Getting Rid of Snails

This is a guide about getting rid of snails. Although many people think snails are cute, they can be devastating to your yard and garden.

Don't throw out eggshells. Crush them up and throw them into your garden. They provide needed calcium to the soil as they decompose and the sharp-edged shells keep snails out of your beds.

Diatomaceous earth, available in pool supply stores, works as well. If the snails try to crawl over either material, the sharp edges slices up their obnoxious bellies.

By Linda L. from Vista, CA

In the fall, if you have problems with snails, lay down an old wood board in edge of your garden. During the winter months, the snails will crawl under the board. When spring comes, go out and turn the board over. Take a box of salt and sprinkle on the snails - it will melt them. Then you can rake them out of the garden. If it doesn't get all of them, just repeat the salt again.

By mamacrafter from TN

To prevent snails from eating a new seedling you've just planted outdoors, put a ring of new, unused coffee grounds down around the plant. I dampen the grounds just a little to keep them from blowing away. Make sure it's UNused grounds; it's the caffeine that the snails hate.

By Lynn from Chico, CA

I seem to be having an explosion of new snails on my plants. What are you using to stop the cute little things?

By cybergrannie from Ocala, FL

Answers

Put some shallow containers with beer in them in the garden. Make sure the side of the container are not too high for the snails to crawl up. The beer attacks them! It worked for me!

You might try sprinkling area with sand, oyster shell,
anything a bit gritty. Maybe even coffee grounds, or diatomaceous earth.

I would sprinkle salt all around and they won't like it, lol. The beer one is good too.

Blessings,
Robyn

Hi and thanks everyone for all the info. I checked out the archives also.
I do not have beer but I have just found food quality diatomaceous earth and I think I will try it first and maybe some salt near my sidewalk.

Will salt kill outer plants or mess up the ground for future planting?

Yes the salt will mess up the other plants and kill them. Do the beer or go to the garden center/hardware store and get the Ortho Snails and Slugs stuff.

They will kill your whole garden, starting at the roots.

Back in the Spring, we had a similar problem and needed a reasonable way to get rid of them. I don't know how big your garden is, so depending on size, consider the following options.
If relatively small, a salt shaker goes a long way. sprinkle a titch of salt directly on the slugs to kill them almost instantly. if your garden is a little too large for this or you are unable to 'catch them in the act', grind up egg shells and spread the crushed up shells around the base of the plants. Slugs and snails find that finely ground shells as uncomfortable to crawl across and will avoid those areas. If you have a swimming pool that uses a filter, the diatomaceous earth used by the filter also works remarkably well when applied in the same manner.

Many people recommend putting out shallow bowls of beer, however I live in an area with a large population of raccoons and opposums and have found that the local wildlife will drink the bowls dry. (BTW: Raccoons are not happy drunks.)
Think about your landscaping. If you are using wood chips or have mulches around your plants, you are also providing a comfortable habitat for slugs to flourish. pull the mulch and leaf litter back from the plant stems and leaves.
All of the above suggestions, not only are frugal solutions but very green and comply with Organic methodologies. good luck!

I have 5 pet box turtles in the fenced-in back yard. and no snails or slugs!

What does having snails on the outside of the house indicate?

By Bob

Answers

You have snails or slugs? Big difference.

Very small snails that stick to the pots on my out side plants

What's a natural way to get rid of snails in my garden?

By Petunia53

Answers

Try crushed egg shells.

Thank you to "gbilly"....I had heard of that hint before and forgot about it. I'll give it a try! Thanks again!

How do you get rid of snails? I have been losing flowers for years. I planted smaller plants and they would eat the roots away so quickly. They can destroy up to 10 a night. I then planted over 80+ large plants going down the sides and across the front of my house. Still 5-6 plants at a time would be eaten over night, only a handful have survived.

I don't really have a slug problem. I've used the snail and slug pellets, I've put moist things and pots down to gather them together and I've removed the snails early in the AM, but they are too many everywhere. The two pictures are after the snails have eaten the roots. Please help me :(

Answers

diatomaceous earth - it causes them to dry out

How can I get rid of tiny snails in my vegetable garden? They are eating my plants.

By LuyBaby

Answers

Take a plastic cup, fill it with beer, the bury the bottom so that only the lip of it is over the dirt, by morning, you should have a nice "Cup 'o Snails".

I don't have anything in my yard except grass. We have over 20 snails daily on the outside walls of the house. Egg shells are out of the question because of our 2 dogs. Is there anything else recommended that is pet safe?

By Terry from Jarrell, TX

Answers

You can use copper stripping. If you put it around your plants the snails/slugs will die. You can also sink a dish into the soil with beer and they will go after it and drown.

What is good to use to keep the snails from eating my beet greens as they come up?
Thanks.

By Gail

Answers

Get a 600ml coke bottle, cut the bottom off the bottle. Throw away the top piece of the bottle. Pour some beer into the bottom piece of the bottle then sit the tub in the garden.
The snails get attracted to the beer, and will eventually fall in and drown. Good luck!

My old air conditioner had about 80 snails in it and it made a horrible noise. I could not get them out. How do I prevent them from getting into my new A/C?

By Kathy F.

What's a homemade way to get rid of slugs and snails?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Answers:

Getting Rid of Snails

I've never had enough slugs or snails that were bothersome, but I've heard putting a shallow dish filled with beer out will attract them and then they drown or to sprinkle them with salt. It's worth a try and at least it's a living being and environmentally safe way to go. (06/10/2010)

By Ann

Getting Rid of Snails

Slugs usually don't come to bother us till about end of August into September. The beer is a good thing, set it near the garden and also in the garden. They like the beer, they bloat and die from it, here in MN, zone 4. (06/10/2010)

By Grandma J

Getting Rid of Snails

1. Put out a jar lid full of beer and the snails and slugs will go in it at night and be killed. Replenish daily as needed.
  2. Get a duck. They eat snails. (06/11/2010)

By Jennifer

Getting Rid of Snails

I think salt kills snails, but not sure if it will also harm the plants. (06/14/2010)

By Molly Ringer

How can you get rid of snails eating your potted plants?

By jesse from Dallas, TX

Answers:

Getting Rid of Snails

When I was little I remember my dad pouring salt on snails to kill them. (05/10/2009)

By Julie

Getting Rid of Snails

I've read that you can fill saucers with beer and set it among your plants. The snails crawl in to get the sweet (?) smelling stuff and drown...must be like people who "drown" their troubles a little too often in the stuff! (05/11/2009)

By Judi

Getting Rid of Snails

A saucer of beer works with slugs also. (05/11/2009)

By Marlene

Getting Rid of Snails

Coffee might be good, only you can't use it all the time or even fresh, cause the acids with eventually burn the plants. I have tried the beer thing, and maybe my pests don't like to drink, I don't know, but it didn't work. I have heard that diatomaceous earth is really good, cause it's the skeletons of diatoms and cuts them up when they crawl over it.

I personally use a product called "Green Light" snail and bug bait. It works on a lot of those critters that damage plants and do most of their eating at night. Just water well, sprinkle it like salt around the plants and the 1st night there won't be many, the 2nd night there will be more, but from the 3rd night on, it looks like they came to have a party and died. This stuff is great and it looks like small saw dust, so you can hardly see it. (05/16/2009)

By christine M. Thayer

Getting Rid of Snails

Find their family nests before killing only a few, by turning over rocks, boards, anything they can crawl under, even flower pots, or around garbage.

Once found, apply table salt to them. Then sprinkle buggetta snail bait pellets, not powder, around each plant right after a rain or your own watering, but never before because water will melt the bait into mush. Do not over-do, but sprinkle enough so you can see it where you saw the snails last. If your ground is dark, try mixing play sand with the pellets so you can tell where you have been and how much you are using.

They like darkness, moisture, screens, and foliage of most any kind, especially veggies and edible flowers/leaves. The bait will kill sow-bugs/pill bugs/roly-polies (all same) as well, earwigs, centipedes, and I believe silver-fish.

Read the directions on the container very well, apply only on a still day, marking on the container when you used it first, wear gloves. Keep container closed when not using or when storing residual. Do not breathe any dust that might be found in the product. Apply around piles, wood, and even old stumps. If it rains, you must reapply immediately. Watch the weather for when you have three days or more of sun instead to apply so that when the snails are drawn to it, they will also have plenty of time to eat it. Reapply every ten days until no sign of any live snails are anywhere. God bless and help you. : ) (05/18/2009)

By lynda

Last year I was so pleased to see plants and trees growing nicely until I started noticing holes in all the leaves. It appears I have some very hungry visitors in the form of snails.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.