Activities for Someone With Parkinson's Disease

My 80 year old father has been diagnosed with Parkinson's, is confined to a walker, and feels as though he has no purpose in life. I'd like to find some sort of table-top hobby that he could do, for example building wooden toys for kids in a homeless shelter, something that would give him a sense of self-worth. Any suggestions as to where I could buy kits for something like this?

By Leslie from Louisville, KY

Top Comment

Try R.O.S. Play Therapy. It was made by a guy who was looking for something for his dad who also has parkinson's. He couldn't find anything, so he made it. bunch of different activity boards that slide in and out so you can choose the one you think will work.

There are lots of wonderful ideas in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

If your dad would enjoy assembling toys, by all means check your local craft shops for kits. However, unless pieces are large and the kits relatively simple, this might be a bit difficult for a Parkinson's patient.

You might check with your local Goodwill-Easter seals. They generally have programs and workshops for people with all types of challenges. They can assess your dad's ability level and match him with the right services. God bless you and him.

I saw some wooden 3-D kits, owls, eagles, comic monsters etc. At Harbor Freight. I don't know if this is a national chain of stores or if there is one near you. Hope it helps. GG VI

I am with Scott on this one. I care for a gentleman with Parkinson's and we use the ROS system everyday.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 63. Symptoms were tremor in right leg, loss of handwriting ability, and soft voice. I also have difficulty rising from a seated position and have balance issues. I started out taking only Azilect, then Mirapex, and 6 months ago Sinemet. Several months ago I started falling frequently, hence the reason for Sinemet. I tried every shots available but nothing worked. In June 2018, my neurologist and I decided to go with natural treatment and was introduced to Natural Herbal Gardens natural organic Parkinsons Herbal formula, i had a total decline of symptoms with this treatment, the Tremor, falling frequently, stiffness, body weakness, balance issues, depression and others has subsided.

Visit Natural Herbal Gardens official website ww w. naturalherbalgardens. com. This treatment is a breakthrough for all suffering from Parkinsons, dont give up Hope. Keep Sharing the Awareness, herbs are truly gift from God.

Health & Beauty AdviceApril 16, 2010
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf39105287.tip.html