Activities for Someone With Parkinson's Disease

Man With Parkinson's Disease
Parkinson's disease is a neurodegenerative disorder that can make many activities difficult, but not impossible. This is a guide about activities for someone with Parkinson's disease.

My 80 year old father has been diagnosed with Parkinson's, is confined to a walker, and feels as though he has no purpose in life. I'd like to find some sort of table-top hobby that he could do, for example building wooden toys for kids in a homeless shelter, something that would give him a sense of self-worth. Any suggestions as to where I could buy kits for something like this?

By Leslie from Louisville, KY

Anonymous

There are lots of wonderful ideas in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

If your dad would enjoy assembling toys, by all means check your local craft shops for kits. However, unless pieces are large and the kits relatively simple, this might be a bit difficult for a Parkinson's patient.

You might check with your local Goodwill-Easter seals. They generally have programs and workshops for people with all types of challenges. They can assess your dad's ability level and match him with the right services. God bless you and him.

I saw some wooden 3-D kits, owls, eagles, comic monsters etc. At Harbor Freight. I don't know if this is a national chain of stores or if there is one near you. Hope it helps. GG VI

Try R.O.S. Play Therapy. It was made by a guy who was looking for something for his dad who also has parkinson's. He couldn't find anything, so he made it. bunch of different activity boards that slide in and out so you can choose the one you think will work.

I am with Scott on this one. I care for a gentleman with Parkinson's and we use the ROS system everyday.

I do caregiving for someone with Parkinson's disease. They usually go to bed at 8pm and when I arrive at 11am they are sometimes still in bed. The person that spends the night can't wake her up. A Dr. has said to just let her sleep. I just disagree. I never have a problem waking her up. I think it's important to get her up at least by 9am, so she can have her morning meds and breakfast. If she sits in the living room and sleeps in her chair so what. At least she is out around other family and not stuck in the bedroom. I think it's also important to do her daily exercises and walking. Too me leaving these patents lay in bed, means they are going to get too stiff. Am I wrong?

By RBD

Yes, I do believe they could get stiff. You are right about giving meds on a schedule, too, but more importantly, these patients need socialization with other people and not being left in a bed for hours on end. My dear dad had Parkinson's for 37 years.