Cleaning a Trombone

By gbk 45 368

I was given a horn (trombone) and it has set in an old vacant house in the south in its case for 8 years, with no care. How do I clean this safely?

Old trombone in case.

By gbk from south GA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Paulette Gulakowski 7 177 Flag

I am a retired band director and have cleaned trombones and trumpets. Clean the trombone in the bathtub with warm soapy water, dish soap like Dawn is fine. Take it apart, being careful not to dent it or bend the slide. Wash outside with a soft cloth. Clean inside the slide tubes and the bell with a swab (brush on a long spring) that you can purchase in a music store. Rinse in running water and dry outside. Put slide oil on the slide tubes and barest hint of Vaseline on the connector joint. This process gets rid of the dirt and yucky green stuff you find in every horn that hasn't been cleaned in a while.

The case will need to be vacuumed thoroughly, surface cleaned (plain water is probably best) and set in hot sun for several days. Otherwise it will smell musty and may grow insect larva.

Your instrument looks like an Olds I have. It will not get shiny when clean.

Oh, and don't store the music book in the case. It may bend delicate parts!

Consider learning to play the instrument!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

You can clean the outside with any brass cleaner - just be careful not to get it in the works. If you really want to play it - I would recommend taking it into an instrument repairman to make sure it's all playable. If you are brave, there are instructions you can find on the net about about to maintain instruments. Be glad it was in a case - that protects it to a great degree.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Suntydt 75 877 Flag

If your intent is to eventually play it or you want to sell a "playable" trumpet go to a music shop and find someone who knows what they are doing. You could ruin it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By gbk 45 368 Flag

Thanks you all. I think I'll check with a music shop as you suggest. No, I don't want to play it, but might sell it when I get all its history sorted out. I have found out that it is a 1958 F.E. Olds & Sons and made in California.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Trombone
Cleaning a Trombone
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousOctober 18, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Trombone
Cleaning a Trombone
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:28:13 PM on 10.0.2.28 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings