Removing Labels from Plastic

How do you remove adhesive label from plastic?

By Tammie from Fenton, MI

The way I remove labels is to apply oil,I use olive oil, to the label and let it soak. The oil will soften the label so you can peel it off. Also the oil doesn't harm the substrate.

WD-40 works very well.Just spray a little on a rag and wipe.Let it soak for a minute and the glue will disolve.Then clean the WD-40 with any all purpose cleaner.

I use a hair dryer, it works great for removing the glued stickers or labels. aim your hair dryer at label and start slowly pulling it away from what ever it's stuck to. Watch your fingers because the air gets hot! Voila! It's off in about a minute!

Spray a tiny bit of no stick cooking spray on it or, W/D 40 type solution.

Hot water inside the container can be used to remove labels from plastic, metal, or glass. Most labels are heat sensitive, so fill container with very hot water, allow heat to penetrate the label and then begin to slowly peel the label away. Keep the label dry and it is less likely to tear. Any remaining glue residue can be removed with goo gone.

Hi Tammie, After peeling off the label as best I can, if there is any adhesive left on I use Surgical Spirit to remove the adhesive, I think perhaps you might call it Rubbing Alcohol in the USA (I'm in the UK).

Sometimes I might rinse a just empty jar then when I have my daily bath, the jar soaks along with me; that way lots of stubborn labels remove easily. I hope this helps.

Almost every time GooGone has worked for me ;-)

With some labels the glue will dissolve with hot water. For those that don't, use lighter fluid. It won't hurt the plastic. I use lighter fluid for a million things around the house. Label goo, tar, tree sap, scuff marks, candle was residue. It removes magic marker from many surfaces. I've used it on my car, clothes, floors and walls, glass, plastic, even on myself and I've never had a surface so far that it's hurt. It evaporates, doesn't have an offensive odor, and it's cheap. Works ten times better than that expense Goo Gone or Goof Off and a lot less expensive. We don't smoke but have lighter fluid everywhere; under Kitchen and bathroom sink, laundry room, garage, even in my office. It's a multipurpose product!

Use a product called oops! you can purchase at any hardware store. It removes paint, tar, lipstick gum, label residue, marker pen ink, glue and crayon. I remover glue left over from plastic container in about 10 seconds.

To remove labels from medicine bottles do the following:

1. Heat water in tea kettle until it whistles (careful water is HOT).

2. Fill medicine bottle with water put lid back on.

3. Set timer for 5 minutes.

4. When timer goes off remove label.

I have tested this several times with different times and temperatures and this is the best method.

Pill Bottles on White Background
Removing Labels from Plastic Containers
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceNovember 7, 2009
Finding Free Address Labels
Finding Free Address Labels
🎉
🎄