Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House

It is upsetting to encounter these slimy creatures in your home. This guide is about getting rid of slugs and snails in the house.

Slugs are getting in through a hole in the kitchen floor. I told my parents, but they don't seem too concerned. It was just one maybe every 4 weeks. I went in my kitchen earlier and found four of the slimy things. I am very squeamish and they have caused me to not eat in days. I can't walk through my own home without wearing my ACU boots. Can some one give a way to get rid of them?

By daveslone1929 from Seattle, WA

Answers

Plug the hole up with caulk. A small tube of caulk is very inexpensive at many stores. I had ants coming in a small hole in my ceiling and plugged the hole with caulk & am free now. You can fix this yourself today to be slug free forever.

How can I get rid of slugs? They come in my living room every night and climb over everything and leave their awful slime. I got one the other night so thought that would be the end of it, but no. There must be loads of them! I need some help on this, the slime is driving me mad.

By Dawn Rose from UK

Answers

Find out where they come in then place a thin strip of copper foil tape along the door base or window. The slugs won't crawl over copper. This is great for window boxes! You can find copper tape at plant nurseries or hardware stores. I bought a large roll for around $5 - $7. It comes in several thickness. A thin piece of real copper screwed down will also work.

Slugs don't like to crawl over anything scratchy like sand that cuts. Put some around the outside of the house. You could also glue loose sand over a large cardboard and lay it down at night where the slugs are entering/exiting once you learn that and lift it during the daytime. Good luck!

I would sprinkle salt over doorways and on the carpet and all over. I do that for flea control also in the house, that and vacuuming. I hate slugs. I know they hate salt so I would put salt over everything.

Put out a glass of old beer. Or do you call it ale in the UK? I remember some gardener telling me that that will get rid of them.

Wow! I am so pleased to know that I'm not alone. The post by Stuart on 01/14/09 sounds just like my situation. In fact, I first saw the trails on my carpet two weeks ago and couldn't figure out what was happening. Then last week I caught one and put it outside.

I thought that was it. But then, tonight I ended up relocating three more slugs. So- I promptly freaked out and searched online about how to get rid of them. I'm now concerned that they may have laid some eggs under my filing cabinet or bookshelf. I will try your suggestions with the salt tonight! Thank you all for posting.

Salt! Salt will stop them in their tracks, I put Sea Salt on my porch and anywhere else I see them, they are stopped immediately and die. Doesn't have to be sea salt, it's just easier to see where you've put it.

Hi I don't even know how they are getting inside back kitchen! Looking at drain pipes outside no holes around them, solid concrete floor, no gap under back door now, please how are they getting in, any answers?

I have slugs in my kitchen. I don't just want to kill them - I want to be rid of them. How do I do this? They climb up into my silverware drawer, my cupboard where I keep my pots and pans and now they are bold enough to be on my back door. I live in a very moist area due to the fact that I am near the water, a lot of mold and moisture. How do get rid of these disgusting creatures?

pms6474

Answers

By Michawn (Guest Post)

I can't think of any way to get rid of them without killing them. I do know a GREAT way that they can leave you alone, and they won't feel any pain. Set out a pie dish of beer, they'll drink to their hearts delight and die drunk. As for getting rid of them? Don't know, all I know is ewww, I hope you find something, I thought ants in the kitchen were strange!

By tina (Guest Post)

lay out some salt like around the area u dont want them. maybe if u know were they are coming from u could lay salt there. it kills them and keeps them out i find.

By Tina (Guest Post)

Try pouring salt where you think they may be entering your home. They will not cross it, as it sucks the moisture from their body.

By the way, if you do ever want to be rid of them, you can pour salt on them.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

I've heard that slugs carry some of the worst soil born viruses, bacteria, and fungus. I'd put out LOTS of plates of beer, and since salt it is so cheap.
I'd turn over every rock, pot, slab, stepping stone, piece of wood, leaf pile, then look in every single cranny for their houses and babies, THEN , when found, pour a one inch wide ring around their house and YOUR house, to be certain they are kept at bay. I'd make a monthly ritual of this since you live by the water from which they come the most.

Also, I'd sprinkle salt around every single pipe
opening, on the floor of every cabinet/pantry/closet,
AND sprinkle it into the tracks of all doorways, and

keep doing it until the numbers are so small that
they dare not cross the lines. Remember that many
plants don't like salt, so go OUTSIDE the plants/shrubs/tree drip lines with the salt. These things eat plants of MANY kinds, as well, so you'll be doing great warfare by your efforts, the medical reasons being the more important, obviously. Don't let your children play with them. Wash/bleach all dishes and silverware a.s.a.p. and place them in bags temporarily, until you get these things under control! They're nasty, believe me. God be with you. : )

I had this problem when I was replacing some wood rot in my kitchen.

You'll need to reduce moisture conditions (check pipes for leaks and excessive moisture too) as much as possible and invest in a couple of tubes of silicon caulking to seal up any points of entry they might have and replacing anything that has rot in it

The problem with spreading beer out is that it will kill some slugs, you risk attracting roaches and ants in large numbers. Take some salt and mix it in water and lightly spray it in areas where you find the slugs most often and routinely clean with stuff that has bleach in it.

By (Guest Post)

after reading all the other comments a feel a bit better known am not the only one got slugs in my kitchen thank god they are horrible am going to try salt tonight fingers cossed a wont wake up to find more trails

By mary (Guest Post)

I have slugs every were in my kitchen sun room everywhere. I don't know how 2 get the out of my house I tried 2 put salt every were but still it doesn't work.

By Rebecca (Guest Post)

You could find them when they come out at night, catch them and relocate them to a forest/park

Put copper tape across the bottom of your doors, outside.They will NOT cross the copper. Hardware stores or Lowes will have some. Since it is a tape, just peel and stick.

I can't tell were they come from what ever I try!
My mission is on.
First attempt-Day one: I am traking the beast by attaching(as gently as possible)a piece of string to it and with piece of white paper at the other end of the string, will see tomorow if I can locate them!
Will let you know...
Meanwile, Tell me why they attracted to my house, the damp? is it a sign that my house structure is geting old? any answer?

Do slugs' slimy trails cause any health problems for humans? They have been coming into my home for a couple of months now. I am at my wits end; I do have a dog as well. Thanks.

By Rita

Recently I've been encountering these creatures in and around my bedroom bin. I could see the trails and it seems like it makes quite a few around to it, but doesn't leave a trail of where it comes and goes. I've chucked them away twice and today there were two of them. They come out snuggishly when it's quiet in the room. Is it my bin, or due to a spillage of beet in my bin?
It's just annoying.

By Nikesh from London

Please help. A week or 2 ago I woke up to find snail trails on my front room carpet. I have put dishes with salt and beer (Carling), but they just went around the dish. Then I put salt down around the dishes, that didn't work. I have a dog and 2 cats and don't wanna put poison done in case it harms them. I woke up this morning to find it's trail leading to the back of my TV but I've looked everywhere and no sign. I'm getting pretty fed up :-(

By Kerry

Every morning when I get up there are these snot-like trails on my living room carpet. It's easy to wipe off, but I have an eighteen month old grand daughter that plays on that carpet and I am worried that she could catch something from what the snot might leave behind, even when cleaned off. If someone could tell me what to do, for instance is there a spray or something that will deter whatever it is slug or snail, I would be very grateful.

By Stuart .G

How to I get rid of snails? It's be very much disturbing to have them in my house. They are mainly in the toilets and on the house walls? They are in the kitchen also. I tried many things, but nothing has worked properly? I am really scare about the rainy season as at that time there are more of them. Please help me. I am looking for a good solution.

I live in a ground floor apartment and have a dog, so salt in my carpet is out of the question. I find them in my kitchen and I know they are harmless, just gross. My complex can't figure it out and the bug man can't either. Any suggestions that won't harm my dog? (He's just a puppy.)

By Laura from Charlotte, NC

Answers

Pour beer in a bowl. Sit it on the floor and the slugs will crawl in it and drown. Works every time.
From Dale in Houston

There is a slug/snail in my porch. It has been lurking around for a few months, I have tried over and over again to find it, but I can't. Is there anything I can put down to try and get rid of them?

By Shirley J from Scunthorpe

How do I stop snails from getting into my house?

Every morning we are getting up to find slug trails at our fireplace. I have also seen snails there. What do we do too stop this?

By James

I would like to know what can I use to clean my bathroom wall. I'm working and we are a family of 6 so time for is limited and I don't have a lot of energy, as I'm the only woman in the house. The small snails come from the joints between the gaps of the wall and the bath. I tried to close them, but the snails came again. I have a feeling I may need to break the wall and see where they coming from.

By Mavis M.

I am in a rented property that has a slug problem in the lounge. Will the slugs harm my furniture? I have a leather sofa, wood furniture, and soft furnishings.

By Gail

I live in an upstairs apartment that is kept very cool and dry year round and until last week I've never even seen a roach in my apartment. All of a sudden, I am finding these tiny light pinkish slimy things here and there, and now in my bed. Yuck!

I remembered what roaches look and feel like as adults but never have seen these snot size slimy cool wet ones though. I found them here and compared them to the pictures, I think they are baby slugs yet I can't find an answer as to why I have suddenly been infested with them or where they could be coming from. There's not even a slim trail nor any adult ones anywhere. I have searched my entire place and no signs of any slugs big or small. Where are they coming from and how did they get here?

Answers

By (Guest Post)

They could be fruit fly larvae or termite eggs. Is it possible a piece of food is stuck some where you can't see?

I have noticed slug trails in my home (dining room) by my patio windows. I can't find where they are coming in.

By Susan

We have been finding slugs in the sitting room by the settee and by the fire in the morning. We can't find out where they're coming from. We have recently put wooden flooring down. Where could they be coming in from? Please help.

Chris

Answers:

Slugs Inside My House

I have had the disgusting little things in my kitchen and by my back deck. My sons were quite amazed as we had a little science experiment watching what happens when you put salt on them. A note to people having trouble locating where they are coming from- I noticed that they were coming from under a newly replaced dishwasher, and once we noticed that, we realized that we had a leak in our sink pipes- could be a clue to a problem. (10/27/2008)

By faithbreeze

Slugs are gross.

We have recurring slugs in our kitchen (the first one I found was on a clean dish in the sink- I named him Horatio)... And about 10 minutes ago, I found one crawling under my clothes dryer and by the time I got prepped with rubber gloves and toilet paper to take care of him, he had vanished under it. I proceeded to throw salt at him but don't know if it did any good.

We have constant slugs in our house, but it's about 40 degrees outside and Halloween (and yes, it was a spooky surprise)! I didn't know they could endure cold and my mom is less than enthused about the beer technique, but the salt doesn't seem to be working that well. At what store can I find copper tape?

Thanks to everyone and it makes me feel tons better to know that other non-nasty people have slugs in their houses, too. HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :) (10/31/2008)

By Rosealicious

Slugs Inside My House

Oh I'm thrilled I am not the only one. I found a slug in my living room a week ago and then we found slug trails today, it seems to be coming in through the heater. I am going to try using salt but we'll see. (11/13/2008)

By Madi

Slugs Inside My House

My daughter found a slug in her room. Poor thing almost passed out. We have a water leak in our bathroom and it was raining for three days. I will tell my landlord and try some of the sluggestions, lol. (11/15/2008)

By grossedout

Slugs Inside My House

I have the slug problem. Got rid of 3 big ones a few months ago and thought the problem had gone away. Then came down stairs the other night and found 8 smaller ones. The temp outside is approx -2 so can't understand how they can survive that? Is it possible they could already be in the house and just come out for food at night, as I seriously can't work out where they are getting in. Think I will have to stay up one night to do some spy work! (12/12/2008)

By Hollie

Slugs Inside My House

Nasty, nasty slugs. I have found them on my kitchen floor many times, but when I walked in the kitchen last evening and found one on my stove top that did it for me, and the nasty critter was eating away on a recipe I had printed out to use. Makes me feel like my house is dirty. I was embarrassed to tell anyone about this problem, but clearly I am not alone. They are definitely unwelcome guests. (12/12/2008)

By L. Rutt

Slugs Inside My House

I have a concrete driveway so I don't understand where these slugs are coming from. They are always on the inside of the front door or on the floor, eeww!

It seems only at winter and late evening night they appear. They are quite big and grey in colour with dark spots. I kill them with salt, it's like they burn and bubble and die. Then I get my husband to clean them out.
(12/21/2008)

By sabrina

Slugs Inside My House

I get slugs in cupboard under the sink. This is where I keep the cat and dog food. Don't find them everyday but when I pick up the food to feed them in the morning they are stuck to the bottom of the bags. This morning I found one in the bag eating away. I read a few people are saying they're attracted to the food. I think I'll put the food in plastic containers. Hopefully that will solve the problem and if not, I usually have beer around the house. I'm afraid it will attract them, like a drunk slug party, instead of deterring them. Anyone have ideas? (01/09/2009)

By Tracy

Slugs Inside My House

I had hoped for a solution to my slug problem but I have tried all these suggestions without success. I find trails that start and end on the carpet but they are always starting from a point on the carpet and meander around and then end, again on the carpet. Surely there must be a powder that can be applied to the carpet that will eliminate them. (01/14/2009)

By Stuart

Slugs Inside My House

They are coming in from potatoes. Every time I buy potatoes, even if I put them in water, I find snails. It makes me not want to eat potatoes because I wonder how they are in them. (02/21/2009)

By KATHRYN

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.