year; that equals $15,600 per year tax free. Remember this is part time. It seems a bit low but it is part-time. What happens to breakage? Charge more if you get insurance.

You must use a lot of gas at $7.00 a client. Here in NJ, supreme is approx. $3.50/gallon. Since when did an employer pay an employee to go to work. I have worked over 35 years and not one place of business paid my commute.

I am doing a one time cleaning for a friend that has a one bedroom, one bath home, with kitchen, living room, and dining room. My friend is about to move in, but wants it totally cleaned and mopped. I supply the cleaning supplies and it's about a 30-45minute drive to their house. So what do I charge?

By BW from Liberty, TX

Hi - this may be a big job or it could be a breeze. Tell your friend that you will only charge a reasonable amount but have to see it for yourself before deciding.

Take a camera and take good photos of everything - before and after.

Keep accurate time of when you are traveling and working.

Cost of travel should also be included.

If this is not something you regularly do then you should over estimate the time you think it will take.

The smart thing to do is try to get an estimate from a regular cleaning service and then go from there.

Good luck.

Hi - just wanted to add a comment. It would be very difficult for someone from another part of the US to give you a very good estimate of how much to charge per hour because the cost of living is so different.

Some of Florida's cost of living will not compare in any way with other parts of the country.

I still suggest you try to get an estimate or look in your directory and call some of your local cleaning services and give them the info you have and see what they tell you they would charge you to do this service.

It will also give you a good idea of what they charge extra for and also what they will not do. Good luck

What is the cost per hour for cleaning a house and doing the laundry?

By Sara B

Anonymous

Never ever charge by hour you always charge by the job period

Did you pay your own social security and medical? Most employers do not pay their cleaning service employees this. If you can only work five hours, you can only orl five hrs. No one should pay you more. This is life! Does a fireman, policeman, nurse or doctor tell someone they can only work five hrs./day so please pay me for 8hrs/day which equals 40 hrs./wk. for 25 hrs. Of work (5x5)? Something is wrong here.

My friend just bought his first home in the same city l live in and me being a stay home mom, l decided to clean their house before they move in. (For some cash.) I saw the house is a 2 story home and is very dirty. l have not ever cleaned someone else's home, but l know the time and work required. How much should I charge for cleaning a new empty home with 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, including lots of windows. I will also be cleaning walls and a cabin.

By Miriam

Anonymous

You are the one person who actually talks about a realistic amount of time that it takes to clean houses. I feel bad taking the amount of time that I do when working on kitchens , bathrooms and floors. But I just can't seem to hold back and I must give it my all or nothing. I don't understand how some people say it only takes 3-4 hours to clean a fairly large home when it takes me 4 hours just to get through a kitchen and 3 full bathrooms. add the 3-4 bedrooms and living areas and I am up to 7 hours. That is a 1- 2 time a month cleaning. This is in california and I usually get around 90 dollars for that but I feel that its way too low but I like the family.

Anonymous

We just did a house like that charged $975

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house? And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge. Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

I charge anywhere from $50 to $100. If you are in MI and if interested please let me know.

Ive been in business for several months now and find that it's best to give an estimate based on how long it will take you to clean. Some customers feel I charge too much and others are elated. I don't charge a higher first time fee as I feel the price balances out in time. I also don't itemize additional cleaning tasks unless it's the oven or refrigerator.

It seems nit picky to have to add 5+ dollars for some additional task the client may ask about. Try and figure some of those things into your initial quote. That way, you're coming off with a much stronger sense of customer service. The customer also knows that they're getting their money's worth. I charge $20.00 per hour and live in the Midwest.

I am located in Chicago, Illinois, doing garden maintenance and would also like to offer common area cleaning. I want to know what a good price is for the following 6 unit building common areas: front stairs and back decks, foyer area and glass of doors, sweep all walk ways and laundry room cleanup. Estimate about 2-3hrs total for all areas. I would like to offer a once-a-week service to match up with the garden care as I'll be on-site anyway.

Thanks!

PJ

By Pat L.

I am composing this because am interesting in learning about "cleaning prices" although I am not qualified. I want you people to teach me.

I want to know if I have someone come clean my house, how much does it cost to clean one time or weekly? And how much for my office building everyday or every other day. I just want a good price with good service.

By Francesca

Hi, my prices for basic cleaning are: 1 bedroom - $65,

2 bedroom - $75,

3 bedroom- $85 and so on...

Fridge +$20

Stove + 20

Laundry + 25

For estimating the office I need to see it...

I'm located in Central New Jersey, my number is 609 858 1718. If you interesting please call me...

I am looking into getting someone to clean my home 2 times a month. I live in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath trailer. I have a 2 year old little girl and am expecting another this spring. I'd only need them to clean our living room, kitchen, bathroom, and small hallway. The job would consist of vacuuming, sweeping, dusting and polishing end tables/coffee table, wipe down countertops, toilet, and tub. The job may also include a few dishes here and there if there are some. I will have all supplies they'll need, including gloves. My question is what's a fair pay for them? Id like to be sure I'm paying them as they should be. Also I live in the New Mexico area. There are no pets.

By Ashley S. from New Mexico

I would pay them by the hour. $20/hr or a minimum of $15/hr as long as they are thorough. Good luck!

We are wondering how to estimate and what we should charge. We live in Michigan and we will clean walls, floors, and appliances of houses being prepared for rent or sale.

By Chris T

A lease management company wants me to clean a duplex after a tenant moved out. It has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. The oven is a disaster.

By Terri

I am new in the cleaning business. I got a job for a 5 bedroom duplex, each room has 1 toilet and bath. Please help me, I don't know how to prepare the quotes for this job. Thanks.

By Solomon

Here in Il. I would estimate no less than $700.00 Every bathroom and every kitchen takes about 2 hrs. to clean. you may estimate even higher, and believe me even with a good helper it will probably take at least 12 hrs.

How much do it cost to clean a 5,000 sq. ft. home in Bloomfield?

By Casheba

Most individual cleaning people charge by the hour. Most of the people that I know that have housekeepers pay between $10-$15.00 per hour.

Are most house cleaners a self employed business setup as an LLC? Do you have any insurance, bonds, or setup any contracts with clients? Are most clients experienced with this type of service?

By Pamela

Self-employed, set up as an LLC? Not all companies are set up this way. Some are groups of people who start a business together. As just one person you'll only be able to handle, at the most, 2 to 3 clients really, really well, and even then 3 might make it hard to keep a good reputation. Which you will need more than anything.

Do you have to have insurance? Yes. For yourself if you are injured on someone elses property. For clients if they injure themselves stepping over any of your equipment while you are on their property.

Do you need to be Bonded? Yes. This shows the client that if anything goes missing and they think you stole it that you have a bond to cover such loses.

Do you have to set up contracts with clients? With some yes. Example: If you clean apartments for an apartment building owner. Some rich people like to make a contract to have you show up on certain days each week.

Other people will call in asking for one time services. Usually a company has several workers and can accommodate these one time callers.

It is up to you to decide if you want to make contracts or just wait for one time callers. Contracts will bring in a more regular income.

Are "most" clients experienced with this kind of service? "Most" does not apply to anything. But I always assume that the client has no idea what they really want and ask them many, many questions. Make a list of questions to ask callers so you can get them to the point of what they really want and need without taking all day. Guide them, politely, to an end result.

Have your rates set up in advance! Tell them your rates. Do not negotiate rates right off the bat, over the phone. If they seem serious and want to come in to sign a contract you can, at that time, offer them discounts based on what they want.

I have to clean a 4,000 sq.ft. house before the customer moves in. How much do I need to charge?

By ST

How much does a house cleaning service cost?

By manandvanhirelondon

It depends on where you live. Here in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) it runs about $30 an hour. Most homes take between 4 and 5 hours to clean. this assumes they are picked up and ready for cleaning and have been cleaned on a regular basis. If not, double the price. Most services will quote you a price at no charge.

How much I should ask to clean a 4 bedroom house, including a living room, dining room, basement, bathroom, and kitchen.

By Elizabeth R.

I just started my business in Oklahoma City and I am wanting to put a spring cleaning package together, but I don't know how much to charge.

By Alexis from Oklahoma City

If you have someone come in twice a week to clean your home, what do you pay for for 2, 3, and 4 bedroom house?

And how many people and how long does it take them? I am starting my own business and not sure of how to charge.

Is $20 per hour fair? I do provide excellent service and live in central NJ.

Thanks,
Kim from Howell

Answers:

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I live in Indiana. I had my house cleaned a year ago when I was ill and we were selling our house. It took her

about 4 hours and she charged $100. So $25 an hour? She cleaned everything top to bottom. She did a very good job,

the bathrooms were spotless and she moped, swept, and dusted everything (even the baseboards). She did have one

other person to help her. (01/12/2007)

By Jess

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

First you will need to decide if you will be a "housekeeper" or a "house cleaner". There is a big difference in

the two. As a house cleaner, I don't make beds, wash dishes, etc. We basically dust, mop, vacuum, and disinfect

the whole house. (01/14/2007)

By #1Karen

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I have my own independent housecleaning business and I charge $20.00 per hour. (01/15/2007)

By Karen

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

Wow! I have read all the feedback up to my post and I am amazed at the price differences. I think that

geographical location has a lot to do with how much you can make. I live in Iowa and I charge by the house, not by

the hour. I have found that you can clean a house faster when you get into a routine so the first couple of times

you do a new house is not really a fair estimate of what you will make hourly so it's really better to charge some

other way. That way, not only do you know what you will make every time, but the homeowner knows as well. I make

anywhere from $30-$50 per house, depending on the size of the house as well as the amount of work at each house.

Just because a house is small does not mean that it will not be a lot of work. I do plan to raise my rates soon.

(01/15/2007)

By Robin

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

We've had the same cleaning lady since 1999. She cleans 8 rooms twice a month for $90.00 each time. It takes her

4-5 hours. She is does excellent work and is honest. We furnish all the supplies and the vacuum cleaner. In

starting your own business, you may want to adjust your fee if you furnish your supplies and vacuum cleaner. If

we're on vacation and she does not come, we don't pay. (02/08/2007)

By Happycamper in DE

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I provide house keeping services in Northwestern Ohio and I charge $20/hr. Most franchises and big companies

around here charge $30/hr per cleaning person. (09/04/2007)

By Jacq

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I own my own business and I charge roughly ten dollars a room (not to include hallways they are free). If the

house is particularly dirty and I am doing baseboards and glass, etc. I charge an extra $10 on top of that.

Example:

2 bed, 2 bath, 2 living room house = $60. Especially deep cleaning, $70. If I come every week I drop that to $50.

(04/15/2008)

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I started a cleaning business a few years ago and have learned a lot. Don't charge by the hour. Establish with

your clients the tasks you'll perform regularly each visit. Look over the home carefully taking notes when you

come to talk with them and give an estimate.

Ask a lot of questions about normal use of rooms, kitchen appliances, bathrooms, etc. and try to understand

what their concerns and priorities are. Then, don't give an on-the-spot quote, but offer to call them the next day

after you have time to figure out how much time and effort it will require.
I do base that on an unrevealed to clients rate of from $20 to $35 hourly depending on whether light (dusting,

wiping) or heavy (involving scrubbing, etc.) and upon whether they are casual or fussy about how clean they want

things.

I also consider how close they are to my other clients of the day. Important point, time is money, try to have

your day's customers less than 10 minutes travel apart!
Then call the next day to come to a verbal agreement, schedule them, arrange to give references, get keys, etc.

Yes, you need to establish who is going to supply what and whose equipment you'll use. It is much easier for me

to bring all my own things. I know I'll always have what I need and I know how each product works. You should also

give them a separate rate for extra tasks they might like done from time to time like cleaning oven or fridge.

Lastly, specify you are to be paid at the time of service. And, um, if they pay cash that can be better for you at

tax time (the self-employed pay double FICA).

For some examples of what I charge : clients #1, Older couple who cook a lot, but don't make much mess and

don't have much clutter. A large, maybe 1000 sq. foot apt with 1 bedroom, 1 bath, and no carpets. I charge $65 and it

takes about 2 hrs 20 min. I do it every two weeks.

Clients #2, Retired couple who cook and entertain, but never get things dirty. They have a 1200 foot house with

2 br (only lightly dust and vac one that isn't used), 2 baths (don't clean one unused shower). Two floors,

carpets, many bookcases. I charge them $80 and it takes a little more than 3 hrs and I clean every two weeks.

Client #3, Single woman who cooks little. No clutter. 1500 sq ft apt with 1 bath. I clean the (clean!) kitchen

and the clean bathroom, dust, vacuum, mop two floors. I charge her $50 and clean each week for about 1 hr 50 min.

Also consider using nontoxic, environmentally-friendly products whenever possible. You'll have to experiment

with products to find those that are best, but remember you are going to be inhaling and touching the stuff all

day; protect your health!
Hope that all this answers some of your questions. (07/24/2008)

By Susan

Experience in Housecleaning

I have been doing the housecleaning biz for a few years. I agree that charging by the house is the way to go. I

also agree that just because a house is small doesn't mean it's not a big job. It depends on the size of the

house, the contents and how many rooms are actually used. I think some people don't realize if there are 2

cleaning people for 4 hours they are getting 8 hours of work not 4. Also the more you do a house the quicker you

get. I've had people ask me how I can accomplish so much in 3-4 hours, they don't realize when you're there to

clean you clean, where-as if it's them cleaning their own house they will talk on the phone, chat with company,

watch TV, etc. Anyway no complaints! (09/06/2008)

By Jenny

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I heard in my area that 35$ to 40$ an hour was basic pay. I know that you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't

want to get on my hands and knees for any less. Cleaning is hard work. (12/14/2008)

By Petuna

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I am, at this very moment, trying my first cleaning service. They sent two ladies over to clean my 3400 sq. ft.

home at a rate of $36 per hour, per lady ($72 per hour for both). They've been here for three hours and are still

upstairs so it may take about 6 hours to complete the job. These are rates in Raleigh, NC. (01/16/2009)

By Vicky

arizona rates

I clean houses in SE Arizona. I charge $50 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house. I dust, vacuum, mop, and change sheets in

one bedroom. Every extra room is $10. (02/04/2009)

By Bonnie

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I live in south Jersey and the I charge by how much time I can clean the house and by square feet. The average

person can clean a house that is 1600 square feet in 3 hours if they know what their doing. So for a 1600 square

foot home I would charge around 93 dollars, if I had to pay for gas, chemicals, and taxes. When I estimate by

doing a walk through it usually comes pretty close to the same price. The first time I usually charge about double,

$173. (03/01/2009)

By John

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

It depends on where you live, but in the Lehigh Valley in PA a cleaner should make between $30 and $40 an hour,

that is of course if they do a great job, which if you're in the cleaning business you better do a great job! I

would think no matter where you are in the US a cleaner should never make less than $15 per hour, and that's low.

(07/21/2009)

By mkeen25

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I clean houses in the Seattle area, which is a high income area like New York and LA. I charge $30 an hour. I

have an excellent reputation, and often have to turn down work. The average for this area is $25 an hour. I have

a 4 hour minimum. It is hard to do strenuous work for longer than 5 hours, so it is not worth going out for less

than 4 hours. I don't clean houses over 3500 sq ft. That is a 2 person job. Nearly all houses can be cleaned in

4 to 5 hours. On a 1st clean I usually double my time, unless the house has been cleaned regularly. A move out

clean usually takes double the average time you are getting inside cabinets, etc. Some folks are very messy and

need to be rescued. For them I charge by the hour (they know who they are and rarely argue) Good luck! I have

loved this work. (07/23/2009)

By Lizzyanny

How Much Does House Cleaning Cost?

I have a cleaning service here in Colo. Springs, CO and would like to help with your question on how much to

charge. The going rate is between $20 to $30 hour if you are alone cleaning, if you have someone that helps you

clean it starts around $48 and up. But another option instead of charging by the hour is charge by the room. You

may be a fast or slow cleaning, but charging by the room you can decide how much you make an hour. It also helps

customers customize what they want cleaned and stay in their budget, make sure you have a minimum price to start

with. Hope this helps! email me if you have some questions always glad to help. (09/13/2010)

By kccleaning