Removing Odors From Jar Lids

I'd like to save some glass jars that pickles, salsa, tomato sauces, etc. come in, but I can't get rid of the odor on the lids. I've tried soaking them in baking soda, bleach, etc., but I haven't come up with anything that will eliminate the smell. Any suggestions?

Carolb from Ontario, Canada

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Kelly 20 512 06/11/2006

I have never tried this on metal lids, but I use lemon juice (full strength) on my cutting boards after acidic foods (like onions, tomatoes, garlic, peppers) and I never have a trace of scent! I also rub it in my hands if the soap doesn't rid it. Maybe wet a towel and wipe them down or soak them if needed?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sharyl 14 74 06/13/2006

Hi We usually put water in them and very gently place them in a flat part of the freezer and just leave them for a week or so - this works only sometimes

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Coreen (Guest Post) 06/13/2006

Just keep soaking them with water for about a week or ten days, changing the water every day. I've done lots of them. This works for plastic 5 gallon buckets, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sherrye (Guest Post) 06/14/2006

I have put the lids out in the hot sun for a few days and the odor will be gone. Works especially good for lids on "Dill" pickles when I want to reuse the jar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By judy (Guest Post) 06/14/2006

I use dry Mustard mixed with water and leave it in the jar for about 24 hours.

It should not be a thick mixture, but rather thin so you can shake the jar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

try making a paste using water and baking soda, allow to sit then rinse well

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No