Getting Rid of Snails

I seem to be having an explosion of new snails on my plants. What are you using to stop the cute little things?

By Betty from Ocala, FL

Put some shallow containers with beer in them in the garden. Make sure the side of the container are not too high for the snails to crawl up. The beer attacks them! It worked for me!

You might try sprinkling area with sand, oyster shell,
anything a bit gritty. Maybe even coffee grounds, or diatomaceous earth.

I would sprinkle salt all around and they won't like it, lol. The beer one is good too.

Blessings,
Robyn

Hi and thanks everyone for all the info. I checked out the archives also.
I do not have beer but I have just found food quality diatomaceous earth and I think I will try it first and maybe some salt near my sidewalk.

Will salt kill outer plants or mess up the ground for future planting?

Yes the salt will mess up the other plants and kill them. Do the beer or go to the garden center/hardware store and get the Ortho Snails and Slugs stuff. They will kill your whole garden, starting at the roots.

Back in the Spring, we had a similar problem and needed a reasonable way to get rid of them. I don't know how big your garden is, so depending on size, consider the following options.
If relatively small, a salt shaker goes a long way. sprinkle a titch of salt directly on the slugs to kill them almost instantly. if your garden is a little too large for this or you are unable to 'catch them in the act', grind up egg shells and spread the crushed up shells around the base of the plants. Slugs and snails find that finely ground shells as uncomfortable to crawl across and will avoid those areas. If you have a swimming pool that uses a filter, the diatomaceous earth used by the filter also works remarkably well when applied in the same manner.

Many people recommend putting out shallow bowls of beer, however I live in an area with a large population of raccoons and opposums and have found that the local wildlife will drink the bowls dry. (BTW: Raccoons are not happy drunks.)
Think about your landscaping. If you are using wood chips or have mulches around your plants, you are also providing a comfortable habitat for slugs to flourish. pull the mulch and leaf litter back from the plant stems and leaves.
All of the above suggestions, not only are frugal solutions but very green and comply with Organic methodologies. good luck!

I have 5 pet box turtles in the fenced-in back yard. and no snails or slugs!