Freezing Summer Squash

Do you remove the seeds and the insides of the zucchini to freeze it? I don't know if you have to peel it and remove the seeds and such, or what you have to do to it to get it ready for the freezer.

Barb

Yellow and Zuchini squash can be picked when tender; wash, slice crossways, and blanch 1 min in boiling water, then place in ice water a few min to cool. Drain and place in freezer bags or containers. I have also cooked them with onions and a few shredded carrots, let cool and placed into freezer bags. Don't allow the water content to be very much. This can then be made into a squash casserole by adding cream of chicken soup and layer with herbal stuffing mix. I have used the chuncks and the smaller pieces. Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour over the stuffing mix. I prefer the smaller pieces.

July 17, 2010 Flag

We are growing zucchini in our garden, my question is can you freeze zucchini for later use?

By Vicki from Bonifay, FL

Answers:

Freezing Summer Squash

Yes, but it will be very soft when thawed; like strawberries. It's wonderful in lasagna and casseroles. (05/26/2010)

By bkvander

Freezing Summer Squash

Yes, you can freeze it. I peel it and take out the seeds first. Cut it in quarters and shred it in the food processor. I save all of my dip containers, icing containers, peanut butter jars, and sour cream containers and freeze about a cup in each 1.

When I'm ready to use it I thaw it out on the countertop and then put it in a colander to get out all the excess liquid. Then add it to a recipe that calls for shredded zucchini. My family just loves my zucchini brownies and zucchini cake! (05/27/2010)

By luv2craft

Freezing Summer Squash

I froze mine last summer by shredding it, putting it into a container and freezing it, then transferring the frozen mass to a vacuum sealed bag. One thing to note is when you thaw it you will need to drain the excess liquid off before using it. I had measured mine into 4 cup containers for bread, but after thawing I only had 2 cups. Something to keep in mind. (05/28/2010)

By kayrayriggs

May 26, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to freeze zucchini.

By rose0909 from Oklahoma City, OK

Answers:

October 5, 2009 Flag

What is the preferred way to freeze yellow squash and zucchini?

By ruthkri from MN

Answers:

Freezing Summer Squash

Squash has a lot of water and turns to mush easily. I cook the squash with some onion and very little water. Then I puree it and freeze it for use in soups and stews, using 2 cup and quart containers. (08/05/2009)

By EGST

Freezing Summer Squash

Go to: www.pickyourown.org.

I use this through all my gardening season. Tells you how to freeze anything from A to Z. (08/06/2009)

By maggie3956

August 4, 2009 Flag

What is the best way to freeze yellow summer squash?

Murray from Westbrook, Maine

Answers:

Freezing Summer Squash

The only way I've ever done it is to cook it with a bunch of onion chopped in large hunks, cook until done, drain and drain and drain and then mash with lots of butter or margarine and salt and pepper, and then freeze it in plastic freezer cartons. I have never had enough to freeze for fried or whatever, and this is the only other way we like it. (08/08/2006)

By Linda in Missouri

Freezing Summer Squash

I got this advice from a friend of mine who puts up lots of veggies for the winter. I have put the yellow squash in my freezer according to her instructions, but have not actually taken any out and cooked it. She says they will keep 3 or 4 months with this procedure.

Wash the squash and dry. Do not peel. Prepare brown paper lunch bags by slipping them one inside the next until you have about 4 layers, then slice the squash and place them in the inner bag. Fold the tops down a couple folds and staple the bag shut. She has been doing this for a long time with large amounts of both yellow and zucchini squash, so I trust her that this works. (08/08/2006)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Freezing Summer Squash

I simply wash the squash with cold water and then slice to the thickness I want to use. I then freeze them in Ziploc bags. You can also lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze, then put in the Ziploc bag or other freezer container. If I am using zucchini, etc for bread or cake recipes, I shred it and pre measure it before freezing it. (08/09/2006)

By hvnlyhills

Freezing Summer Squash

I dice, saute with garlic and onions (and zucchini if I have it). I then freeze and use with diced tomatoes as a delicious tomato sauce. I serve it with grilled chicken. Even the kids eat it! Yum. (08/12/2006)

By Diana

Freezing Summer Squash

I wash and slice about an inch thick, zap in the micro for one minute only. Dunk in ice water and then drain. I pack with cherry tomatoes, halved in quart bags and freeze. To cook, I put one T of oil and I T of butter in a pan. I add 1 tsp chopped garlic from a jar, some Italian herbs, and the veggies. Drain out the water as it oozes out of the veggies, but set it aside. As the veggies cook, they'll need more water. I add it back in a bit at a time until I've added back all the water. When cooked and no water is left, I sprinkle some shredded Parmesan on top and that's it! (11/09/2008)

Freezing Summer Squash

With zucchini I will puree in a food processor, freeze in muffin tins, put in Ziploc gallon bags and add to soups later. I also do this with squash like acorn and butternut in the fall. (07/31/2009)

By lsgardengal

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesJuly 17, 2010
Canning Summer Squash and Zucchini
Canning Summer Squash and Zucchini
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
basket of sweet potato squash
Growing Sweet Potato Squash (Delicata Squash)
summer squash
Drying Squash
🎉
🎄