Removing Odors From Jar Lids

I'd like to save some glass jars that pickles, salsa, tomato sauces, etc. come in, but I can't get rid of the odor on the lids. I've tried soaking them in baking soda, bleach, etc., but I haven't come up with anything that will eliminate the smell. Any suggestions?

Carolb from Ontario, Canada

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I have put the lids out in the hot sun for a few days and the odor will be gone. Works especially good for lids on "Dill" pickles when I want to reuse the jar.

Best Answer

I use dry mustard mixed with water and leave it in the jar for about 24 hours.

It should not be a thick mixture, but rather thin so you can shake the jar.

Best Answer

Try making a paste using water and baking soda, allow to sit and then rinse well.

I have never tried this on metal lids, but I use lemon juice (full strength) on my cutting boards after acidic foods (like onions, tomatoes, garlic, peppers) and I never have a trace of scent! I also rub it in my hands if the soap doesn't rid it. Maybe wet a towel and wipe them down or soak them if needed?

Hi We usually put water in them and very gently place them in a flat part of the freezer and just leave them for a week or so - this works only sometimes

Just keep soaking them with water for about a week or ten days, changing the water every day. I've done lots of them. This works for plastic 5 gallon buckets, too.

A shelf full of jars of preserved fruits and vegetables.
Removing Odors from Jar Lids
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 11, 2006
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 3:28:24 AM on 10.0.0.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.