Snails Hate Caffeine

To prevent snails from eating a new seedling you've just planted outdoors, put a ring of new, unused coffee grounds down around the plant. I dampen the grounds just a little to keep them from blowing away. Make sure it's UNused grounds; it's the caffeine that the snails hate.

By Lynn from Chico, CA

Snails also hate sweet gum balls.We have one sweet gum tree and it drops alot of sweet gum balls. After they dry i put alot of them around the base of my hostas and other plants and the slugs will not crawl over them as the spikey part of the sweet gum balls cut the snails. After awhile the sweet gum balls will disintegrate right into the garden. Then just add a fresh layer.

hey, I am 43 and my neighbor where I grew up had one of these trees. We used to rake their leaves for them and jump into the pile, also we would have monkey ball fights with the seeds. Throwing them at each other. But, I never knew that it was called a sweet gum tree. I thought it was called a maple tree. we did not know what the seeds were called so we just named them monkey balls. Oh the memories us six kids had with that tree.