Browsing: Getting Rid of Snails

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Snails

This is a guide about getting rid of snails. Although many people think snails are cute, they can be devastating to your yard and garden.

A snail on a flower stalk.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 9, 2016 Flag

How do you get rid of snails? I have been losing flowers for years. I planted smaller plants and they would eat the roots away so quickly. They can destroy up to 10 a night. I then planted over 80+ large plants going down the sides and across the front of my house. Still 5-6 plants at a time would be eaten over night, only a handful have survived. I don't really have a slug problem. I've used the snail and slug pellets, I've put moist things and pots down to gather them together and I've removed the snails early in the AM, but they are too many everywhere. The two pictures are after the snails have eaten the roots. Please help me :(

Getting Rid of Snails in the Garden
    Getting Rid of Snails in the Garden
    Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

diatomaceous earth - it causes them to dry out

July 27, 2010 Flag

I seem to be having an explosion of new snails on my plants. What are you using to stop the cute little things?

By Betty from Ocala, FL

Back in the Spring, we had a similar problem and needed a reasonable way to get rid of them. I don't know how big your garden is, so depending on size, consider the following options.

If relatively small, a salt shaker goes a long way. sprinkle a titch of salt directly on the slugs to kill them almost instantly. if your garden is a little too large for this or you are unable to 'catch them in the act', grind up egg shells and spread the crushed up shells around the base of the plants. Slugs and snails find that finely ground shells as uncomfortable to crawl across and will avoid those areas. If you have a swimming pool that uses a filter, the diatomaceous earth used by the filter also works remarkably well when applied in the same manner.

Many people recommend putting out shallow bowls of beer, however I live in an area with a large population of raccoons and opposums and have found that the local wildlife will drink the bowls dry. (BTW: Raccoons are not happy drunks.)

Think about your landscaping. If you are using wood chips or have mulches around your plants, you are also providing a comfortable habitat for slugs to flourish. pull the mulch and leaf litter back from the plant stems and leaves.

All of the above suggestions, not only are frugal solutions but very green and comply with Organic methodologies. good luck!

I have 5 pet box turtles in the fenced-in back yard. and no snails or slugs!

Read More Answers...

April 19, 2015 Flag

snail inside flowerHow can I get rid of tiny snails in my vegetable garden? They are eating my plants.

By LuyBaby

Take a plastic cup, fill it with beer, the bury the bottom so that only the lip of it is over the dirt, by morning, you should have a nice "Cup 'o Snails".

April 5, 2015 Flag

several snailsI don't have anything in my yard except grass. We have over 20 snails daily on the outside walls of the house. Egg shells are out of the question because of our 2 dogs. Is there anything else recommended that is pet safe?

By Terry from Jarrell, TX

You can use copper stripping. If you put it around your plants the snails/slugs will die. You can also sink a dish into the soil with beer and they will go after it and drown.

September 23, 2010 Flag

Don't throw out eggshells. Crush them up and throw them into your garden. They provide needed calcium to the soil as they decompose and the sharp-edged shells keep snails out of your beds.

Diatomaceous earth, available in pool supply stores, works as well. If the snails try to crawl over either material, the sharp edges slices up their obnoxious bellies.

By lindal from Vista, CA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 9, 2011 Flag

In the fall, if you have problems with snails, lay down an old wood board in edge of your garden. During the winter months, the snails will crawl under the board. When spring comes, go out and turn the board over. Take a box of salt and sprinkle on the snails - it will melt them. Then you can rake them out of the garden. If it doesn't get all of them, just repeat the salt again.

By mamacrafter from TN

May 15, 2011 Flag

What's a natural way to get rid of snails in my garden?

By Petunia53

Try crushed egg shells.

Thank you to "gbilly"....I had heard of that hint before and forgot about it. I'll give it a try! Thanks again!

March 25, 2013 Flag

What does having snails on the outside of the house indicate?

By Bob

You have snails or slugs? Big difference.

May 28, 2012 Flag

What is good to use to keep the snails from eating my beet greens as they come up?
    Thanks.

By Gail

Get a 600ml coke bottle, cut the bottom off the bottle. Throw away the top piece of the bottle. Pour some beer into the bottom piece of the bottle then sit the tub in the garden.

The snails get attracted to the beer, and will eventually fall in and drown. Good luck!

February 1, 2006 Flag

To prevent snails from eating a new seedling you've just planted outdoors, put a ring of new, unused coffee grounds down around the plant. I dampen the grounds just a little to keep them from blowing away. Make sure it's UNused grounds; it's the caffeine that the snails hate.

By Lynn from Chico, CA

July 27, 2010 Flag

What's a homemade way to get rid of slugs and snails?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Answers:

Getting Rid of Snails

I've never had enough slugs or snails that were bothersome, but I've heard putting a shallow dish filled with beer out will attract them and then they drown or to sprinkle them with salt. It's worth a try and at least it's a living being and environmentally safe way to go. (06/10/2010)

By Deeli

Getting Rid of Snails

Slugs usually don't come to bother us till about end of August into September. The beer is a good thing, set it near the garden and also in the garden. They like the beer, they bloat and die from it, here in MN, zone 4. (06/10/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Getting Rid of Snails

1. Put out a jar lid full of beer and the snails and slugs will go in it at night and be killed. Replenish daily as needed.

2. Get a duck. They eat snails. (06/11/2010)

By kemperjl

Getting Rid of Snails

I think salt kills snails, but not sure if it will also harm the plants. (06/14/2010)

By mollyring

June 10, 2010 Flag

How can you get rid of snails eating your potted plants?

By jr112748 from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Getting Rid of Snails

When I was little I remember my dad pouring salt on snails to kill them. (05/10/2009)

By theseamstress

Getting Rid of Snails

I've read that you can fill saucers with beer and set it among your plants. The snails crawl in to get the sweet (?) smelling stuff and drown...must be like people who "drown" their troubles a little too often in the stuff! (05/11/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Getting Rid of Snails

A saucer of beer works with slugs also. (05/11/2009)

By jabsgram

Getting Rid of Snails

Coffee might be good, only you can't use it all the time or even fresh, cause the acids with eventually burn the plants. I have tried the beer thing, and maybe my pests don't like to drink, I don't know, but it didn't work. I have heard that diatomaceous earth is really good, cause it's the skeletons of diatoms and cuts them up when they crawl over it.

I personally use a product called "Green Light" snail and bug bait. It works on a lot of those critters that damage plants and do most of their eating at night. Just water well, sprinkle it like salt around the plants and the 1st night there won't be many, the 2nd night there will be more, but from the 3rd night on, it looks like they came to have a party and died. This stuff is great and it looks like small saw dust, so you can hardly see it. (05/16/2009)

By c t

Getting Rid of Snails

Find their family nests before killing only a few, by turning over rocks, boards, anything they can crawl under, even flower pots, or around garbage.

Once found, apply table salt to them. Then sprinkle buggetta snail bait pellets, not powder, around each plant right after a rain or your own watering, but never before because water will melt the bait into mush. Do not over-do, but sprinkle enough so you can see it where you saw the snails last. If your ground is dark, try mixing play sand with the pellets so you can tell where you have been and how much you are using.

They like darkness, moisture, screens, and foliage of most any kind, especially veggies and edible flowers/leaves. The bait will kill sow-bugs/pill bugs/roly-polies (all same) as well, earwigs, centipedes, and I believe silver-fish.

Read the directions on the container very well, apply only on a still day, marking on the container when you used it first, wear gloves. Keep container closed when not using or when storing residual. Do not breathe any dust that might be found in the product. Apply around piles, wood, and even old stumps. If it rains, you must reapply immediately. Watch the weather for when you have three days or more of sun instead to apply so that when the snails are drawn to it, they will also have plenty of time to eat it. Reapply every ten days until no sign of any live snails are anywhere. God bless and help you. : ) (05/18/2009)

By lyndagayle62

May 10, 2009 Flag

This is only my second summer at my new home. Last year I was so pleased to see plants and trees growing nicely until I started noticing holes in all the leaves. It appears I have some very hungry visitors in the form of snails. I was told snails indicate good soil but I would prefer to do without them. How can I get rid of snails or at least discourage them from visiting this summer

Lynn from Toronto, Ontario

Answers:

Getting Rid of Snails

I use the blue bottle of Bayer Rose 3-in-1 I believe it's called. It works on everything, from green bugs on roses, to my tree that we happened to spray it with. The tree was losing its leaves on the top (after a week it looked completely healthy again like before). We use it on our garden even. It works wonderfully, I recommend it. Anytime you see anything from a bug, to insect bites and other remedies don't work quick enough, then use it. (04/30/2008)

By Cathy

April 28, 2008 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    Home and Garden Pest Control Slugs and SnailsSeptember 1, 2011
    Closeup of a gopher.
    Getting Rid of Gophers
    A small snail next to a dime.
    Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House
    Closeup of green bodied house fly.
    Getting Rid of Flies
    iTunes icon on a phone
    Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 3:47:45 PM on 10.0.1.202 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.