Removing Odors from Jar Lids

Category Odors
Depending on the jar's contents, sometimes the lid will retain an odor. This is a guide about removing odors from jar lids.

I like to keep and reuse glass jars from food products for storage, crafts, etc. I recently used up the last of my bottled garlic and love the jar. The only problem is that the cap still smells strongly of garlic even after hand washing, several dishwasher cycles, soaking in white vinegar, and soaking in lemon juice. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? Thanks!

Tracey from Chisholm, MN

Answers

Best Answer

Try closing some coffee grounds in the jar (tightly sealed) for a week or so, and see if that helps?

Best Answer

I have good luck with using a piece of newspaper, the blacker - with ink - the better. Just stick it down in the jar and screw the lid on. It may take several days, and you might want to change the newspaper after about a week. I just habitually do this with any jar I want to save and when I get ready to use it I only have to give it a wash and it is good to go. Hope this will be helpful to you.

Best Answer

You might let it sit in fresh kitty litter for a while and then wash in the dish washer, or maybe let it sit out in the sun for several hours.

Best Answer

Try putting some baking soda, dry or slightly dampened, into the lid and letting it sit for a week or so. Baking soda is a good deodorizer, and the opposite of the acidic things you have been trying, so it might do the trick for this. If this, or the other things don't work, might be easier to look for a matching lid from some other jar.

I'd like to save some glass jars that pickles, salsa, tomato sauces, etc. come in, but I can't get rid of the odor on the lids. I've tried soaking them in baking soda, bleach, etc., but I haven't come up with anything that will eliminate the smell. Any suggestions?

Carolb from Ontario, Canada

Answers

Best Answer

I have put the lids out in the hot sun for a few days and the odor will be gone. Works especially good for lids on "Dill" pickles when I want to reuse the jar.

Best Answer

I use dry mustard mixed with water and leave it in the jar for about 24 hours.

It should not be a thick mixture, but rather thin so you can shake the jar.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Try making a paste using water and baking soda, allow to sit and then rinse well.