Removing Odors From Jar Lids

I'd like to save some glass jars that pickles, salsa, tomato sauces, etc. come in, but I can't get rid of the odor on the lids. I've tried soaking them in baking soda, bleach, etc., but I haven't come up with anything that will eliminate the smell. Any suggestions?

Carolb from Ontario, Canada

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have never tried this on metal lids, but I use lemon juice (full strength) on my cutting boards after acidic foods (like onions, tomatoes, garlic, peppers) and I never have a trace of scent! I also rub it in my hands if the soap doesn't rid it. Maybe wet a towel and wipe them down or soak them if needed?

Hi We usually put water in them and very gently place them in a flat part of the freezer and just leave them for a week or so - this works only sometimes

Just keep soaking them with water for about a week or ten days, changing the water every day. I've done lots of them. This works for plastic 5 gallon buckets, too.

I have put the lids out in the hot sun for a few days and the odor will be gone. Works especially good for lids on "Dill" pickles when I want to reuse the jar.

ahola,

I use dry Mustard mixed with water and leave it in the jar for about 24 hours.

It should not be a thick mixture, but rather thin so you can shake the jar.

try making a paste using water and baking soda, allow to sit then rinse well

Answer

Better Living Green Living Recycling GlassJune 11, 2006
Jar Lids
Uses for Jar Lids
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 4:06:03 PM on 10.0.0.238 in 835 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.